Made me laugh

  • skeeter
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2008
      "He considered Slovaks different, and would not associate with the Hungarian Gergely's who lived down the street."

      My grandmother, God bless her late Bohunk soul, used to refer to anyone who's language she didn't understand (could have been Greek or Italian for all it mattered) as "Ukes". I guess Ukranians were looked down upon then.

      What a difference a couple of generations removed from that makes.

    • Gergely
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27, 2008
        Oh yaeh, I forgot about them making mild comments about the Ukes, when they had their procession to the Ukranian services at Otpust (Mt. St. Macrina in Uniontown).
        Yep, time sure changes outlooks.
        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        "He considered Slovaks different, and would not associate with the Hungarian Gergely's who lived down the street."

        My grandmother, God bless her late Bohunk soul, used to refer to anyone who's language she didn't understand (could have been Greek or Italian for all it mattered) as "Ukes". I guess Ukranians were looked down upon then.

        What a difference a couple of generations removed from that makes.

      • vchromoho
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 27, 2008
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gergely" <gergely@...> wrote:

          > Oh yaeh, I forgot about them making mild comments about the Ukes,
          when they had their procession to the Ukranian services at Otpust (Mt.
          St. Macrina in Uniontown).
          > Yep, time sure changes outlooks.
          > Jack Gergely
          > Newport News

          Jack,

          There were *Ukrainian* services at the Uniontown Otpust? I know in
          the old days when there were many immigrant members of the Ruthenian
          Byz. Cath. Church they had liturgies in Hungarian at the Otpust, and
          probably one for the Croatian Greek Catholics (in Slavonic but with
          Croatian pronunciation and the Zumberak chant), but Ukrainian? Among
          our cultural and religious leaders of the time, being Ukrainian was
          worse than being... well, insert some non-white racial group's
          informal name of the time and you know what I mean.

          I'm not challenging you, I've just never heard or read this before and
          am very surprised.

          p.s. Christos voskres!
        • skeeter
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 27, 2008
            Well, I guess it was just a different time and place. I haven't heard anyone make derrogitory remarks about "ukes" in years. Just as well.

            I've gotten quite mellow in my later years, and enjoy cultural diversity from all over the globe. I do my best by sharing my culinary history, but I'm afraid for the most part it's falling on deaf ears. The younger ones would rather grab a pizza, and have no idea what a sekanice is. I can't imagine Easter without it.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
              Rich,
              Yep. The times that I remember (early 1950's), the Ukranian services were held in a large tent in the back yard area. If you're familar with the layout - standing at the back of the old mansion, looking down the asphalt sidewalk towards the small fishpond (my favorite place as a kid), the Ukranian services were held under a tent just to the right of the fishpond, between the fishpond sidewalk, and the driveway heading down to the stables.
              I guess the reason that I spercifically remember the Ukranians is because out family always sat along the fishpond sidewalk under one of the small trees lining the sidewalk, and the Ukranian procession would go right past us. Don't know where the procession originated, it came from the direction of the Grotto near the newer (yellow brick) building.
              There would be a sign on the tent saying Ukranian services and times, etc.
              Jack Gergely

              ps: Voistino Vorkres - excuse my spelling

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                We spoke a somewhat anglicized Slovak at home when I was a kid. Whenever I had trouble saying something correctly in Slovak, or I misunderstood something, my mom would jokingly call me a "Nemkin~a" (a German) or a "Talianka" (Italian). My parents never lived in either of those countries and I never remember there being any prejudice against Germans (other than the Nazi soldiers they encountered during the war) or Italians. We had Italian next-door neighbors and a German family in the house next to them, and we all got along fine.

                >>> "skeeter" <fbican@...> 3/27/2008 8:34 PM >>>
                "He considered Slovaks different, and would not associate with the Hungarian Gergely's who lived down the street."

                My grandmother, God bless her late Bohunk soul, used to refer to anyone who's language she didn't understand (could have been Greek or Italian for all it mattered) as "Ukes". I guess Ukranians were looked down upon then.

                What a difference a couple of generations removed from that makes.

              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                  > would jokingly call me a "Nemkin~a" (a German) or a "Talianka"

                  Co si Talian / Madar / (less common: Turek)? ("What, are you a...")

                  ... is an idiomatic phrase meaning "how come you don't seem to
                  understand [what I'm saying]?"

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • jenna-m

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                      Hey Martin,

                      Your last sentence there reminds me of the origins of the word "barbarian."

                      Jenna

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                        Although my grandfather spoke broken English, he was what we might think of as getting assimilated...as he was proud to be American, happy to learn English, happy to get a job on the railroads. His wife, my grandmother, never learned (nor wanted to) a word of English. Went to a Slovak speaking church, and when she'd go to the market would "point and pay" for what she wanted.

                        On the "Italian" front. ..a young Italian man came "courting" my mother. Even brought the g-mother an ice cream cone. But my g-mother's word were words of caution to my Mom that the neighbors were afraid that he'd shoot her, that she'd wind up dead (as in the stereotype that all Italians belong to the Mafia). Anyway, they didn't seem to hold the same prejudice against my father when he came courting...who was of Welsh ancestry. I think he may have proved more favorable in getting an invite to the parents dinnertable as they thought him good potential husband material because he had one year of college! So, I think the college card played higher than the ethnic card...or at least the desire for (anticipated) economic stability.

                        On Slovak ancestry in the household, there seemed who held on to traditions more so than others, and some who felt ashamed of their Slovak background.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                          Might have been.
                          Your family isn't from Uniontown are they?
                          Actually, I was kind of sweet on the Gergely girl from that family. We rode the same school bus my Freshman high school year. But, Dad died and we moved before anything developed.
                          Jack Gergely

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 28, 2008
                            > the origins of the word "barbarian."

                            Yes, Jenna, the same as the origin of the Slavic [nemets] (also
                            borrowed from Slavic into Hungarian).

                            Its old meaning was also "a mumbler, murmurer" (not "mute," as people
                            sometimes believe -- that's a more recent meaning of the word). It,
                            _Nemec_, means "German" today, but without any negative implications
                            that the historical meaning might suggest.

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                          • Gregory J Kopchak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                              Jack:

                              I may have met you in the mid 50's

                              I was the little kid feeding the goldfish Medovnicky.

                              Voistinu Voskrese!

                              Greg

                            • Gergely
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                                Greg,
                                I'm sure that we met then. I spent most of my time right there at the pond. Also feeding the fish.
                                Jack Gergely