Re: [SPAM]Re: [Slovak-World] Thanks!

  • skeeter
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
      Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

      http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

      http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

      http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

      http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

      http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

      I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

      I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

      http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

      It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

      BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

      Have a great day,

      --skeeter
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
        Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

        Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

        Caye

        bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:
        Skeeter, Caye.....

        My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
        but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
        eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
        His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
        she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
        his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
        into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
        lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
        Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

        Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
        to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
        summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
        remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
        country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
        my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

        Paul in NW Florida

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

        > Hey Skeeter:
        >
        > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
        now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
        gram's church served up.

        > Share some recipes if you can.
        >

        > Caye
        >

        > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
        > Hi, Caye--
        >
        > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
        lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

        > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
        to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
        to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

        > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
        stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
        wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

        > Kindest regards,
        >
        > --skeeter

      • skeeter
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
          That makes me laugh! I'm sure some of the things I eat (jaternice and sekanice, in particular) are probably bad for me, but my grandmothers cooked with lard and lived to their 80s and 90s. My cholesterol is high, but my HDL cholesterol is very high, so my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it.

          As far as I'm concerned, life without sausages is no life at all. Kielbasa, bratwurst, jaternice, braunschweiger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, salami, chorizo, hurka, andouille... Oh I could go on and on. I just love sausages.

          Kindest regards,

          --skeeter

          Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

          Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

          Caye

          bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:
          Skeeter, Caye.....

          My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
          but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
          eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
          His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
          she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
          his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
          into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
          lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
          Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

          Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
          to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
          summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
          remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
          country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
          my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

          Paul in NW Florida

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

          > Hey Skeeter:
          >
          > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
          now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
          gram's church served up.

          > Share some recipes if you can.
          >

          > Caye
          >

          > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
          > Hi, Caye--
          >
          > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
          lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

          > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
          to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
          to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

          > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
          stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
          wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

          > Kindest regards,
          >
          > --skeeter

        • Gergely
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 5, 2008
            Oh, the Rock Island Line. I love that song ---I got Pig Iron, I got Pig Iron......
            I recently acquired it on a Carl Perkins CD.
            Jack Gergely

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
              But have you ever had Giordano's stuffed pizza (the original) < http://www.giordanos.com/main.php >?? It was started in a family-owned neighborhood restaurant.

              >>> "skeeter" <fbican@...> 4/2/2008 2:22:47 PM >>>
              Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

              http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

              http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

              http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

              http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

              http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

              I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

              I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

              http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

              It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

              BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

              Have a great day,

              --skeeter

              >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
              >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
              >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
              >
              >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
              >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
              >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
              >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
              >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
              >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
              >a concern for me, just good food.
              >
              >Kindest regards,
              >--skeeter

            • Michelle Burke
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                I take the Rock Island Line every day from my southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@gmail. com> wrote:
                Skeeter, Caye.....

                My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                Paul in NW Florida

                --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:

                > Hey Skeeter:
                >
                > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                gram's church served up.

                > Share some recipes if you can.
                >

                > Caye
                >

                > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                > Hi, Caye--
                >
                > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                > It made me think. My sister-in-law' s late father had a favorite
                stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                > Kindest regards,
                >
                > --skeeter

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                  I'll bet I know your face, Michelle -- I've been riding the Rock Island for 30 years.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Where else but Chicago, eh?

                    --- Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                    > I take the Rock Island Line every day from my
                    > southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's
                    > now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                    === message truncated ===

                  • Russell McCoy
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                      Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                      positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!

                      Russ
                      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                    • Cathie
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Russell McCoy" <mccoy4984@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                        > positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!
                        >
                        > Russ
                        > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                        Your stories are always great no matter where they originate. We just
                        need you to be safe.