"Hunting" & Hunting Customs

  • Diana Boggs
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
      I am interested in old "hunting" for mates/hunting for game customs. Can anyone elaborate? If you can add the origination of customs, like from Magyarization, Germanic, etc that would be rather nifty.

      Diana

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
        Hi Diana - does this include courting customs?

        helene

        > I am interested in old "hunting" for mates/hunting
        > for game customs. Can anyone elaborate? If you can
        > add the origination of customs, like from
        > Magyarization, Germanic, etc that would be rather
        > nifty.
        >
        > Diana

        > removed]

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • skeeter
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
          I'm not sure how I got into hunting. It's one of those things that was handed down from father to son back in the day. I do recall my late dad telling me about how the GI's, at the end of WWII, were welcome into Germany to help cull the overwhelming number of deer there that were destroying there. It goes back even further, though. My grandfathers were both small game hunters, and one belonged to a hunt club on what is now the Brandywine ski area in the Cuyahoga valley near Cleveland. My grandmother could turn a rabbit into the best hassenpfeffer I've ever had. I do remember that her "secret ingredient" was lots of sour cream.

          Hunting is just a time-honored tradition in my family, but I'm afraid I might be the end of the line in my family. It's fairly hard work. The young ones just don't want to do it any more. They'd rather get carry-out food (pizza, tacos, Chinese, chicken & fries, etc.) than hunt. They have no interest at this point of holding onto the old-world. I guess that's my job.

          Kindest regards,

          --skeeter

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
            Well, if I can add a little bit...

            My mom & dad met at work (in the late '40s) and there were clubs back then (like Czeska sin Karlin) where they could dance the polka. I saw them dance when I was a kid, at weddings, mostly, and they were really good at it. No way that I could do the high-kick footwork that they did. Dad also played the accordian, and I guess that was part of the courtship ritual, too.

            --skeeter

            Hi Diana - does this include courting customs?

            helene

            > I am interested in old "hunting" for mates/hunting
            > for game customs. Can anyone elaborate? If you can
            > add the origination of customs, like from
            > Magyarization, Germanic, etc that would be rather
            > nifty.
            >
            > Diana

            > removed]

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
              Diana:

              A early member of Slovak-World, George Dolnack wrote a
              book of Pennsylvania hunting tales.

              It is on eBay as item 370047256584

              Greg