Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Mythology & Folklore

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      Thanks so much Barbara and Laci -

      Would love to see a listing of the Pantheon of Slovak
      Gods and Goddesses - don't see any females in the
      list!!!

      appreciate your writing and will pass it on to the
      person who requested info.

      helene

      --- bkoeller <bkoeller@...> wrote:

      > Traditional Slovak Folktales. Collected by Pavol
      > Dobsinsky; edited and translated by David L. Cooper.
      > M.E. Sharpe, c.2001.
      >
      > Some of the gods mentioned are Perun (Slavic god of
      > thunder and lightning); Lomidrevo ("Breakwood") -- a
      > heroic character with supernatural strength;
      > Miesizelezo - - another character with supernatural
      > strength; Valivrch (rolls mountains around). These
      > are stories, not a critical analysis. There is an
      > interesting introduction as well.
      >
      > Barbara Koeller

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        Helene, here is one site I know of: http://www.tccweb.org/eastern.htm
        There is also another one, I have to look for it. The second site REALLY goes into it! They even sell those "black pots"!!
        maxine sasala

        --- bkoeller <bkoeller@...> wrote:

        > Traditional Slovak Folktales. Collected by Pavol
        > Dobsinsky; edited and translated by David L. Cooper.
        > M.E. Sharpe, c.2001.
        >
        > Some of the gods mentioned are Perun (Slavic god of
        > thunder and lightning); Lomidrevo ("Breakwood") -- a
        > heroic character with supernatural strength;
        > Miesizelezo - - another character with supernatural
        > strength; Valivrch (rolls mountains around). These
        > are stories, not a critical analysis. There is an
        > interesting introduction as well.
        >
        > Barbara Koeller

      • Andy V..
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          helene you might check out this page:

          http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

          there are several books that may fit your requirements

          <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517> Tales from Slavic
          Myths <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>
          By Ivan Hudec

          The world of Slavic myths is now accessible to English-language readers.
          These myths, now supplanted by Christian belief, are important to
          understanding the development of Slavic civilization and character.
          /Slavic . /

          <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=5033>

          /Slavic Myths/ presents careful re-tellings of essential Slavic
          mythology. No other title offers an introduction to Slavic mythology in
          such an accessible and charming form. The tales and the importance . . .

          Regards andy V...

          helene cincebeaux wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
          > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
          > folklore???
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > helene

          > Be a better friend, newshound, and
          > <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

        • Marianne Petruska
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
            Though I didn't grow up in a Slovak community, I DO recall my maternal
            grandfather, Mom AND Dad evoking the wrath of a couple gods/goddesses on
            not-so-nice neighbors. (And for Dad to do so was a shock, since he was a
            firm believer in "speak English"!)

            Grandfather sometimes muttered something (not in English!) about
            "Perun" about a not-so-nice male neighbor of his generation. About a
            decade later, in a different neighborhood, my mother used the same
            expression about a not-so-nice female neighbor (of Mom's generation)
            who yelled at all the neighborhood kids. I told Mom that I
            remembered Grandfather using that expression about Mr. "So-and-So" & asked
            her what it meant. She said it was sort of "a curse" evoking Perun to deal
            with the "offensive" person. (No, I do NOT remember the words -- I guess
            that's why neither Mom or Grandfather made the remark in English!)

            We also had a nosy neighbor at whom Dad yelled. I can't remember the name
            of the "god"/"goddess" whose name was evoked, but I asked Mom about it years
            later. She remembered not only the nosy neighbor but Dad's comment & said
            it had to do with asking a 2-headed bird (NOT the double-eagle)
            god/goddess to take/eat the person's eyes out. (What's the name of that
            2-headed bird?)
            MARIANNE

            P.S.: I'm a life-long resident of the L.A.-area of California & anytime
            there was a strong earthquake Mom said: "Someone made Valivrch very
            angry".

            On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:50 AM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks so much Barbara and Laci -
            >
            > Would love to see a listing of the Pantheon of Slovak
            > Gods and Goddesses - don't see any females in the
            > list!!!
            >
            > appreciate your writing and will pass it on to the
            > person who requested info.
            >
            > helene
            >
            > --- bkoeller <bkoeller@... <bkoeller%40ptd.net>> wrote:
            >
            > > Traditional Slovak Folktales. Collected by Pavol
            > > Dobsinsky; edited and translated by David L. Cooper.
            > > M.E. Sharpe, c.2001.
            > >
            > > Some of the gods mentioned are Perun (Slavic god of
            > > thunder and lightning); Lomidrevo ("Breakwood") -- a
            > > heroic character with supernatural strength;
            > > Miesizelezo - - another character with supernatural
            > > strength; Valivrch (rolls mountains around). These
            > > are stories, not a critical analysis. There is an
            > > interesting introduction as well.
            > >
            > > Barbara Koeller

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
              There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a Demonu" by
              Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the Slavic gods
              and other supernatural figures in general, primarily focusing on
              Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to be where
              most of the info comes from.

              In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups of Slavs, it
              doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs. The section
              for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says nothing has
              survived in written works (the author dismisses some mentions of
              gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In the oral
              tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived in proverbs.

              Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with thunder and the
              sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle and the
              underworld.

              Joe

              > Hi
              >
              > Does any one have suggestions for a request for books
              > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
              > folklore???
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > helene

            • Larry Buback
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                Does anyone know how to order or obtain one of these books?

                Larry Buback
                lbuback@...

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Thanks to you Joe and to all who responded with such
                  good suggestions!

                  helene
                  --- Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

                  > There's a book in Czech "Svet Slovanskych Bohu a
                  > Demonu" by
                  > Zdenek Vana, Panorama Praha, 1990. It discusses the
                  > Slavic gods
                  > and other supernatural figures in general, primarily
                  > focusing on
                  > Russian and Polabian traditions, since that seems to
                  > be where
                  > most of the info comes from.
                  >
                  > In a chapter discussing the gods of specific groups
                  > of Slavs, it
                  > doesn't include Slovaks, but does include Czechs.
                  > The section
                  > for Czechs is all of one page, and basically says
                  > nothing has
                  > survived in written works (the author dismisses some
                  > mentions of
                  > gods in the 16th and 17th centuries as invented). In
                  > the oral
                  > tradition, he mentions that Perun and Veles survived
                  > in proverbs.
                  >
                  > Perun was the chief Slavic god, associated with
                  > thunder and the
                  > sky, and Veles was his rival, associated with cattle
                  > and the
                  > underworld.
                  >
                  > Joe
                  >

                  > > Hi
                  > >
                  > > Does any one have suggestions for a request for
                  > books
                  > > or articles on Slovak mythology - the old gods or
                  > > folklore???
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > >
                  > > helene

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • J.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Regarding link to the "Index for Bolchazy"... Book: 'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec

                    ** TRY THIS LINK:

                    www.bolchazy.com/gallery/slavicmyth/mslidemain.html

                    You will go directly to a slide show of the artist's work - an on-line gallery of his art. You
                    will see 68 paintings of each god/goddesses and a brief description of who they are.

                    ...OR, you can type artist's name: Ivan Hudec into Google
                    With a little scrolling, you can also find the same on-line gallery that way.

                    =======================================
                    original link:
                    http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=slovak&sub=all

                    there are several books that may fit your requirements
                    <http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=slovak&id=4517>

                    'Tales from Slavic Myths' By Ivan Hudec
                    ==============================
                  • Andy V..
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008

                      Don't think I have ever seen things so quiet on SW... Guess Lent and
                      the coming
                      of Easter has everybody busy spring cleaning, baking and coloring eggs...
                      And I have my easter basket out and am getting ready to fill it with the
                      traditional foods for blessing
                      but I am not all that keen on the spring cleaning...

                      Regards to all... Andy V...
                    • Nick Holcz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 12, 2008
                        Don't know why it is quiet, but it isn't spring cleaning this end of
                        the world. It is supposedly autumn here but it was 35C today.

                        Nick
                      • Lou Bolchazy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 6, 2008
                          Try <slovakculture.org>

                          **************************************
                          Lou Bolchazy
                          President
                          Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
                          1000 Brown Street, Unit 101
                          Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                          lou@...
                          Tollfree: 800.392.6453
                          Phone: 847.526.4344 x17
                          Fax: 847.526.2867
                          **************************************
                          Slovak American International Cultural
                          Foundation, Inc.
                          1000 Brown Street, Unit 102
                          Wauconda, Illinois 60084
                          Phone: 847.526.4396
                          **************************************

                          "A better future through the lessons of the past."
                          www.bolchazy.com

                          "Slavic books and art, our best ambassadors to the world."
                          www.slovakculture.org

                          "The antidote to xenophobia is reading each others literatures."
                          www.gilgamesh-online.com
                          www.ceecs.net

                          Contribute to our Forums at www.bolchazy.com/forum:
                          AP Classics, eLearning, Artes Latinae, and more!

                          Get your daily dose of Latin and BC news at
                          www.bcpublishers.blogspot.com/