Re: Spiesz ch. 14 (1960-1989)

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
      > when
      > did the barbed wire, roadblocks, etc go up to start with, and what
      > reasons/excuses did the gov't use (both to their own populations and
      > to the outside world)

      They started building them in 1949, Julie, and it took several years
      until almost the whole border with Austria and West Germany were
      fenced. They first focused on the areas near villages, and left the
      densely forested sections till the end. Some of the villages close to
      the border were off limits except for the local population for various
      periods of time. For instance, Devin near Bratislava with its popular
      castle ruin was a "closed village" for a number of years.

      > basically imprisoning entire countries

      Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the capitalist spies
      and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense to protect the
      free world from the imperialist West's intention to attack, occupy,
      and crush their joyful lives with its fascist armies.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
        Martin:

        I loved your explanation. Thank you.

        Chuck

        --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

        > > when
        > > did the barbed wire, roadblocks, etc go up to
        > start with, and what
        > > reasons/excuses did the gov't use (both to their
        > own populations and
        > > to the outside world)
        >
        > They started building them in 1949, Julie, and it
        > took several years
        > until almost the whole border with Austria and West
        > Germany were
        > fenced. They first focused on the areas near
        > villages, and left the
        > densely forested sections till the end. Some of the
        > villages close to
        > the border were off limits except for the local
        > population for various
        > periods of time. For instance, Devin near
        > Bratislava with its popular
        > castle ruin was a "closed village" for a number of
        > years.
        >
        > > basically imprisoning entire countries
        >
        > Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the
        > capitalist spies
        > and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense
        > to protect the
        > free world from the imperialist West's intention to
        > attack, occupy,
        > and crush their joyful lives with its fascist
        > armies.
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
          Thanks Martin, for a good laugh for the day!

          helene

          --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

          > Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the
          > capitalist spies
          > and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense
          > to protect the
          > free world from the imperialist West's intention to
          > attack, occupy,
          > and crush their joyful lives with its fascist
          > armies.
          >

          > Martin
          >
          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?