Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice & Tatranska Lomnica

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2008
      Thank you Martin; I kind of had that info, but thought it was the
      name of the artist being showcased when I was there, and didn't
      realize it was the name of the shop/owner.

      The shop has a variety of crafts/arts, not just blacksmith-y stuff.
      Definitely worth a visit!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Feb 27, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

      >> at Hrnciarska 15, which is a couple of blocks
      >> east of Hlavna Ulica.
      >
      > Kosice has zoned Hrnciarska (Potters' St.) as a commercial street
      > designated for traditional craft shops:
      >
      > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm
      >
      > The one at #15 is listed as "Umelecky kovac Cyril Horak" (Artist
      > Blacksmith): cyril.horak "at" stonline "dot" sk
      >

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        Speaking of "traditional items", when I was in the Carp. Mountains, they all served soup in a beautiful big bowl, I guess it was designed especially for soup. Does anyone know where I may purchase one? They servred soup twice a day. maxine sasala

        Ah, yes! That's him, Pan Horak, the blacksmith. Are you sure it's not Kovacska though? I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.

        >>> "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> 02/27/08 4:02 PM >>>
        > at Hrnciarska 15, which is a couple of blocks
        > east of Hlavna Ulica.

        Kosice has zoned Hrnciarska (Potters' St.) as a commercial street
        designated for traditional craft shops:

        http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm

        The one at #15 is listed as "Umelecky kovac Cyril Horak" (Artist
        Blacksmith): cyril.horak "at" stonline "dot" sk

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          > Are you sure it's not Kovacska though?
          > I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.

          With Julie's record, the evidence at the link I'd posted:

          > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm

          ... several sites that give the store's address as "Hrnciarska 15,"
          supported by Hrnciarska showing up on a map:

          http://tinyurl.com/32qyat

          ... with a grayed-out area marking a walking (shopping) precinct, I
          don't see anything that should throw Julie's record in doubt.

          > but thought it was the name of the artist being showcased

          I agree, Julie, quite an uninventive name. I couldn't believe it at
          first, either, but then I did find a record of him registering the
          store under that name there sometime in the late 1990s.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Lil Junas
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            Just to throw in another comment about this unique ulica --one of my
            favorites areas of Kosice!
            On one of my month-long media study trips to Slovakia with students from
            Wartburg College, one of my students (an art major) would walk to Hrnciarska
            Ulica at 6 a.m. every day we were in Kosice to sketch scenes of that street.
            I now have a 11x14" wood block print that she made from one of her sketches
            (a scene including the church tower) hanging on the wall of my travel room.

            Lil

            On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

            > > Are you sure it's not Kovacska though?
            > > I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.
            >
            > With Julie's record, the evidence at the link I'd posted:
            >
            > > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm
            >
            > ... several sites that give the store's address as "Hrnciarska 15,"
            > supported by Hrnciarska showing up on a map:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/32qyat
            >
            > ... with a grayed-out area marking a walking (shopping) precinct, I
            > don't see anything that should throw Julie's record in doubt.
            >

            > > but thought it was the name of the artist being showcased
            >
            > I agree, Julie, quite an uninventive name. I couldn't believe it at
            > first, either, but then I did find a record of him registering the
            > store under that name there sometime in the late 1990s.
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

            "To be nobody but myself."
            www.ljunas.com

          • Armata, Joseph R
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
              I just got this from a friend.

              Joe

              ****

              The Pittsburgh-based Carpatho-Rusyn Society is sponsoring a Lemko-Rusyn Language Study Abroad trip to the Lemko region of southeastern Poland from 10 to 27 July. Registration is underway now, and since only 15 people can take part, act now if you're interested.

              This first-ever Rusyn-language learning program for foreigners in Europe is being held in Gorlice, Poland, at the historic Ruska Bursa building. Classes are held there regularly for locals, but this is the first time instruction will be geared towards English speakers.

              The cost is estimated at $2800, which includes round-trip airfare from Newark to Krakow, transportation between Krakow and Gorlice, hotels, most meals, all materials including take-home learning materials on CD, as well as participation in the annual Lemko Vatra festival in Zdynia.

              If interested, send an email to lemkotour@... as soon as possible.
            • Armata, Joseph R
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review had an article on the Dukla Pass yesterday; here's an online link with Slovak World's own Bill Tarkulich:

                http://tinyurl.com/5cp7be

                Joe
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                  Thanks, Joe.

                  Is Bill thinking of leading a tour of the area in the near future?  I would love to attend.

                  Chuck