May I Vent?

  • Russell McCoy
    Message 1 of 81 , Apr 19, 2008
      I'm leaving Djibouti today to return to the US. I have never been
      so happy to leave a place in my life. The constant begging/scamming
      over the last six months has really worn me down. Even the hotel
      employees (who should be more professional) are jabbering at me
      hoping for a handout before I leave! One even put a note under my
      door outlining his family situation and requesting a donation! Am I
      wrong or is it bad form for employees to solicit from a guest like
      this?

      This is such a contrast to Slovakia. As most of you know, Slovakia
      is poor (especially in the East), but the people have a lot of
      pride. I used to offer to buy lunch for my friends but they never
      accepted. It offended them to think about taking money from me.
      Also, the country is so beautiful and clean. Djibouti is filthy
      with trash everywhere! You could fix the unemployment problem by
      hiring people to pick up all the trash! It just goes to show you
      that poverty does not have to go hand in hand with poor behavior.
      Slovaks maintain their dignity despite their economic situation.
      The Djiboutians use their poverty as an excuse to cast away all self-
      control!

      Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

      Russ
      Djibouti, Horn of Africa (Not for long!!)
      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
    • skeeter
      Message 81 of 81 , May 1, 2008
        Yes, the pig roast I went to out in Colorado had a small piggie, maybe 100lbs, but plenty for our gathering of about 50 people. A far cry from the 600lb hogs that my farmer-friend used to raise. Each year, they'd butcher one hog and one cow. That was meat for their family of four (and any guests) for a whole year. A portion of the meat went to the butcher as payment. That was the way people did business 40 years ago. I'm not sure if they do things like that any more. I do miss Herb & Luella's farm (they've long since passed away). 70 acres of prime farmland in central Ohio. We'd go hunting there with .22 rifles, mostly to get rid of the woodchucks/groundhogs/whistlepigs, whatever you want to call them, that were getting into the cornfields.

        From: skeeter <fbican@worldnet. att.net>
        To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 10:43 PM

        I'm going to stick with pig roasts for the time being. I'd probably be willing to try goat, too. But... I want to see you spit-roast a camel LOL!!