RE: [Slovak-World] Re: ako financ kozu

  • J. Edward Polko
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      Aside from the fact that "ano and no" mostly mean the same thing. Also the
      most important word that anyone studying Slovak must know when going to
      Slovakia is "Zackod(spelling) " or
      "Hayzel (spelling)" which is a coloquialism of zachod. :It is one of the
      most important phrases over there for the new to the Slovak language. I was
      in a most embarassing situation bcause I had always thought that I was
      sufficiently fluent in the language. it means where is the washroom?

      regards, to everyone,

      John e, Polko
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
        > Rusyns are all over the map with their "yes"

        Thanks, Rich. A good example to have that underscores the
        "instability" of the words of consent.

        > In Ukraine's Zakarpatska oblast, the native Rusyn dialects mostly
        > use "ajno" (looks kind of like Czech!)

        Interesting. It need not be Czech if they use, or used to use the
        word _aj_ in the sense of "and" or "also." The Czech _ano_ came about
        as a fusion of _a_ (and) + _no_ (polyfunctional). If _aj_ has that
        meaning in Zakarpatska, it would be parallel Rusyn development, not an
        adoption of a foreign word.

        Regardless, there would have to be many Rusyn words with [aj] where
        Czech has a short [a] (or many Rusyn words with [aj] where Slovak has
        a long [a']) for it to be from Czech (possibly via Slovak) rather than
        "native." I'd be interested to know if any of that is the case.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2008
          Chuck,
          If you zoom out one notch, Male Ozorovce SE of Parchovany, the 2nd village SE of Secovce. If you keep going to the SE, you'll see Slanske Nove Mesto, the 3rd village SE of Male Ozorovce.

          >>> LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> 2/29/2008 5:34:10 PM >>>
          Helen:

          I was unable to locate either on Google Maps.

          > Father = Slanske Nove Mesto
          > Mother = Male Ozorovce

          I sent you a Google link of Parchovany to you.

          Chuck

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs