Re:new Slovak language textbook

  • Larry Buback
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      Does anyone know how to order or obtain one of these books?

      Larry Buback
      lbuback@...

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
        Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
        good suggestions!

        helene
        --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

        > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
        > Demonu" by
        > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
        > Slavic gods
        > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
        > focusing on
        > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
        > be where
        > most of the info comes from.
        >
        > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
        > of Slavs, it
        > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
        > The section
        > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
        > nothing has
        > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
        > mentions of
        > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
        > the oral
        > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
        > in proverbs.
        >
        > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
        > thunder and the
        > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
        > and the
        > underworld.
        >
        > Joe
        >

        > > Hi
        > >
        > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
        > books
        > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
        > > folklore???
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >
        > > helene

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • J.
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
          Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

          ** TRY THIS LINK:

          www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

          You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
          will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

          ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
          With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

          =======================================
          original link:
          http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

          there are several books that may fit your requirements
          <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

          'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
          ==============================
        • Andy V..
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

            Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
            the coming
            of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
            And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
            traditional foods for blessing
            but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

            Regards to all... Andy V...
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
              Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
              the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

              Nick
            • Lou Bolchazy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                Try <slovakculture.org>

                **************************************
                Lou Bolchazy
                President
                Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
                1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
                Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                lou@...
                Tollfree: 800.392.6453
                Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
                Fax: 847.526.2867
                **************************************
                Slovak American International Cultural
                Foundation, Inc.
                1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
                Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                Phone: 847.526.4396
                **************************************

                "A better future through the lessons of the past."
                www.bolchazy.com

                "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
                www.slovakculture.org

                "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
                www.gilgamesh-online.com
                www.ceecs.net

                Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
                AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

                Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
                www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/