Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Hotel Slovan

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 27, 2008
      My grandparents came from Siroke (about an hour NW of Kosice). If you look on the 1930 census they were classified "Czechoslovakian"; on the 1920 one, "Austrian" and on the Ellis Island passenger manifest, "Hungarian." They spoke Slovak in the home, raising all their seven children in a bi-lingual household of Slovak/ English...mostly Slovak at home. So, what "were they"? Depends who you ask at what time, but overall, they simply thought of themselves as Slovak...although they seemed pretty aware (for non-literate or functionally literate ex-peasants) of the politics back home in those eras of census taking.

      Jenna

      Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      Robert/David/Paul:

      My ancestral village, Brezina, is about as far east from Kosice as Lipovnik is west of Kosice -- and equally close to the Hungarian border -- in fact, it was part of Hungary before the borders changed. My ancestors claimed Slovak heritage, but all spoke Hungarian before arriving here in the US (and could understand many languages) -- now all my cousins speak Slovak, not sure if this helps in the "what were they" arena, but that's what I can contribute.

      Caye

      Robert Pollak <rjp011@...> wrote:
      I have relatives that live in Lipovnik, a small village near Roznava. A few years ago when I visited them, I saw the sign for the village is in both Slovak (Lipovnik) and Hungarian (Harskut). My cousin said that within the village, they speak Hungarian but when outside the village, they speak Slovak. They consider themselves Hungarian and this is most likely due to the changing border years ago.

      II have traced that family line and found that it came from Korycany, Moravia back in the early 1800's. So are they Czech, Slovak or Hungarian?

      Bob in Texas

    • Gergely
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 27, 2008
        Just to muddy things up a little.
        My Gedo was from Budimir, about 8 klicks north of Kosice.
        He immigrated around 1910.
        He was taught Hungarian in school, was baptized a RC (We didn't see a GC or Orthodox church in the town when we went there, only RC), but he claimed being Rusin, and adamantly would not accept being called a Slovak. My dad, his sin, born in the States as a GC had the same opinion. He considered Slovaks different, and would not associate with the Hungarian Gergely's who lived down the street.
        Jack Gergely
        Newport News