Re: [Slovak-World] Thanks!

  • skeeter
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2008
      Here's a little bit of info about the Kovacik name,

      http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Kovacik-family-history.ashx

      Whatever you do, do not buy the book! I bought two of them, and they're expensive pieces of junk. No particular information, and filled with errors.
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
        Thanks, that was interesting. I knew my grandfather was in Los Angeles because I found him in the 1920 Census with a wife (my grandmother) and daughter (my mother). I cannot find him in the 1910 Census although I have a possibility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Appreciate your help!

        skeeter <fbican@...> wrote: Here's a little bit of info about the Kovacik name,

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
          If you do a little searching around, there were Slovak enclaves around Baltimore (port-of-entry for my ancestors), Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Ord, Nebraska. Do some "googling" around these locations and it might help you find your roots.

          The only reason I was familiar with the Kovacik name is that there was a Kovacik family directly across the street from me (Cleveland area) when I was growing up. They've long since passed away, as far as I know.

          Well, dinner for me tonight is going to be a casserole of sausage, sauerkraut, tomatos, and barley. I think it's authentic Bohunk food, but darned if I can find a recipe for it. No matter. It always turns out all right for me.

          Kindest regards,
          --skeeter

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
            Hey Skeeter, where in Cleveland did you grow up? I'm from there and I use "onion breath" to keep the lawyers a few paces back, so I found your comment funny and close to "home" if you will.

            Caye

            skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
            Utopenci! Yup, that's it alright! Garlic knockwurst, onions, vinegar, and pepper. I just love the stuff. Thanks!

            --skeeter

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
              Robert
              You may want to consider checking out this website
              http://wisconsinslovakhistoricalsociety.org/
              It is based in a suburb of Milwaukee and the gentleman who edits the
              magazine is very knowledgeable.
              thanks
              Terrie

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                Hi, Caye--

                I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                Kindest regards,

                --skeeter

                >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                >
                >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                >a concern for me, just good food.
                >
                >Kindest regards,
                >--skeeter

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Hey Skeeter:

                  I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods gram's church served up.

                  Share some recipes if you can.

                  Caye

                  skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                  Hi, Caye--

                  I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                  Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                  It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                  Kindest regards,

                  --skeeter

                  >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                  >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                  >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                  >
                  >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                  >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                  >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                  >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                  >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                  >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                  >a concern for me, just good food.
                  >
                  >Kindest regards,
                  >--skeeter

                • skeeter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Hi, Caye--

                    My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

                    I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

                    What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

                    BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

                    Have a great day,

                    --skeeter

                    >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                    >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                    >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                    >
                    >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                    >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                    >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                    >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                    >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                    >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                    >a concern for me, just good food.
                    >
                    >Kindest regards,
                    >--skeeter

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Yeah I keep in touch with one of the old neighbors in MHeights, it's gone down the swanney -- lotsa empty homes too with this housing crisis.

                      I like it all, you should post your recipes for all to share, thanks.

                      Milwaukee's one of my favorite cities, very ethnic, so I go often, and it's close by too.

                      Caye

                      skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                      Hi, Caye--

                      My little sister (well, she's not biologically my sister, but we're both Bicans, and met quite by accident in college many years ago, and have remained friend's ever since) lives in Maple Hts. She and her husband have a beautiful home that they've sunk a lot of money into. Now they have bars on the windows, and both carry guns. It's not the same neighborhood it used to be.

                      I'll be happy to share recipes with you. The utopenci is easy to make. 1lb of garlic balognas (knockwurst), 1 large red onion thinly sliced, 1 cup of cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Put it all in a bowl and refrigerate it over night.

                      What else do you like? Gulas, brambory, knedliky, zeli, jaternice, sekanice... I've made them all in the past few months.

                      BTW, I've been to Chicago many times, and it's one of my favorite cities. It's also not far from Milwaukee, which has a strong Slovak community. Google "Milwaukee + Slovak" or "Milwaukee + Czech" and you'll see what I mean.

                      Have a great day,

                      --skeeter

                      >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                      >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                      >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                      >
                      >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                      >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                      >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                      >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                      >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                      >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                      >a concern for me, just good food.
                      >
                      >Kindest regards,
                      >--skeeter

                    • skeeter
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                        http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                        http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                        http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                        http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                        http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                        I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                        I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                        http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                        It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                        BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                        Have a great day,

                        --skeeter

                        >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                        >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                        >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                        >
                        >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                        >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                        >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                        >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                        >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                        >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                        >a concern for me, just good food.
                        >
                        >Kindest regards,
                        >--skeeter

                      • bike_for_life2003
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Skeeter, Caye.....

                          My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                          but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                          eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                          His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                          she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                          his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                          into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                          lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                          Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                          Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                          to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                          summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                          remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                          country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                          my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                          Paul in NW Florida

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                          > Hey Skeeter:
                          >
                          > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                          now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                          gram's church served up.

                          > Share some recipes if you can.
                          >

                          > Caye
                          >

                          > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                          > Hi, Caye--
                          >
                          > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                          lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                          > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                          to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                          to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                          > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                          stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                          wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                          > Kindest regards,
                          >
                          > --skeeter

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                            Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                            Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                            Caye

                          • skeeter
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 4, 2008
                              That makes me laugh! I'm sure some of the things I eat (jaternice and sekanice, in particular) are probably bad for me, but my grandmothers cooked with lard and lived to their 80s and 90s. My cholesterol is high, but my HDL cholesterol is very high, so my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it.

                              As far as I'm concerned, life without sausages is no life at all. Kielbasa, bratwurst, jaternice, braunschweiger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, salami, chorizo, hurka, andouille... Oh I could go on and on. I just love sausages.

                              Kindest regards,

                              --skeeter

                              Same for me, Polish on dad's side (his relatives were midwesterners, Chicago, Nebraska and Michigan, mostly farmers with big acerage where he spent summers) and Slovak/Rus/Ukrainian on my mom's side (Cleveland). Dad worked for the Rock Island RR, so I too moved a lot, I call myself a RR Brat. Welcome to the Club -- I sure wish I could eat the ethnic foods more often, but my doctor will beat me with statin drugs if I don't stick to a more vegan diet now, drat!

                              Oh well, I cheat a little after my cholesterol tests and then get right back on the stick.

                              Caye

                              bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:
                              Skeeter, Caye.....

                              My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                              but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                              eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                              His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                              she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                              his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                              into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                              lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                              Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                              Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                              to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                              summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                              remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                              country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                              my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                              Paul in NW Florida

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Skeeter:
                              >
                              > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                              now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                              gram's church served up.

                              > Share some recipes if you can.
                              >

                              > Caye
                              >

                              > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                              > Hi, Caye--
                              >
                              > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                              lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                              > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                              to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                              to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                              > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
                              stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                              wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                              > Kindest regards,
                              >
                              > --skeeter

                            • Gergely
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 5, 2008
                                Oh, the Rock Island Line. I love that song ---I got Pig Iron, I got Pig Iron......
                                I recently acquired it on a Carl Perkins CD.
                                Jack Gergely

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                  But have you ever had Giordano's stuffed pizza (the original) < http://www.giordanos.com/main.php >?? It was started in a family-owned neighborhood restaurant.

                                  >>> "skeeter" <fbican@...> 4/2/2008 2:22:47 PM >>>
                                  Well, I'm not up to typing in all my recipes, but there are lots online if you look in the right places

                                  http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=czech

                                  http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/czech

                                  http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/

                                  http://www.slovakia.org/society-recipes.htm

                                  http://www.whats4eats.com/4rec_czech.html

                                  I'm something of a master at Google searches. If it's on the net, I can find it. Google, AltaVista, Ask, Yahoo, NorthernLight, Dogpile, you name it.

                                  I can also highly recommend this cookbook:

                                  http://www.amazon.com/Czechoslovak-Cookbook-Czechoslovakias-best-selling-kitchens/dp/0517505479

                                  It's got lots of recipes from my youth, and lots more that I was unfamiliar with. Best 12 bucks I 've ever spent.

                                  BTW, I may be a Bohunk, but the last time I was in Chicago, I had pizza at Gino's of East Chicago, and that was about the best I ever had. Chicago is a great city (well, except for the Dan Ryan Expressway). Much of the ethnic diversity like Cleveland, only better.

                                  Have a great day,

                                  --skeeter

                                  >Welcome to the group! I'm afraid my ancestors were Bican (aka,
                                  >Bitzan), Toman, and Rataj, all Bohemians, so I can't help you out
                                  >here. If I can find anything out, I'll let you know.
                                  >
                                  >Now, I have a question for the middle-european epicurists out there.
                                  >My Grandma Toman used to make sliced garlic knockwurst with sliced
                                  >onions, cider vinegar, and black pepper, and let it refrigerate
                                  >overnight. I love the stuff, but I have no idea what the proper name
                                  >for it is. Does anyone know? Yes, it's stinky food, but I have to
                                  >make some more one of these days. I live alone, so bad breath isn't
                                  >a concern for me, just good food.
                                  >
                                  >Kindest regards,
                                  >--skeeter

                                • Michelle Burke
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                    I take the Rock Island Line every day from my southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                                    bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@gmail. com> wrote:
                                    Skeeter, Caye.....

                                    My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
                                    but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
                                    eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
                                    His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
                                    she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
                                    his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
                                    into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
                                    lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
                                    Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

                                    Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
                                    to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
                                    summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
                                    remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
                                    country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
                                    my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

                                    Paul in NW Florida

                                    --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:

                                    > Hey Skeeter:
                                    >
                                    > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
                                    now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
                                    gram's church served up.

                                    > Share some recipes if you can.
                                    >

                                    > Caye
                                    >

                                    > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
                                    > Hi, Caye--
                                    >
                                    > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
                                    lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

                                    > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
                                    to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
                                    to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

                                    > It made me think. My sister-in-law' s late father had a favorite
                                    stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
                                    wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                                    > Kindest regards,
                                    >
                                    > --skeeter

                                  • Caye Caswick
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                      I'll bet I know your face, Michelle -- I've been riding the Rock Island for 30 years.

                                      Caye

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 8, 2008
                                        Where else but Chicago, eh?

                                        --- Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                                        > I take the Rock Island Line every day from my
                                        > southwest side Chicago neighborhood downtown -- it's
                                        > now part of the Metra commuter train system!

                                        === message truncated ===

                                      • Russell McCoy
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                          Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                          positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!

                                          Russ
                                          http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                                        • Cathie
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Russell McCoy" <mccoy4984@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Thanks to all for your supportive messages. I'm trying to see the
                                            > positive in that I'll have some great stories to tell upon my return!!
                                            >
                                            > Russ
                                            > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                                            Your stories are always great no matter where they originate. We just
                                            need you to be safe.