Re: [Slovak-World] Mt. Rysy Pictures

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6 5:29 AM
      Hi Russ,

      The picture of "the View of the Mountain"...what town is that with that view? Poprad?
      Jenna

      Russell McCoy <mccoy4984@...> wrote:
      I've recently added pictures and a story about my climb up Mt. Rysy
      in '06. I plan to add two more sets of pictures over the next few
      weeks. I feel lucky to share this with all of you because I didn't
      think I was going to survive the climb at the time!! Ha, ha! Anyway,
      I hope you enjoy them as I did looking at them again. Makes me want
      to retire and move to Poprad right now!

      Russ
      Djibouti, Horn of Africa
      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6 8:02 AM
        Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still being shown on Slovak
        TV?

        Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol" being shown?

        Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in Slovakia in the past
        couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that was American?

        Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6 8:08 AM
          All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what
          THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the
          shows period as I consider them a waste of time.

          Vladi

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6 8:09 AM
            Just sports when I was there. Esp the hockey playoffs
            between the home team & the Czechs.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6 8:17 AM
              Agreed, Vladi.

              --- Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

              > All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE
              > garbage, that is what
              > THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I
              > do not watch the
              > shows period as I consider them a waste of time.
              >
              > Vladi
              >

              > At 08:02 AM 3/6/2008, you wrote:
              >
              > >Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still
              > being shown on Slovak
              > >TV?
              > >
              > >Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol"
              > being shown?
              > >
              > >Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in
              > Slovakia in the past
              > >couple years and what were the Slovaks watching
              > that was American?
              > >
              > >Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

              > removed]

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6 8:19 AM
                HI JULIA -

                Don't know if Dallas reruns are being shown on
                Slovak TV - at one time it was so popular. I think
                Slovak TV now has their own versions of soaps and
                American Idol.

                I do know last summer the whole country was
                watching the Slovak version of a dancing competition -
                the twist was each pair of participants was doing it
                for someone in dire need, a girl who need facial
                surgery, a family of 12 that needed a new roof, etc.
                and they featured the participants interacting with
                them.

                A really touching one was the middle aged mother
                who was participating for her handicapped son in a
                wheelchair to get some special schooling. She turned
                out to be a marvelous dancer - along with a super
                partner and won. Her son won some specialized training
                at an outstanding technical school.

                It was really interesting and after the competition
                was over - the Slovak banks got in the act too and
                donated money to the other persons in need.

                We were visiting in a Slovak home for a few nights
                and this was the big show! Everything stopped while
                the family watched.

                I really did enjoy the interaction of the
                participants - the young hip couple visiting the 12
                member family in a remote Slovak village, etc.

                helene

                --- Matchett <wmatchett@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still
                > being shown on Slovak
                > TV?
                >
                > Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol"
                > being shown?
                >
                > Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in
                > Slovakia in the past
                > couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that
                > was American?
                >
                > Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              • Paul Paulochik
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6 8:53 AM
                  Here, here! (Or is it Hear!Hear!)

                  Every once in a while I'll catch myself spending more than an hour a day
                  in front of the TV. When I do, I punish myself by 3-4 days with no TV
                  whatsoever. It's as addictive as caffeine, without the benefits of
                  staying awake.

                  I think I'm having an effect on the kids. 5-yr old Katarina will only
                  watch SOME cartoons, mainly Scooby Doo, and 8-yr old Alex is constantly
                  switching over to the Science Channel to see "How Did They Do That?" or
                  "How It's Made". Usually, I just sit back and laugh at the arguments.

                  All the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what
                  THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the
                  shows period as I consider them a waste of time.

                  Vladi

                  .

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=9251819/grpspId=1705103562/m
                  sgId=20488/stime=1204819896/nc1=3848614/nc2=4507179/nc3=5170412>

                • Lil Junas
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6 9:22 AM
                    When I was in Slovakia in November, the Slovak version of Millionaire was
                    still popular -- as were Slovak and Czech-based game shows.
                    lil

                    On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Matchett <wmatchett@...> wrote:

                    > Can anyone tell me if "Dallas" reruns are still being shown on Slovak
                    > TV?
                    >
                    > Or, are shows like "Survivor" or "American Idol" being shown?
                    >
                    > Has anyone had the opportunity to watch TV in Slovakia in the past
                    > couple years and what were the Slovaks watching that was American?
                    >
                    > Thanks for any input on this. Julia Matchett

                    "To be nobody but myself."
                    www.ljunas.com

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6 1:14 PM
                      Those who have satellite hookups watch shows from USA and around the world dubbed in Slovak -- my cousin knew all the current shows better than I do -- although I'll admit, I usually watch PBS and the learning channels and don't really keep up with the latest network shows. Even the tiny remote villages are VERY Americanized now. My cousin also brought a stack of CD's with her that contained copies of her favorite shows -- which prompted me to enable the closed-captioning on my tv set to English (a tad annoying for me) which helped her English and spelling immensely.

                      Caye

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6 1:18 PM
                        Thanks for this info. I needed a wee bit of info on today's TV in the
                        old country to go in my write-up for this Sunday's CZ-SK picnic
                        handout in Melbourne, Florida. Julia Matchett

                        On Mar 6, 2008, at 11:19 AM, helene cincebeaux wrote:

                        > HI JULIA -
                        >
                        > Don't know if Dallas reruns are being shown on
                        > Slovak TV - at one time it was so popular. I think
                        > Slovak TV now has their own versions of soaps and
                        > American Idol.
                        >
                        > I do know last summer the whole country was
                        > watching the Slovak version of a dancing competition -
                        > the twist was each pair of participants was doing it
                        > for someone in dire need, a girl who need facial
                        > surgery, a family of 12 that needed a new roof, etc.
                        > and they featured the participants interacting with
                        > them.

                      • Marilyn N
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6 7:48 PM
                          Marilyn

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: paulpaulochik@...: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:53:14 -0600Subject: RE: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TV

                          Here, here! (Or is it Hear!Hear!)Every once in a while I'll catch myself spending more than an hour a dayin front of the TV. When I do, I punish myself by 3-4 days with no TVwhatsoever. It's as addictive as caffeine, without the benefits ofstaying awake.I think I'm having an effect on the kids. 5-yr old Katarina will onlywatch SOME cartoons, mainly Scooby Doo, and 8-yr old Alex is constantlyswitching over to the Science Channel to see "How Did They Do That?" or"How It's Made". Usually, I just sit back and laugh at the arguments.-----Original Message-----From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Vladimir LinderSent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:08 AMTo: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TVAll the USA produced "shows " are there. PURE garbage, that is what THEY say. Meaning people I met. I can't tell, as I do not watch the shows period as I consider them a waste of time.Vladi.<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=9251819/grpspId=1705103562/msgId=20488/stime=1204819896/nc1=3848614/nc2=4507179/nc3=5170412> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        • Marilyn N
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 6 8:03 PM
                            Marilyn

                            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: paulpaulochik@...: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:53:14 -0600Subject: RE: [SPAM][Slovak-World] American shows/soaps on Slovak TV

[...]

                          • Russell McCoy
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7 2:35 AM
                              Hi, Jenna:

                              I don't think it's Poprad although Poprad is nearby. We drove
                              through there and then a few kilometers on mountain roads. That
                              seemed to be some sort of resort area where we parked our car. I
                              will check with one of my friends who was with me to see if he knows.

                              Russ

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Russ,
                              >
                              > The picture of "the View of the Mountain"...what town is that
                              with that view? Poprad?
                              > Jenna
                              >
                              > Russell McCoy <mccoy4984@...> wrote:
                              > I've recently added pictures and a story about my climb
                              up Mt. Rysy
                              > in '06. I plan to add two more sets of pictures over the next few
                              > weeks. I feel lucky to share this with all of you because I didn't
                              > think I was going to survive the climb at the time!! Ha, ha!
                              Anyway,
                              > I hope you enjoy them as I did looking at them again. Makes me
                              want
                              > to retire and move to Poprad right now!
                              >
                              > Russ
                              > Djibouti, Horn of Africa
                              > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                            • Martin Votruba
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 7 7:51 AM
                                > seemed to be some sort of resort area where we parked our car. I

                                It was taken from S~trbske' Pleso (the name is spelled in Polish under
                                this picture from the same spot):

                                http://www.cs.put.poznan.pl/holidays/tatry/imgs/fullt/tatry573.jpg

                                The resort is here:

                                http://tinyurl.com/29y4gn

                                Martin

                                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                              • Armata, Joseph R
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 7 10:44 AM
                                  Great pictures, Russ! And I envy you! I once climbed up on the Polish side to Czarny Staw near the foot of Rysy, and wanted to go on to Rysy but there were no other climbers around to go with, and it was already past 1pm. So I sat there for an hour alone and listened to the cracks and pops of the ice on the peaks as the sunlight hit them.

                                  Joe

                                • Aaron Kolkmeier
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 7 6:38 PM
                                    Check out www.markiza.sk <http://www.markiza.sk/> . This is a popular TV
                                    station in Slovakia. There have archived episodes of their shows. Some
                                    are interesting. There is one sitcom called Susedia (Neighbors) that is
                                    funny if you understand Slovak. I know a little Slovak but my wife
                                    mainly translates it for me.

                                    Aaron

                                  • Vladimir Linder
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 8 12:05 AM
                                      And MarkizaTV is wholly owned by ESTER LAUDER corporation New York.
                                      SO now you know the reason for the garbage on Slovak TV

                                      At 06:38 PM 3/7/2008, you wrote:

                                      >Check out www.markiza.sk
                                      ><<http://www.markiza.sk/>http://www.markiza.sk/> . This is a popular TV
                                      >station in Slovakia. There have archived episodes of their shows. Some
                                      >are interesting. There is one sitcom called Susedia (Neighbors) that is
                                      >funny if you understand Slovak. I know a little Slovak but my wife
                                      >mainly translates it for me.
                                      >
                                      >Aaron

                                    • Russell McCoy
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 8 2:25 AM
                                        Hey! Thanks for taking a look. I heard that the Polish side was
                                        more difficult than the Slovak side. At the top, I saw several
                                        climbers coming up from the other side. Anyway, as I said below, I
                                        will be posting more pictures from the climb next week and the week
                                        after so be sure to check it out.

                                        Russ
                                        Djibouti, Horn of Africa
                                        http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                                        PS I will have to change my signature in about six weeks because I
                                        return to the US at that stage. But, rumor has it that I'm going
                                        back overseas later in the summer to another exciting country. If
                                        only it were Slovakia!!

                                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R"
                                        <armata+@...> wrote:

                                        > Great pictures, Russ! And I envy you! I once climbed up on the
                                        Polish side to Czarny Staw near the foot of Rysy, and wanted to go
                                        on to Rysy but there were no other climbers around to go with, and
                                        it was already past 1pm. So I sat there for an hour alone and
                                        listened to the cracks and pops of the ice on the peaks as the
                                        sunlight hit them.

                                        > Joe

                                      • Paul Guzowski
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 8 5:27 AM
                                          Vladi,

                                          Did you mean Estée Lauder? I seem to remember seeing CSI (maybe Miami
                                          and/or Las Vegas), NCIS, Monk, Murder She Wrote, NCIS, JAG, and a few other
                                          US programs (dubbed in Slovak or Czech) while I lived/worked in Bratislava
                                          but I don't remember which channel

                                          As for who owns Markiza and what they show, well in an open and competitive
                                          television market where the objective is to make money, the owners will show
                                          what people want to watch in order to attract viewers which attracts
                                          advertising money. Of course, this is done within governmental guidelines,
                                          for example regulating when adult-oriented programming can be shown.
                                          However, it's not like the government is telling the privately owned TV
                                          stations what to put on the air. Some station owners may be a bit more
                                          altruistic than others leading them to air some cultural or educational
                                          programming that brings in less revenue but, in the end, business is
                                          business and if they can't make a profit, they will go out of business.

                                          Paul in NW FL

                                        • durisek
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 8 5:42 AM
                                            Aaron....are you living in SK? Where? I have a cousin married to a Slovak woman and living near Kosice now. Susan

                                          • Caye Caswick
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 12 7:04 AM
                                              Helene:

                                              No reply from the cousins regarding the age of Tandju-Tancju -- but I did try.

                                            • helene cincebeaux
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 12 10:12 AM
                                                hi caye - i didn't have any luck either but sounded
                                                like it was an old tune and the roup is going to put
                                                it on their cd - they are a civil war renactment band
                                                - and they really liked the song.

                                                thanks for trying!!!!

                                                we have set our party date in pittsburgh for the night
                                                before the slovak fest - think it is nov 1 and will be
                                                a hollywood theme - 30's -60s - hope you can
                                                come!!!!!~!

                                                helene