American shows/soaps on Slovak TV

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6 8:02 AM
      Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still being shown on Slovak
      TV?

      Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol" being shown?

      Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in Slovakia in the past
      couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that was American?

      Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6 8:08 AM
        All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what
        THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the
        shows period as I consider them a waste of time.

        Vladi

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6 8:09 AM
          Just sports when I was there. Esp the hockey playoffs
          between the home team & the Czechs.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6 8:17 AM
            Agreed, Vladi.

            --- Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

            > All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE
            > garbage, that is what
            > THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I
            > do not watch the
            > shows period as I consider them a waste of time.
            >
            > Vladi
            >

            > At 08:02 AM 3/6/2008, you wrote:
            >
            > >Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still
            > being shown on Slovak
            > >TV?
            > >
            > >Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol"
            > being shown?
            > >
            > >Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in
            > Slovakia in the past
            > >couple years and what were the Slovaks watching
            > that was American?
            > >
            > >Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

            > removed]

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6 8:19 AM
              HI JULIA -

              Don't know if Dallas reruns are being shown on
              Slovak TV - at one time it was so popular. I think
              Slovak TV now has their own versions of soaps and
              American Idol.

              I do know last summer the whole country was
              watching the Slovak version of a dancing competition -
              the twist was each pair of participants was doing it
              for someone in dire need, a girl who need facial
              surgery, a family of 12 that needed a new roof, etc.
              and they featured the participants interacting with
              them.

              A really touching one was the middle aged mother
              who was participating for her handicapped son in a
              wheelchair to get some special schooling. She turned
              out to be a marvelous dancer - along with a super
              partner and won. Her son won some specialized training
              at an outstanding technical school.

              It was really interesting and after the competition
              was over - the Slovak banks got in the act too and
              donated money to the other persons in need.

              We were visiting in a Slovak home for a few nights
              and this was the big show! Everything stopped while
              the family watched.

              I really did enjoy the interaction of the
              participants - the young hip couple visiting the 12
              member family in a remote Slovak village, etc.

              helene

              --- Matchett <wmatchett@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still
              > being shown on Slovak
              > TV?
              >
              > Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol"
              > being shown?
              >
              > Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in
              > Slovakia in the past
              > couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that
              > was American?
              >
              > Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • Paul Paulochik
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6 8:53 AM
                Here, here! (Or is it Hear!Hear!)

                Every once in a while I'll catch myself spending more than an hour a day
                in front of the TV. When I do, I punish myself by 3-4 days with no TV
                whatsoever. It's as addictive as caffeine, without the benefits of
                staying awake.

                I think I'm having an effect on the kids. 5-yr old Katarina will only
                watch SOME cartoons, mainly Scooby Doo, and 8-yr old Alex is constantly
                switching over to the Science Channel to see "How Did They Do That?" or
                "How It's Made". Usually, I just sit back and laugh at the arguments.

                All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what
                THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the
                shows period as I consider them a waste of time.

                Vladi

                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=9251819/grpspId=1705103562/m
                sgId=20488/stime=1204819896/nc1=3848614/nc2=4507179/nc3=5170412>

              • Lil Junas
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6 9:22 AM
                  When I was in Slovakia in November, the Slovak version of Millionaire was
                  still popular -- as were Slovak and Czech-based game shows.
                  lil

                  On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Matchett <wmatchett@...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still being shown on Slovak
                  > TV?
                  >
                  > Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol" being shown?
                  >
                  > Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in Slovakia in the past
                  > couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that was American?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

                  "To be nobody but myself."
                  www.ljunas.com

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6 1:14 PM
                    Those who have satellite hookups watch shows from USA and around the world dubbed in Slovak -- my cousin knew all the current shows better than I do -- although I'll admit, I usually watch PBS and the learning channels and don't really keep up with the latest network shows. Even the tiny remote villages are VERY Americanized now. My cousin also brought a stack of CD's with her that contained copies of her favorite shows -- which prompted me to enable the closed-captioning on my tv set to English (a tad annoying for me) which helped her English and spelling immensely.

                    Caye

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6 1:18 PM
                      Thanks for this info. I needed a wee bit of info on today's TV in the
                      old country to go in my write-up for this Sunday's CZ-SK picnic
                      handout in Melbourne, Florida. Julia Matchett

                      On Mar 6, 2008, at 11:19 AM, helene cincebeaux wrote:

                      > HI JULIA -
                      >
                      > Don't know if Dallas reruns are being shown on
                      > Slovak TV - at one time it was so popular. I think
                      > Slovak TV now has their own versions of soaps and
                      > American Idol.
                      >
                      > I do know last summer the whole country was
                      > watching the Slovak version of a dancing competition -
                      > the twist was each pair of participants was doing it
                      > for someone in dire need, a girl who need facial
                      > surgery, a family of 12 that needed a new roof, etc.
                      > and they featured the participants interacting with
                      > them.

                    • Marilyn N
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6 7:48 PM
                        Marilyn

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: paulpaulochik@...: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:53:14 -0600Subject: RE: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TV

                        Here, here! (Or is it Hear!Hear!)Every once in a while I'll catch myself spending more than an hour a dayin front of the TV. When I do, I punish myself by 3-4 days with no TVwhatsoever. It's as addictive as caffeine, without the benefits ofstaying awake.I think I'm having an effect on the kids. 5-yr old Katarina will onlywatch SOME cartoons, mainly Scooby Doo, and 8-yr old Alex is constantlyswitching over to the Science Channel to see "How Did They Do That?" or"How It's Made". Usually, I just sit back and laugh at the arguments.-----Original Message-----From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Vladimir LinderSent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:08 AMTo: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TVAll the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the shows period as I consider them a waste of time.Vladi.<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=9251819/grpspId=1705103562/msgId=20488/stime=1204819896/nc1=3848614/nc2=4507179/nc3=5170412> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                      • Marilyn N
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6 8:03 PM
                          Marilyn

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: paulpaulochik@...: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:53:14 -0600Subject: RE: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TV

[...]

                        • Russell McCoy
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 7 2:35 AM
                            Hi, Jenna:

                            I don't think it's Poprad although Poprad is nearby. We drove
                            through there and then a few kilometers on mountain roads. That
                            seemed to be some sort of resort area where we parked our car. I
                            will check with one of my friends who was with me to see if he knows.

                            Russ

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Russ,
                            >
                            > The picture of "the View of the Mountain"...what town is that
                            with that view? Poprad?
                            > Jenna
                            >
                            > Russell McCoy <mccoy4984@...> wrote:
                            > I've recently added pictures and a story about my climb
                            up Mt. Rysy
                            > in '06. I plan to add two more sets of pictures over the next few
                            > weeks. I feel lucky to share this with all of you because I didn't
                            > think I was going to survive the climb at the time!! Ha, ha!
                            Anyway,
                            > I hope you enjoy them as I did looking at them again. Makes me
                            want
                            > to retire and move to Poprad right now!
                            >
                            > Russ
                            > Djibouti, Horn of Africa
                            > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                          • Martin Votruba
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7 7:51 AM
                              > seemed to be some sort of resort area where we parked our car. I

                              It was taken from S~trbske' Pleso (the name is spelled in Polish under
                              this picture from the same spot):

                              http://www.cs.put.poznan.pl/holidays/tatry/imgs/fullt/tatry573.jpg

                              The resort is here:

                              http://tinyurl.com/29y4gn

                              Martin

                              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                            • Armata, Joseph R
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 7 10:44 AM
                                Great pictures, Russ! And I envy you! I once climbed up on the Polish side to Czarny Staw near the foot of Rysy, and wanted to go on to Rysy but there were no other climbers around to go with, and it was already past 1pm. So I sat there for an hour alone and listened to the cracks and pops of the ice on the peaks as the sunlight hit them.

                                Joe

                              • Aaron Kolkmeier
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 7 6:38 PM
                                  Check out www.markiza.sk <http://www.markiza.sk/> . This is a popular TV
                                  station in Slovakia. There have archived episodes of their shows. Some
                                  are interesting. There is one sitcom called Susedia (Neighbors) that is
                                  funny if you understand Slovak. I know a little Slovak but my wife
                                  mainly translates it for me.

                                  Aaron

                                • Vladimir Linder
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 8 12:05 AM
                                    And MarkizaTV is wholly owned by ESTER LAUDER corporation New York.
                                    SO now you know the reason for the garbage on Slovak TV

                                    At 06:38 PM 3/7/2008, you wrote:

                                    >Check out www.markiza.sk
                                    ><<http://www.markiza.sk/>http://www.markiza.sk/> . This is a popular TV
                                    >station in Slovakia. There have archived episodes of their shows. Some
                                    >are interesting. There is one sitcom called Susedia (Neighbors) that is
                                    >funny if you understand Slovak. I know a little Slovak but my wife
                                    >mainly translates it for me.
                                    >
                                    >Aaron

                                  • Russell McCoy
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 8 2:25 AM
                                      Hey! Thanks for taking a look. I heard that the Polish side was
                                      more difficult than the Slovak side. At the top, I saw several
                                      climbers coming up from the other side. Anyway, as I said below, I
                                      will be posting more pictures from the climb next week and the week
                                      after so be sure to check it out.

                                      Russ
                                      Djibouti, Horn of Africa
                                      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                                      PS I will have to change my signature in about six weeks because I
                                      return to the US at that stage. But, rumor has it that I'm going
                                      back overseas later in the summer to another exciting country. If
                                      only it were Slovakia!!

                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R"
                                      <armata+@...> wrote:

                                      > Great pictures, Russ! And I envy you! I once climbed up on the
                                      Polish side to Czarny Staw near the foot of Rysy, and wanted to go
                                      on to Rysy but there were no other climbers around to go with, and
                                      it was already past 1pm. So I sat there for an hour alone and
                                      listened to the cracks and pops of the ice on the peaks as the
                                      sunlight hit them.

                                      > Joe

                                    • Paul Guzowski
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 8 5:27 AM
                                        Vladi,

                                        Did you mean Estée Lauder? I seem to remember seeing CSI (maybe Miami
                                        and/or Las Vegas), NCIS, Monk, Murder She Wrote, NCIS, JAG, and a few other
                                        US programs (dubbed in Slovak or Czech) while I lived/worked in Bratislava
                                        but I don't remember which channel

                                        As for who owns Markiza and what they show, well in an open and competitive
                                        television market where the objective is to make money, the owners will show
                                        what people want to watch in order to attract viewers which attracts
                                        advertising money. Of course, this is done within governmental guidelines,
                                        for example regulating when adult-oriented programming can be shown.
                                        However, it's not like the government is telling the privately owned TV
                                        stations what to put on the air. Some station owners may be a bit more
                                        altruistic than others leading them to air some cultural or educational
                                        programming that brings in less revenue but, in the end, business is
                                        business and if they can't make a profit, they will go out of business.

                                        Paul in NW FL

                                      • durisek
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 8 5:42 AM
                                          Aaron....are you living in SK? Where? I have a cousin married to a Slovak woman and living near Kosice now. Susan

                                        • Caye Caswick
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 12 7:04 AM
                                            Helene:

                                            No reply from the cousins regarding the age of Tandju-Tancju -- but I did try.

                                          • helene cincebeaux
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 12 10:12 AM
                                              hi caye - i didn't have any luck either but sounded
                                              like it was an old tune and the roup is going to put
                                              it on their cd - they are a civil war renactment band
                                              - and they really liked the song.

                                              thanks for trying!!!!

                                              we have set our party date in pittsburgh for the night
                                              before the slovak fest - think it is nov 1 and will be
                                              a hollywood theme - 30's -60s - hope you can
                                              come!!!!!~!

                                              helene