Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Hotel Slovan

    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 27, 2008
      Polo:

      How does the FL panhandle suit you so far?

      Chuck

      --- Paul Guzowski <guzowskip@...> wrote:

      > David,
      >
      > I stayed in the Hotel Slovan for a couple of days in
      > May 2006 and found it
      > acceptable. Yes, it was a bit dated in places but
      > typical of what I
      > encountered for a three-star hotel in the six years
      > I worked in
      > Central/Eastern Europe.
      >
      > As for language in Kosice, I know it's not far from
      > the Hungarian border and
      > there are probably quite a few ethnic Hungarians
      > living in the region.
      > Since I lived in Budapest for three years and
      > studied Hungarian the whole
      > time I think I would have noticed it if people were
      > speaking Hungarian on
      > the streets but all I heard was Slovak.
      >
      > Paul in NW Florida

      > removed]

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Gergely
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 27, 2008
        Just to muddy things up a little.
        My Gedo was from Budimir, about 8 klicks north of Kosice.
        He immigrated around 1910.
        He was taught Hungarian in school, was baptized a RC (We didn't see a GC or Orthodox church in the town when we went there, only RC), but he claimed being Rusin, and adamantly would not accept being called a Slovak. My dad, his sin, born in the States as a GC had the same opinion. He considered Slovaks different, and would not associate with the Hungarian Gergely's who lived down the street.
        Jack Gergely
        Newport News