Re: [Slovak-World] Re: the Fence

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
      Thanks for submitting this. I just finished reading "Cry Little
      Girl", a Tale of the Survival of a Family in Slovakia by Aliza Barak-
      Ressler.

      It starts in Michalovce where there was a huge population of Jews.
      The family escapes being sent to concentration camps many times, hides
      in the woods in the winter, finds pits where wine barrels where stored
      many years earlier and live there for months, receiving help from a
      good Slovak family and the priest in Jarok (near Nitra).

      Very worth reading. Julia Matchett

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
        Martin:

        I stand corrected.

        It IS, however, the most religious country that I have
        visited. Please forgive.

        Thank you sir, may I have another.

        ;)

        Chuck

        --- Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

        > > It is the most deeply religious country in Europe
        >
        > That is not borne out by comparative surveys. On a
        > 4-tier scale,
        > Slovakia is in the "second tier" in religiosity:
        > less religious than
        > first-tier countries that include (alphabetical
        > order) Austria,
        > Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal,
        > Switzerland, and others.
        >
        > Slovakia shares the second tier with Finland,
        > Norway, Iceland (closest
        > to Slovakia, both at the "more religious end" in
        > this tier), Latvia,
        > Spain, and others.
        >
        > The third tier includes, e.g. Britain and Germany.
        > The four least
        > religious countries in Europe are the Czech R.,
        > Estonia, France, and
        > the Netherlands.
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • J. Edward Polko
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hi Folks,

          Aside from the fact that "ano and no" mostly mean the same thing. Also the
          most important word that anyone studying Slovak must know when going to
          Slovakia is "Zackod(spelling) " or
          "Hayzel (spelling)" which is a coloquialism of zachod. :It is one of the
          most important phrases over there for the new to the Slovak language. I was
          in a most embarassing situation bcause I had always thought that I was
          sufficiently fluent in the language. it means where is the washroom?

          regards, to everyone,

          John e, Polko
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 1, 2008
            > Rusyns are all over the map with their "yes"

            Thanks, Rich. A good example to have that underscores the
            "instability" of the words of consent.

            > In Ukraine's Zakarpatska oblast, the native Rusyn dialects mostly
            > use "ajno" (looks kind of like Czech!)

            Interesting. It need not be Czech if they use, or used to use the
            word _aj_ in the sense of "and" or "also." The Czech _ano_ came about
            as a fusion of _a_ (and) + _no_ (polyfunctional). If _aj_ has that
            meaning in Zakarpatska, it would be parallel Rusyn development, not an
            adoption of a foreign word.

            Regardless, there would have to be many Rusyn words with [aj] where
            Czech has a short [a] (or many Rusyn words with [aj] where Slovak has
            a long [a']) for it to be from Czech (possibly via Slovak) rather than
            "native." I'd be interested to know if any of that is the case.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 3, 2008
              Chuck,
              If you zoom out one notch, Male Ozorovce SE of Parchovany, the 2nd village SE of Secovce. If you keep going to the SE, you'll see Slanske Nove Mesto, the 3rd village SE of Male Ozorovce.

              >>> LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> 2/29/2008 5:34:10 PM >>>
              Helen:

              I was unable to locate either on Google Maps.

              > Father = Slanske Nove Mesto
              > Mother = Male Ozorovce

              I sent you a Google link of Parchovany to you.

              Chuck

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs