Re: [Slovak-World] Thanks!

  • ROBERT LISTON
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
      Thanks, that was interesting. I knew my grandfather was in Los Angeles because I found him in the 1920 Census with a wife (my grandmother) and daughter (my mother). I cannot find him in the 1910 Census although I have a possibility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Appreciate your help!

      skeeter <fbican@...> wrote: Here's a little bit of info about the Kovacik name,

      http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Kovacik-family-history.ashx

      Whatever you do, do not buy the book! I bought two of them, and they're expensive pieces of junk. No particular information, and filled with errors.
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
        If you do a little searching around, there were Slovak enclaves around Baltimore (port-of-entry for my ancestors), Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Ord, Nebraska. Do some "googling" around these locations and it might help you find your roots.

        The only reason I was familiar with the Kovacik name is that there was a Kovacik family directly across the street from me (Cleveland area) when I was growing up. They've long since passed away, as far as I know.

        Well, dinner for me tonight is going to be a casserole of sausage, sauerkraut, tomatos, and barley. I think it's authentic Bohunk food, but darned if I can find a recipe for it. No matter. It always turns out all right for me.

        Kindest regards,
        --skeeter

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hey Skeeter, where in Cleveland did you grow up? I'm from there and I use "onion breath" to keep the lawyers a few paces back, so I found your comment funny and close to "home" if you will.

          Caye

          skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
          Utopenci! Yup, that's it alright! Garlic knockwurst, onions, vinegar, and pepper. I just love the stuff. Thanks!

          --skeeter

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
            Robert
            You may want to consider checking out this website
            http://wisconsinslovakhistoricalsociety.org/
            It is based in a suburb of Milwaukee and the gentleman who edits the
            magazine is very knowledgeable.
            thanks
            Terrie

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
              Hi, Caye--

              I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

              Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

              It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

              Kindest regards,

              --skeeter

              >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
              >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
              >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
              >
              >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
              >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
              >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
              >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
              >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
              >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
              >a concern for me, just good food.
              >
              >Kindest regards,
              >--skeeter

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                Hey Skeeter:

                I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods gram's church served up.

                Share some recipes if you can.

                Caye

                skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                Hi, Caye--

                I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                Kindest regards,

                --skeeter

                >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                >
                >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                >a concern for me, just good food.
                >
                >Kindest regards,
                >--skeeter

              • skeeter
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Hi, Caye--

                  My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

                  I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

                  What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

                  BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

                  Have a great day,

                  --skeeter

                  >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                  >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                  >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                  >
                  >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                  >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                  >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                  >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                  >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                  >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                  >a concern for me, just good food.
                  >
                  >Kindest regards,
                  >--skeeter

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Yeah I keep in touch with one of the old neighbors in MHeights, it's gone down the swanney -- lotsa empty homes too with this housing crisis.

                    I like it all, you should post your recipes for all to share, thanks.

                    Milwaukee's one of my favorite cities, very ethnic, so I go often, and it's close by too.

                    Caye

                    skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                    Hi, Caye--

                    My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

                    I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

                    What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

                    BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

                    Have a great day,

                    --skeeter

                    >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                    >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                    >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                    >
                    >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                    >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                    >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                    >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                    >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                    >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                    >a concern for me, just good food.
                    >
                    >Kindest regards,
                    >--skeeter

                  • skeeter
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                      http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                      http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                      http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                      http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                      http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                      I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                      I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                      http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                      It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                      BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                      Have a great day,

                      --skeeter

                      >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                      >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                      >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                      >
                      >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                      >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                      >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                      >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                      >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                      >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                      >a concern for me, just good food.
                      >
                      >Kindest regards,
                      >--skeeter

                    • bike_for_life2003
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Skeeter, Caye.....

                        My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                        but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                        eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                        His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                        she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                        his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                        into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                        lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                        Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                        Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                        to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                        summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                        remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                        country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                        my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                        Paul in NW Florida

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Skeeter:
                        >
                        > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                        now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                        gram's church served up.

                        > Share some recipes if you can.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >

                        > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                        > Hi, Caye--
                        >
                        > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                        lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                        > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                        to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                        to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                        > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                        stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                        wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                        > Kindest regards,
                        >
                        > --skeeter

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                          Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                          Caye

                        • skeeter
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                            That makes me laugh! I'm sure some of the things I eat (jaternice and sekanice, in particular) are probably bad for me, but my grandmothers cooked with lard and lived to their 80s and 90s. My cholesterol is high, but my HDL cholesterol is very high, so my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it.

                            As far as I'm concerned, life without sausages is no life at all. Kielbasa, bratwurst, jaternice, braunschweiger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, salami, chorizo, hurka, andouille... Oh I could go on and on. I just love sausages.

                            Kindest regards,

                            --skeeter

                            Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                            Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                            Caye

                            bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:
                            Skeeter, Caye.....

                            My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                            but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                            eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                            His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                            she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                            his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                            into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                            lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                            Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                            Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                            to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                            summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                            remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                            country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                            my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                            Paul in NW Florida

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                            > Hey Skeeter:
                            >
                            > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                            now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                            gram's church served up.

                            > Share some recipes if you can.
                            >

                            > Caye
                            >

                            > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                            > Hi, Caye--
                            >
                            > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                            lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                            > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                            to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                            to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                            > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                            stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                            wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                            > Kindest regards,
                            >
                            > --skeeter

                          • Gergely
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Oh, the Rock Island Line. I love that song ---I got Pig Iron, I got Pig Iron......
                              I recently acquired it on a Carl Perkins CD.
                              Jack Gergely

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                But have you ever had Giordano's stuffed pizza (the original) < http://www.giordanos.com/main.php >?? It was started in a family-owned neighborhood restaurant.

                                >>> "skeeter" <fbican@...> 4/2/2008 2:22:47 PM >>>
                                Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                                http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                                http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                                http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                                http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                                http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                                I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                                I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                                http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                                It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                                BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                                Have a great day,

                                --skeeter

                                >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                                >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                                >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                                >
                                >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                                >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                                >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                                >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                                >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                                >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                                >a concern for me, just good food.
                                >
                                >Kindest regards,
                                >--skeeter

                              • Michelle Burke
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                  I take the Rock Island Line every day from my southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                                  bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@gmail. com> wrote:
                                  Skeeter, Caye.....

                                  My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                                  but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                                  eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                                  His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                                  she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                                  his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                                  into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                                  lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                                  Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                                  Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                                  to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                                  summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                                  remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                                  country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                                  my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                                  Paul in NW Florida

                                  --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:

                                  > Hey Skeeter:
                                  >
                                  > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                                  now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                                  gram's church served up.

                                  > Share some recipes if you can.
                                  >

                                  > Caye
                                  >

                                  > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi, Caye--
                                  >
                                  > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                                  lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                                  > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                                  to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                                  to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                                  > It made me think. My sister-in-law' s late father had a favorite
                                  stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                                  wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                                  > Kindest regards,
                                  >
                                  > --skeeter

                                • Caye Caswick
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                    I'll bet I know your face, Michelle -- I've been riding the Rock Island for 30 years.

                                    Caye

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                      Where else but Chicago, eh?

                                      --- Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                                      > I take the Rock Island Line every day from my
                                      > southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's
                                      > now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                                      === message truncated ===

                                    • Russell McCoy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                        Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                        positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!

                                        Russ
                                        http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                                      • Cathie
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Russell McCoy" <mccoy4984@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                          > positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!
                                          >
                                          > Russ
                                          > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                                          Your stories are always great no matter where they originate. We just
                                          need you to be safe.