Re: [Slovak-World] Changing to Euro

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 6, 2008
      Does anyone know anything more about Slovakia's change
      to the Euro? I just heard that a dual system will
      begin in August or Sept and then the Euro will be the
      only currency after Jan 1, 2009.

      My friend who told me joked everyone will need big
      pockets as the Euro system has coins up thru the 10
      Euro, not paper as everyone is used to there. So money
      will be heavier.

      Also be sure to get all your Slovak crowns out and
      spend them or send them to relatives or friends in
      Slovakia- likely banks will take them but only up to a
      certain date - anyone know that date? Jan 1, 09? Or
      will there be a grace period? Maybe the Aug to Jan
      period is it!

      Sad to say goodby to Slovakia's attractively designed
      paper money. I know there may well be coins with
      Slovakia on the back but somehow it won't be the same.

      helene

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 16, 2008
        > I'm referring to the early 90's.

        I completely agree with Paul. A) The Tuzex stores lost their status
        as foreign goods sellers for Western currency with the collapse of
        communism in 1989. B) What use is it to provide experiences from who
        knows when:

        > "what ever you do don't deal on the black market"

        ... phrased as advice for tourists in the 21st century.

        Martin

        votruba "t" pitt "dot" edu