Re: [SPAM]Re: [Slovak-World] Thanks!

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hey Skeeter, where in Cleveland did you grow up? I'm from there and I use "onion breath" to keep the lawyers a few paces back, so I found your comment funny and close to "home" if you will.

      Caye

      skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
      Utopenci! Yup, that's it alright! Garlic knockwurst, onions, vinegar, and pepper. I just love the stuff. Thanks!

      --skeeter

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
        Robert
        You may want to consider checking out this website
        http://wisconsinslovakhistoricalsociety.org/
        It is based in a suburb of Milwaukee and the gentleman who edits the
        magazine is very knowledgeable.
        thanks
        Terrie
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
          Hi, Caye--

          I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

          Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

          It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

          Kindest regards,

          --skeeter

          >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
          >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
          >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
          >
          >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
          >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
          >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
          >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
          >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
          >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
          >a concern for me, just good food.
          >
          >Kindest regards,
          >--skeeter

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
            Hey Skeeter:

            I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods gram's church served up.

            Share some recipes if you can.

            Caye

            skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
            Hi, Caye--

            I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

            Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

            It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

            Kindest regards,

            --skeeter

            >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
            >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
            >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
            >
            >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
            >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
            >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
            >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
            >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
            >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
            >a concern for me, just good food.
            >
            >Kindest regards,
            >--skeeter

          • skeeter
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
              Hi, Caye--

              My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

              I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

              What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

              BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

              Have a great day,

              --skeeter

              >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
              >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
              >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
              >
              >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
              >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
              >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
              >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
              >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
              >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
              >a concern for me, just good food.
              >
              >Kindest regards,
              >--skeeter

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                Yeah I keep in touch with one of the old neighbors in MHeights, it's gone down the swanney -- lotsa empty homes too with this housing crisis.

                I like it all, you should post your recipes for all to share, thanks.

                Milwaukee's one of my favorite cities, very ethnic, so I go often, and it's close by too.

                Caye

                skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                Hi, Caye--

                My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

                I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

                What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

                BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

                Have a great day,

                --skeeter

                >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                >
                >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                >a concern for me, just good food.
                >
                >Kindest regards,
                >--skeeter

              • skeeter
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                  http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                  http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                  http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                  http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                  http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                  I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                  I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                  It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                  BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                  Have a great day,

                  --skeeter

                  >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                  >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                  >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                  >
                  >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                  >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                  >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                  >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                  >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                  >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                  >a concern for me, just good food.
                  >
                  >Kindest regards,
                  >--skeeter

                • bike_for_life2003
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                    Skeeter, Caye.....

                    My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                    but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                    eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                    His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                    she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                    his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                    into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                    lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                    Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                    Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                    to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                    summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                    remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                    country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                    my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                    Paul in NW Florida

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Skeeter:
                    >
                    > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                    now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                    gram's church served up.

                    > Share some recipes if you can.
                    >

                    > Caye
                    >

                    > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                    > Hi, Caye--
                    >
                    > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                    lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                    > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                    to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                    to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                    > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                    stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                    wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                    > Kindest regards,
                    >
                    > --skeeter

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                      Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                      Caye

                    • skeeter
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                        That makes me laugh! I'm sure some of the things I eat (jaternice and sekanice, in particular) are probably bad for me, but my grandmothers cooked with lard and lived to their 80s and 90s. My cholesterol is high, but my HDL cholesterol is very high, so my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it.

                        As far as I'm concerned, life without sausages is no life at all. Kielbasa, bratwurst, jaternice, braunschweiger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, salami, chorizo, hurka, andouille... Oh I could go on and on. I just love sausages.

                        Kindest regards,

                        --skeeter

                        Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                        Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                        Caye

                        bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:
                        Skeeter, Caye.....

                        My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                        but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                        eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                        His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                        she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                        his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                        into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                        lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                        Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                        Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                        to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                        summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                        remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                        country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                        my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                        Paul in NW Florida

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Skeeter:
                        >
                        > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                        now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                        gram's church served up.

                        > Share some recipes if you can.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >

                        > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                        > Hi, Caye--
                        >
                        > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                        lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                        > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                        to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                        to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                        > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                        stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                        wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                        > Kindest regards,
                        >
                        > --skeeter

                      • Gergely
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 5, 2008
                          Oh, the Rock Island Line. I love that song ---I got Pig Iron, I got Pig Iron......
                          I recently acquired it on a Carl Perkins CD.
                          Jack Gergely

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                            But have you ever had Giordano's stuffed pizza (the original) < http://www.giordanos.com/main.php >?? It was started in a family-owned neighborhood restaurant.

                            >>> "skeeter" <fbican@...> 4/2/2008 2:22:47 PM >>>
                            Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                            http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                            http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                            http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                            http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                            http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                            I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                            I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                            http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                            It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                            BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                            Have a great day,

                            --skeeter

                            >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                            >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                            >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                            >
                            >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                            >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                            >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                            >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                            >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                            >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                            >a concern for me, just good food.
                            >
                            >Kindest regards,
                            >--skeeter

                          • Michelle Burke
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                              I take the Rock Island Line every day from my southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                              bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@gmail. com> wrote:
                              Skeeter, Caye.....

                              My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                              but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                              eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                              His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                              she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                              his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                              into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                              lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                              Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                              Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                              to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                              summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                              remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                              country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                              my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                              Paul in NW Florida

                              --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:

                              > Hey Skeeter:
                              >
                              > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                              now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                              gram's church served up.

                              > Share some recipes if you can.
                              >

                              > Caye
                              >

                              > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                              > Hi, Caye--
                              >
                              > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                              lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                              > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                              to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                              to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                              > It made me think. My sister-in-law' s late father had a favorite
                              stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                              wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                              > Kindest regards,
                              >
                              > --skeeter

                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                I'll bet I know your face, Michelle -- I've been riding the Rock Island for 30 years.

                                Caye

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                  Where else but Chicago, eh?

                                  --- Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                                  > I take the Rock Island Line every day from my
                                  > southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's
                                  > now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                                  === message truncated ===

                                • Russell McCoy
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                    Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                    positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!

                                    Russ
                                    http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                                  • Cathie
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Russell McCoy" <mccoy4984@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                      > positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!
                                      >
                                      > Russ
                                      > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                                      Your stories are always great no matter where they originate. We just
                                      need you to be safe.