Thanks, folks

  • skeeter
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2008
      I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all for how welcome I feel in this group. My grandparents came from Prague, and my late father told me that I also had roots going further back to Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Austria. I guess I'm the family patriarch now (by default) and trying to hold onto some of my heritage. This group has been a joy to me.

      I made some jaternice last week, and it was every bit as good as I remembered it. The sekanice that I had for Easter was wonderful, too. I probably won't be able to get that for another year -- should have bought a couple more and froze them away. I know my nephews (mid 20's) have no clue what those are, and probably couldn't care less. I might be the end of the line for my Bohemian culture. Their loss, as far as I'm concerned.

      Slovak, Czesky, Polish, German, Austrian... take your pick. I just want to keep hold of my European heritage for as long as I'm on this planet. If you ever need a Czechoslovakian recipe, I've got the book, and I'll be happy to send one to you. I'm also rather good at internet searches, and can find more there as well.

      My kindest regards,

      Skeeter (aka, Franklin Bican)

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2008
        Thanks back atcha, Skeeter.

        One grandfather [father's side] was born in Vilnius &
        my mother's father was born in Parchovany SK. Good to
        see someone else has my 'mixed' heritage.

        ... and is also unashamed.

        Be well,
        Chuck

        --- skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all for how
        > welcome I feel in this group. My grandparents came
        > from Prague, and my late father told me that I also
        > had roots going further back to Lithuania, Latvia,
        > Estonia, and Austria. I guess I'm the family
        > patriarch now (by default) and trying to hold onto
        > some of my heritage. This group has been a joy to
        > me.
        >
        > I made some jaternice last week, and it was every
        > bit as good as I remembered it. The sekanice that I
        > had for Easter was wonderful, too. I probably won't
        > be able to get that for another year -- should have
        > bought a couple more and froze them away. I know my
        > nephews (mid 20's) have no clue what those are, and
        > probably couldn't care less. I might be the end of
        > the line for my Bohemian culture. Their loss, as far
        > as I'm concerned.
        >
        > Slovak, Czesky, Polish, German, Austrian... take
        > your pick. I just want to keep hold of my European
        > heritage for as long as I'm on this planet. If you
        > ever need a Czechoslovakian recipe, I've got the
        > book, and I'll be happy to send one to you. I'm
        > also rather good at internet searches, and can find
        > more there as well.
        >
        > My kindest regards,
        >
        > Skeeter (aka, Franklin Bican)

        > removed]

      • skeeter
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2008
          Chuck--

          "Good to
          see someone else has my 'mixed' heritage.

          ... and is also unashamed."

          I'm not only unashamed of my lineage, I'm PROUD of it. I've made some friends here on this internet thing-a-ma-jigger, and it's been great.

          Unfortunately, the "Slavic Village" section of Cleveland has turned into a bad neighborhood, mostly hillbilly white trash. It's a far cry from when my grandparents lived there.

          Slavic Village's Karlin Hall will be put up for sale soon
          Friday, April 20, 2007

          Robert Smith

          Plain Dealer Columnist

          Ceska sin Karlin, a pillar of Slavic Village and one of the last remnants of the old Czech neighborhood, will soon fade into history. Trustees of the Fleet Avenue social club voted recently to sell Karlin Hall rather than battle rising crime and waning interest.

          "It isn't only the changing neighborhood. It's a changing lifestyle," said Joe Kocab, 75, a trustee who followed his father into the club. "The old bands are dying off. The kids are not as interested in the music. The money's not coming in."

          The Karlin club took its name from the neighborhood around Fleet and East 55th Street, once commonly called Karlin (car-LEEN), after a suburb of Prague, distinguishing the Bohemian neighborhood from nearby Warszawa, Little Warsaw, around St. Stanislaus Church.

          Czech immigrants founded the club in 1935 and their descendents sustained it with a busy schedule of polka parties and pork-and-dumpling dinners right up until this month. The club will stage its annual Button Box Jam Sunday, April 29.

          But members long ago scattered to the suburbs and some are reluctant to come back to a neighborhood beset with rising crime. Meanwhile, younger Czech-Americans aren't as interested in polka music and beer, two offerings that always paid the bills, Kocab said.

          All regular activities will continue as scheduled for now, he said, but the hall at 5304 Fleet Ave. will soon go up for sale.

          My Grandmother used to be a prominent figure there.

          One the bright side, Jaworski's Meats has moved out into the suburbs and is now much closer to my home. Oh well, I guess that happens everywhere.

          --- skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all for how
          > welcome I feel in this group. My grandparents came
          > from Prague, and my late father told me that I also
          > had roots going further back to Lithuania, Latvia,
          > Estonia, and Austria. I guess I'm the family
          > patriarch now (by default) and trying to hold onto
          > some of my heritage. This group has been a joy to
          > me.
          >
          > I made some jaternice last week, and it was every
          > bit as good as I remembered it. The sekanice that I
          > had for Easter was wonderful, too. I probably won't
          > be able to get that for another year -- should have
          > bought a couple more and froze them away. I know my
          > nephews (mid 20's) have no clue what those are, and
          > probably couldn't care less. I might be the end of
          > the line for my Bohemian culture. Their loss, as far
          > as I'm concerned.
          >
          > Slovak, Czesky, Polish, German, Austrian... take
          > your pick. I just want to keep hold of my European
          > heritage for as long as I'm on this planet. If you
          > ever need a Czechoslovakian recipe, I've got the
          > book, and I'll be happy to send one to you. I'm
          > also rather good at internet searches, and can find
          > more there as well.
          >
          > My kindest regards,
          >
          > Skeeter (aka, Franklin Bican)

          > removed]

        • Michelle Burke
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
            My dad used to go to 55th & Fleet to hang out, when he wasn't hanging out in the bars in our own neighborhood -- Buckeye Rd. About seven years ago, before my mom died, my husband and I went to a festival in Slavic Village -- we could tell that it was just hanging on as an ethnic enclave. There aren't any Slovaks left in my old neighborhood, but I still ordered my mom's funeral flowers from Ohrbach's Florist, which hangs on by word of mouth and she was buried out of the Benedictine Abbey (by Benedictine High School), which keeps its doors opened to old St. Benedict's parishioners for funerals. Times change, but memories keeps the past alive.

            --- skeeter <fbican@worldnet. att.net> wrote:

            > I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all for how
            > welcome I feel in this group. My grandparents came
            > from Prague, and my late father told me that I also
            > had roots going further back to Lithuania, Latvia,
            > Estonia, and Austria. I guess I'm the family
            > patriarch now (by default) and trying to hold onto
            > some of my heritage. This group has been a joy to
            > me.
            >
            > I made some jaternice last week, and it was every
            > bit as good as I remembered it. The sekanice that I
            > had for Easter was wonderful, too. I probably won't
            > be able to get that for another year -- should have
            > bought a couple more and froze them away. I know my
            > nephews (mid 20's) have no clue what those are, and
            > probably couldn't care less. I might be the end of
            > the line for my Bohemian culture. Their loss, as far
            > as I'm concerned.
            >
            > Slovak, Czesky, Polish, German, Austrian... take
            > your pick. I just want to keep hold of my European
            > heritage for as long as I'm on this planet. If you
            > ever need a Czechoslovakian recipe, I've got the
            > book, and I'll be happy to send one to you. I'm
            > also rather good at internet searches, and can find
            > more there as well.
            >
            > My kindest regards,
            >
            > Skeeter (aka, Franklin Bican)

            > removed]

            http://tc.deals yahoo.com/ tc/blockbuster/ text5.com

          • skeeter
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
              Yes, it's not the same neighborhood it used to be. Jaworski's meats has moved out to Middleburg Hts., and Chamber's bakery (near Fleet and 55th), where my Slovak pal and I (we were carpoolers) used to stop every Friday for these giant cinnamon buns (another friend referred to them as "squeezo buns") is long gone. Oh well, times change and stuff happens, I guess. I'm doing my little part to keep some of the culture alive.

            • fduttry@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 16, 2008
                Skeeter,
                how do I get one of your Chezk cook books?

                Fred & Pauline
              • skeeter
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 16, 2008
                  Oh, that's simple. Amazon.com

                  http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208398144&sr=8-1

                  It's dated 1965 but still in print.

                  --skeeter

                  how do I get one of your Chezk cook books?

                  Fred & Pauline

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 16, 2008
                    At 10:15 AM 17/04/2008, you wrote: