Re: [Slovak-World] 1869 Hungarian Census

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
      I tried blowing it up enough to read it, but the clarity
      degenerated....it does look like it's bilingual--Hungarian and Slovak
      (I think), but couldn't make out words well enough to take a real
      stab at translation or looking up words in my Hungarian word list.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:57 PM, bojomo42 wrote:

      > I am tracing my grandparents back through Slovakia. In doing so I have
      > looked at many pages of the 1869 Hungarian Census. I started in my
      > grangparents village of origination Osuske with a lot of help from
      > many
      > of you. Following the Danko line I am now in Dobra Voda (Joko). On
      > www.iabsi.com I managed to find a translation list that has been a
      > great help to me during my search in Osuske files but now I think the
      > Dobra Voda Census is in a different language. Does anyone know what
      > the language is and can you translate column six for me? I have
      > downloaded a scanned image of the second page of one of the
      > Danko documents from the 1869 census of Dobra Voda which can be found
      > in Photos. Can anyone help me please.
      > Thank you,
      > Bojomo

    • ROBERT LISTON
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
        Would it be clearer if I emailed it directly to you and would that be OK?
        Thanks,
        Bojomo

        J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
        I tried blowing it up enough to read it, but the clarity
        degenerated....it does look like it's bilingual--Hungarian and Slovak
        (I think), but couldn't make out words well enough to take a real
        stab at translation or looking up words in my Hungarian word list.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:57 PM, bojomo42 wrote:

        > I am tracing my grandparents back through Slovakia. In doing so I have
        > looked at many pages of the 1869 Hungarian Census. I started in my
        > grangparents village of origination Osuske with a lot of help from
        > many
        > of you. Following the Danko line I am now in Dobra Voda (Joko). On
        > www.iabsi.com I managed to find a translation list that has been a
        > great help to me during my search in Osuske files but now I think the
        > Dobra Voda Census is in a different language. Does anyone know what
        > the language is and can you translate column six for me? I have
        > downloaded a scanned image of the second page of one of the
        > Danko documents from the 1869 census of Dobra Voda which can be found
        > in Photos. Can anyone help me please.
        > Thank you,
        > Bojomo

      • Mark Sabol
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
          Bojomo,

          Julie is correct, the census form is bilingual; the top half of each column heading is in Magyar/Hungarian, and the lower half is the same content in the 1860s version of Slovak. You have the heading of column 6 correctly translated as merital status. The entries are (with Slovak/Slavic words spelled the Magyar way), approximately: Dowa = widow (the standard word today is "vdova"); Zsenaty = married, said of a man (literally, it's "womaned" or "wived"); Vidata = married, said of a woman (literally, it's "given"); and Slobodny or Slobodna = single/unmarried, literally "free".

          Mark Sabol