Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Mythology & Folklore

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
      Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
      good suggestions!

      helene
      --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

      > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
      > Demonu" by
      > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
      > Slavic gods
      > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
      > focusing on
      > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
      > be where
      > most of the info comes from.
      >
      > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
      > of Slavs, it
      > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
      > The section
      > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
      > nothing has
      > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
      > mentions of
      > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
      > the oral
      > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
      > in proverbs.
      >
      > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
      > thunder and the
      > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
      > and the
      > underworld.
      >
      > Joe
      >

      > > Hi
      > >
      > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
      > books
      > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
      > > folklore???
      > >
      > > thanks
      > >
      > > helene

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • J.
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
        Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

        ** TRY THIS LINK:

        www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

        You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
        will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

        ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
        With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

        =======================================
        original link:
        http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

        there are several books that may fit your requirements
        <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

        'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
        ==============================
      • Andy V..
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

          Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
          the coming
          of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
          And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
          traditional foods for blessing
          but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

          Regards to all... Andy V...
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
            Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
            the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

            Nick
          • Lou Bolchazy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
              Try <slovakculture.org>

              **************************************
              Lou Bolchazy
              President
              Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
              1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
              Wauconda, Illinois 60084
              lou@...
              Tollfree: 800.392.6453
              Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
              Fax: 847.526.2867
              **************************************
              Slovak American International Cultural
              Foundation, Inc.
              1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
              Wauconda, Illinois 60084
              Phone: 847.526.4396
              **************************************

              "A better future through the lessons of the past."
              www.bolchazy.com

              "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
              www.slovakculture.org

              "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
              www.gilgamesh-online.com
              www.ceecs.net

              Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
              AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

              Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
              www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/