Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Mythology & Folklor

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      Though I didn't grow up in a Slovak community, I DO recall my maternal
      grandfather, Mom AND Dad evoking the wrath of a couple gods/goddesses on
      not-so-nice neighbors. (And for Dad to do so was a shock, since he was a
      firm believer in "speak English"!)

      Grandfather sometimes muttered something (not in English!) about
      "Perun" about a not-so-nice male neighbor of his generation. About a
      decade later, in a different neighborhood, my mother used the same
      expression about a not-so-nice female neighbor (of Mom's generation)
      who yelled at all the neighborhood kids. I told Mom that I
      remembered Grandfather using that expression about Mr. "So-and-So" & asked
      her what it meant. She said it was sort of "a curse" evoking Perun to deal
      with the "offensive" person. (No, I do NOT remember the words -- I guess
      that's why neither Mom or Grandfather made the remark in English!)

      We also had a nosy neighbor at whom Dad yelled. I can't remember the name
      of the "god"/"goddess" whose name was evoked, but I asked Mom about it years
      later. She remembered not only the nosy neighbor but Dad's comment & said
      it had to do with asking a 2-headed bird (NOT the double-eagle)
      god/goddess to take/eat the person's eyes out. (What's the name of that
      2-headed bird?)
      MARIANNE

      P.S.: I'm a life-long resident of the L.A.-area of California & anytime
      there was a strong earthquake Mom said: "Someone made Valivrch very
      angry".

      On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:50 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks so much Barbara and Laci -
      >
      > Would love to see a listing of the Pantheon of Slovak
      > Gods and Goddesses - don't see any females in the
      > list!!!
      >
      > appreciate your writing and will pass it on to the
      > person who requested info.
      >
      > helene
      >
      > --- bkoeller <bkoeller@... <bkoeller%40ptd.net>> wrote:
      >
      > > Traditional Slovak Folktales. Collected by Pavol
      > > Dobsinsky; edited and translated by David L. Cooper.
      > > M.E. Sharpe, c.2001.
      > >
      > > Some of the gods mentioned are Perun (Slavic god of
      > > thunder and lightning); Lomidrevo ("Breakwood") -- a
      > > heroic character with supernatural strength;
      > > Miesizelezo - - another character with supernatural
      > > strength; Valivrch (rolls mountains around). These
      > > are stories, not a critical analysis. There is an
      > > interesting introduction as well.
      > >
      > > Barbara Koeller

    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a Demonu" by
        Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the Slavic gods
        and other supernatural figures in general, primarily focusing on
        Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to be where
        most of the info comes from.

        In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups of Slavs, it
        doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs. The section
        for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says nothing has
        survived in written works (the author dismisses some mentions of
        gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In the oral
        tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived in proverbs.

        Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with thunder and the
        sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle and the
        underworld.

        Joe

        > Hi
        >
        > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
        > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
        > folklore???
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > helene

      • Larry Buback
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          Does anyone know how to order or obtain one of these books?

          Larry Buback
          lbuback@...

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
            Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
            good suggestions!

            helene
            --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

            > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
            > Demonu" by
            > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
            > Slavic gods
            > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
            > focusing on
            > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
            > be where
            > most of the info comes from.
            >
            > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
            > of Slavs, it
            > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
            > The section
            > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
            > nothing has
            > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
            > mentions of
            > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
            > the oral
            > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
            > in proverbs.
            >
            > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
            > thunder and the
            > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
            > and the
            > underworld.
            >
            > Joe
            >

            > > Hi
            > >
            > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
            > books
            > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
            > > folklore???
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > helene

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • J.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
              Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

              ** TRY THIS LINK:

              www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

              You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
              will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

              ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
              With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

              =======================================
              original link:
              http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

              there are several books that may fit your requirements
              <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

              'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
              ==============================
            • Andy V..
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

                Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
                the coming
                of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
                And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
                traditional foods for blessing
                but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

                Regards to all... Andy V...
              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
                  Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
                  the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

                  Nick
                • Lou Bolchazy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Try <slovakculture.org>

                    **************************************
                    Lou Bolchazy
                    President
                    Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
                    1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
                    Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                    lou@...
                    Tollfree: 800.392.6453
                    Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
                    Fax: 847.526.2867
                    **************************************
                    Slovak American International Cultural
                    Foundation, Inc.
                    1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
                    Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                    Phone: 847.526.4396
                    **************************************

                    "A better future through the lessons of the past."
                    www.bolchazy.com

                    "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
                    www.slovakculture.org

                    "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
                    www.gilgamesh-online.com
                    www.ceecs.net

                    Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
                    AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

                    Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
                    www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/