Spiesz ch. 14 (1960-1989)

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
      We were so close to finishing this interesting book when the
      discussion kind of petered out; any chance we can pick it up and
      finish it (short ch. 14 and lengthier Afterword), esp. since we have
      Dr. Bolchazy on our list?

      I had marked a passage at the beginning of chapter 14, p. 257:
      "People began to look more and more for an escape from this
      'paradise',.... escape became increasingly possible, no longer
      requiring hazardous passage through barbed wire fields and roadblocks."

      My question is--and I beg everyone's indulgence of my ignorance--when
      did the barbed wire, roadblocks, etc go up to start with, and what
      reasons/excuses did the gov't use (both to their own populations and
      to the outside world) to explain or justify basically imprisoning
      entire countries such as Czechoslovakia? Back on p. 252 Spiesz says
      "Between 1950 and 1952 a veritable hell of Communist oppression
      engulfed Slovakia [I assume it was the entire then-Czechoslovakia--
      jm] as the Communist regime dropped the mask from its criminal
      face,... It went about prosecuting, imprisoning, and executing
      friend and foe alike." So my *guess* would be that these external
      barriers must have appeared about then; but it's relatively easy to
      hide or justify imprisoning individuals--not so easy to justify the
      imprisonment of a country. How'd they do it, how'd they get away
      with it?

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
        Julie:

        That is what Communists do. They always have. The
        only places left like that are Cuba & North Korea.

        If given power [or if no one rises to stop them], they
        will do so again. It is the nature of the
        totalitarian state.

        Chuck

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
          > when
          > did the barbed wire, roadblocks, etc go up to start with, and what
          > reasons/excuses did the gov't use (both to their own populations and
          > to the outside world)

          They started building them in 1949, Julie, and it took several years
          until almost the whole border with Austria and West Germany were
          fenced. They first focused on the areas near villages, and left the
          densely forested sections till the end. Some of the villages close to
          the border were off limits except for the local population for various
          periods of time. For instance, Devin near Bratislava with its popular
          castle ruin was a "closed village" for a number of years.

          > basically imprisoning entire countries

          Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the capitalist spies
          and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense to protect the
          free world from the imperialist West's intention to attack, occupy,
          and crush their joyful lives with its fascist armies.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
            Martin:

            I loved your explanation. Thank you.

            Chuck

            --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

            > > when
            > > did the barbed wire, roadblocks, etc go up to
            > start with, and what
            > > reasons/excuses did the gov't use (both to their
            > own populations and
            > > to the outside world)
            >
            > They started building them in 1949, Julie, and it
            > took several years
            > until almost the whole border with Austria and West
            > Germany were
            > fenced. They first focused on the areas near
            > villages, and left the
            > densely forested sections till the end. Some of the
            > villages close to
            > the border were off limits except for the local
            > population for various
            > periods of time. For instance, Devin near
            > Bratislava with its popular
            > castle ruin was a "closed village" for a number of
            > years.
            >
            > > basically imprisoning entire countries
            >
            > Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the
            > capitalist spies
            > and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense
            > to protect the
            > free world from the imperialist West's intention to
            > attack, occupy,
            > and crush their joyful lives with its fascist
            > armies.
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2008
              Thanks Martin, for a good laugh for the day!

              helene

              --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

              > Now, now. It was done for their sake: to keep the
              > capitalist spies
              > and saboteurs out, and as a military line of defense
              > to protect the
              > free world from the imperialist West's intention to
              > attack, occupy,
              > and crush their joyful lives with its fascist
              > armies.
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?