Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Mythology & Folklore

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      Helene, here is one site I know of: http://www.tccweb.org/eastern.htm
      There is also another one, I have to look for it. The second site REALLY goes into it! They even sell those "black pots"!!
      maxine sasala

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        helene you might check out this page:

        http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

        there are several books that may fit your requirements

        <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517> Tales from Slavic
        Myths <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>
        By Ivan Hudec

        The world of Slavic myths is now accessible to English-language readers.
        These myths, now supplanted by Christian belief, are important to
        understanding the development of Slavic civilization and character.
        /Slavic . /

        <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=5033>

        /Slavic Myths/ presents careful re-tellings of essential Slavic
        mythology. No other title offers an introduction to Slavic mythology in
        such an accessible and charming form. The tales and the importance . . .

        Regards andy V...

        helene cincebeaux wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
        > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
        > folklore???
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > helene

        > Be a better friend, newshound, and
        > <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

      • Marianne Petruska
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          Though I didn't grow up in a Slovak community, I DO recall my maternal
          grandfather, Mom AND Dad evoking the wrath of a couple gods/goddesses on
          not-so-nice neighbors. (And for Dad to do so was a shock, since he was a
          firm believer in "speak English"!)

          Grandfather sometimes muttered something (not in English!) about
          "Perun" about a not-so-nice male neighbor of his generation. About a
          decade later, in a different neighborhood, my mother used the same
          expression about a not-so-nice female neighbor (of Mom's generation)
          who yelled at all the neighborhood kids. I told Mom that I
          remembered Grandfather using that expression about Mr. "So-and-So" & asked
          her what it meant. She said it was sort of "a curse" evoking Perun to deal
          with the "offensive" person. (No, I do NOT remember the words -- I guess
          that's why neither Mom or Grandfather made the remark in English!)

          We also had a nosy neighbor at whom Dad yelled. I can't remember the name
          of the "god"/"goddess" whose name was evoked, but I asked Mom about it years
          later. She remembered not only the nosy neighbor but Dad's comment & said
          it had to do with asking a 2-headed bird (NOT the double-eagle)
          god/goddess to take/eat the person's eyes out. (What's the name of that
          2-headed bird?)
          MARIANNE

          P.S.: I'm a life-long resident of the L.A.-area of California & anytime
          there was a strong earthquake Mom said: "Someone made Valivrch very
          angry".

          On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:50 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks so much Barbara and Laci -
          >
          > Would love to see a listing of the Pantheon of Slovak
          > Gods and Goddesses - don't see any females in the
          > list!!!
          >
          > appreciate your writing and will pass it on to the
          > person who requested info.
          >
          > helene
          >
          > --- bkoeller <bkoeller@... <bkoeller%40ptd.net>> wrote:
          >
          > > Traditional Slovak Folktales. Collected by Pavol
          > > Dobsinsky; edited and translated by David L. Cooper.
          > > M.E. Sharpe, c.2001.
          > >
          > > Some of the gods mentioned are Perun (Slavic god of
          > > thunder and lightning); Lomidrevo ("Breakwood") -- a
          > > heroic character with supernatural strength;
          > > Miesizelezo - - another character with supernatural
          > > strength; Valivrch (rolls mountains around). These
          > > are stories, not a critical analysis. There is an
          > > interesting introduction as well.
          > >
          > > Barbara Koeller

        • Joe Armata
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
            There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a Demonu" by
            Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the Slavic gods
            and other supernatural figures in general, primarily focusing on
            Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to be where
            most of the info comes from.

            In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups of Slavs, it
            doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs. The section
            for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says nothing has
            survived in written works (the author dismisses some mentions of
            gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In the oral
            tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived in proverbs.

            Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with thunder and the
            sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle and the
            underworld.

            Joe

            > Hi
            >
            > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
            > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
            > folklore???
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > helene

          • Larry Buback
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
              Does anyone know how to order or obtain one of these books?

              Larry Buback
              lbuback@...

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
                Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
                good suggestions!

                helene
                --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

                > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
                > Demonu" by
                > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
                > Slavic gods
                > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
                > focusing on
                > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
                > be where
                > most of the info comes from.
                >
                > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
                > of Slavs, it
                > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
                > The section
                > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
                > nothing has
                > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
                > mentions of
                > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
                > the oral
                > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
                > in proverbs.
                >
                > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
                > thunder and the
                > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
                > and the
                > underworld.
                >
                > Joe
                >

                > > Hi
                > >
                > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
                > books
                > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
                > > folklore???
                > >
                > > thanks
                > >
                > > helene

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • J.
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

                  ** TRY THIS LINK:

                  www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

                  You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
                  will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

                  ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
                  With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

                  =======================================
                  original link:
                  http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

                  there are several books that may fit your requirements
                  <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

                  'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
                  ==============================
                • Andy V..
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

                    Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
                    the coming
                    of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
                    And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
                    traditional foods for blessing
                    but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

                    Regards to all... Andy V...
                  • Nick Holcz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
                      Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
                      the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

                      Nick
                    • Lou Bolchazy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Try <slovakculture.org>

                        **************************************
                        Lou Bolchazy
                        President
                        Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
                        1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
                        Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                        lou@...
                        Tollfree: 800.392.6453
                        Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
                        Fax: 847.526.2867
                        **************************************
                        Slovak American International Cultural
                        Foundation, Inc.
                        1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
                        Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                        Phone: 847.526.4396
                        **************************************

                        "A better future through the lessons of the past."
                        www.bolchazy.com

                        "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
                        www.slovakculture.org

                        "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
                        www.gilgamesh-online.com
                        www.ceecs.net

                        Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
                        AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

                        Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
                        www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/