Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Mythology & Folklore

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a Demonu" by
      Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the Slavic gods
      and other supernatural figures in general, primarily focusing on
      Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to be where
      most of the info comes from.

      In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups of Slavs, it
      doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs. The section
      for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says nothing has
      survived in written works (the author dismisses some mentions of
      gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In the oral
      tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived in proverbs.

      Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with thunder and the
      sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle and the
      underworld.

      Joe

      > Hi
      >
      > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
      > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
      > folklore???
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > helene

    • Larry Buback
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        Does anyone know how to order or obtain one of these books?

        Larry Buback
        lbuback@...

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
          Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
          good suggestions!

          helene
          --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

          > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
          > Demonu" by
          > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
          > Slavic gods
          > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
          > focusing on
          > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
          > be where
          > most of the info comes from.
          >
          > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
          > of Slavs, it
          > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
          > The section
          > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
          > nothing has
          > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
          > mentions of
          > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
          > the oral
          > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
          > in proverbs.
          >
          > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
          > thunder and the
          > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
          > and the
          > underworld.
          >
          > Joe
          >

          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
          > books
          > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
          > > folklore???
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > helene

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • J.
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
            Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

            ** TRY THIS LINK:

            www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

            You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
            will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

            ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
            With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

            =======================================
            original link:
            http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

            there are several books that may fit your requirements
            <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

            'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
            ==============================
          • Andy V..
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

              Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
              the coming
              of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
              And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
              traditional foods for blessing
              but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

              Regards to all... Andy V...
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
                Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
                the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

                Nick
              • Lou Bolchazy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Try <slovakculture.org>

                  **************************************
                  Lou Bolchazy
                  President
                  Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
                  1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
                  Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                  lou@...
                  Tollfree: 800.392.6453
                  Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
                  Fax: 847.526.2867
                  **************************************
                  Slovak American International Cultural
                  Foundation, Inc.
                  1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
                  Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                  Phone: 847.526.4396
                  **************************************

                  "A better future through the lessons of the past."
                  www.bolchazy.com

                  "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
                  www.slovakculture.org

                  "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
                  www.gilgamesh-online.com
                  www.ceecs.net

                  Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
                  AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

                  Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
                  www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/