Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice & Tatranska Lomnica

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 23 6:23 PM
      Hi Bill -

      I like the Centrum Hotel for its location but there
      are also some charming B&Bs in the old town or on the
      edges of it. But they fill up fast.

      Charming folk art is hard to find - paintings are
      quite impossible - that's why I was so thrilled to
      have the work for my "Slovaka" covers - wait til you
      see the spring issue!!!!!

      There are so many artists there but not many doing
      folk themes - lots of modern art and scenery but very
      little of folk. Funny as that is the one thing many
      are looking for and would pay good prices for.

      Best bet for folk art souvenirs are the ULUV stores -
      they carry fine crafts and everything from ceramics to
      straw, paper, tin, bone, embroideries, felt, textiles,
      toys, jewelry, etc. Also some really lovely blouses,
      vests and headgear based on various villages done for
      men and women - these are exquisitely made.

      There used to be an ULUV in Kosice but think it is
      closed, the info center would know - a small one
      exists in Bardejov and an even smaller one in Presov
      and a really great one - my favorite - re-opened last
      year in Tatranska Lomnica on the right hand side of
      the main drag.

      For some reason I really love shopping in Tatranska
      Lomnica - the jewelry/souvenir shop has some fine
      things even hand-made jewelry and Modra ceramics; the
      garden store is tons of fun with all the flowers
      outside; there is a sporting goods store and farther
      along the main street is an information center and a
      really magnificent book and map store - my favorite in
      the whole country! Can get some great things here and
      the ladies who run it are sooo nice. there are a line
      of craft stalls going down from the jewelry store with
      interesting things and some really cute restaurants
      and cafes, Stary Smokovec has developed a small
      shopping area too.

      Back to Kosice - Once we got 2 wonderful portrait
      paintings of a boy and girl in folk dress in the
      antique store that is near the cathedral but not on
      the main square - the street off to the right. Is it
      Alzbetina Street? There is a good bakery, book store,
      leather goods shop, crystal store farther down and a
      small antiques shop.

      There are interesting courtyards in Kosice to explore
      and also on the streets going off the Square. Then
      there is the Tesco at the far end where they have
      everything. in the summer there is a horse drawn tram
      to get you down the very long street - it's a
      kilometer or two long. And the super museum with the
      treasures of fold unearthed decades ago. Sometimes a
      good idea to walk up it and then take a taxi back.

      Beyond the cathedral and the theatre is another more
      classical church on the right with another really
      beautiful fountain in the center.

      Kosice is known for its underground museum - things
      discovered when renovating and restoring the old town.
      Often musical events are held at the open area there
      at the beginning of the walking zone.

      helene

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 23 8:06 PM
        > and a really great one - my favorite - re-opened last
        > year in Tatranska Lomnica

        I couldn't agree more, Helene. It has sometimes rivaled the ones in
        Bratislava. The ULUV stores carry the most authentic traditional and
        "contemporary" folk art in Slovakia:

        http://www.uluv.sk/en/web/home

        They're supervised by a special board of experts in ethnology that do
        not allow anything -- material or design -- that is not based in local
        traditions. ULUV seeks out and maintains a network of women and men
        who make those things at home (or historical craft-shops, e.g.
        pottery) in Slovakia. Nothing ULUV carries is factory-manufactured,
        imported or of quasi-folkloric metropolitan-international design,
        unlike a lot of what's on sale in the ubiquitous souvenir-folksy
        stores, which tourists and many Slovaks therefore tend to find more to
        their taste. Slovakia has no other stores in the same class as those
        maintained by ULUV.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • The Brown's
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 23 8:11 PM
          ITIS GOODTO HEAR FROM YOU,ENJOY YOUR TIME IN KOSICE,IF YOU CAN,EMAIL
          PICTURES
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 25 4:41 PM
            Helene,
            Wow. More great information. Thank you. I will save a copy and take
            it with me. It is strange that there is so little folk art to find,
            especially paintings, but we will have fun hunting! I just want
            something to hang in our house that will be a nice reminder of our
            visits and the birthplace of my GF. We lived in England for almost 9
            years and when we left our local group gave us a small water color
            painting of our favorite country pub, thatch roof and all. It hangs
            in a prominent place in our house and is a reminder of pleasant times
            past. Now, if I could find someone to do a water color of Spis Castle
            with my GF's village of Jablonov in the background .........
            Thanks!
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > Ask about any concerts or special events while you
            > > are
            > > > there. And night life - sometimes there are
            > > specials
            > > > for students - many students here with the
            > > > universities in Kosice.
            > > >
            > > > You can taste absinthe there in some cafes. I
            > > enjoy
            > > > the antique shops and the wonderful book and map
            > > > stores - good to stroll the main square and also
            > > the
            > > > streets that go off it around the Cathedral.
            > > >
            > > > Likely the state theatre will be on with marvelous
            > > > musical programs and opera. There are some fun
            > > pubs
            > > > and places to go and likely a local music scene.
            > > >
            > > > you might try some web sites for Kosice and the
            > > Info
            > > > Center is really super for what is going on.
            > > >
            > > > have a ball - we want to hear all about it!

          • Cathie McAdams
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 26 2:37 AM
              Good morning.I bought a beautiful water color of Spissky Hrad with the village from Ebay 2 years ago. It was hand-painted, not a print. 'J Gregor' was the artist. I haven't been on Ebay for awhile and do not know his Ebay name. If I come across it again, I will let you know.

              'Women who behave seldom make history.'

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Ask about any concerts or special events while you
              > > are
              > > > there. And night life - sometimes there are
              > > specials
              > > > for students - many students here with the
              > > > universities in Kosice.
              > > >
              > > > You can taste absinthe there in some cafes. I
              > > enjoy
              > > > the antique shops and the wonderful book and map
              > > > stores - good to stroll the main square and also
              > > the
              > > > streets that go off it around the Cathedral.
              > > >
              > > > Likely the state theatre will be on with marvelous
              > > > musical programs and opera. There are some fun
              > > pubs
              > > > and places to go and likely a local music scene.
              > > >
              > > > you might try some web sites for Kosice and the
              > > Info
              > > > Center is really super for what is going on.
              > > >
              > > > have a ball - we want to hear all about it!

            • ssultonia
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 27 9:18 AM
                Cathie,
                Thanks. I didn't think to look on e-Bay. If I can't find what I am
                looking for in Slovakia I will certainly give that a try.
                R/Bill

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Cathie McAdams <ab8gv@...> wrote:

                > Good morning.I bought a beautiful water color of Spissky Hrad with
                the village from Ebay 2 years ago. It was hand-painted, not a print.
                'J Gregor' was the artist. I haven't been on Ebay for awhile and do
                not know his Ebay name. If I come across it again, I will let you know.

                > 'Women who behave seldom make history.'

              • J Michutka
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 27 12:08 PM
                  From a post of mine last year, re: a folk arts store in Kosice:

                  "For those who are interested, you can file this in your "next trip to
                  Slovakia" folder, under "Kosice": the folk arts store I mentioned a
                  couple of days ago is at Hrnciarska 15, which is a couple of blocks
                  east of Hlavna Ulica. Oddly enough, I did not have the name of the
                  shop in my notes!"

                  I'll "ditto" someone else's (Helene's?) suggestion to ask at your
                  hotel for places to buy folk art--that's how I found the place on
                  Hrnciarska in 2006.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 27 12:41 PM
                    When I was in Kosice in 2005, there was a blacksmith's shop that sold all kinds of hand-made items, ranging from pricey to a few dollars (nice little souvenirs). Looking at a map of downtown Kosice, I believe that I started at St. Elizabeth's and went east on Mlynska, then turned left onto Kovac~ska. It was down "a block or two", on the right side.

                    >>> J Michutka <jmm@...> 02/27/08 3:08 PM >>>
                    From a post of mine last year, re: a folk arts store in Kosice:

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 27 1:02 PM
                      > at Hrnciarska 15, which is a couple of blocks
                      > east of Hlavna Ulica.

                      Kosice has zoned Hrnciarska (Potters' St.) as a commercial street
                      designated for traditional craft shops:

                      http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm

                      The one at #15 is listed as "Umelecky kovac Cyril Horak" (Artist
                      Blacksmith): cyril.horak "at" stonline "dot" sk

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 27 1:10 PM
                        Ah, yes! That's him, Pan Horak, the blacksmith. Are you sure it's not Kovacska though? I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 27 1:13 PM
                          Thank you Martin; I kind of had that info, but thought it was the
                          name of the artist being showcased when I was there, and didn't
                          realize it was the name of the shop/owner.

                          The shop has a variety of crafts/arts, not just blacksmith-y stuff.
                          Definitely worth a visit!

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...

                          On Feb 27, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

                          >> at Hrnciarska 15, which is a couple of blocks
                          >> east of Hlavna Ulica.
                          >
                          > Kosice has zoned Hrnciarska (Potters' St.) as a commercial street
                          > designated for traditional craft shops:
                          >
                          > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm
                          >
                          > The one at #15 is listed as "Umelecky kovac Cyril Horak" (Artist
                          > Blacksmith): cyril.horak "at" stonline "dot" sk
                          >

                          > Martin
                          >
                          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                        • maxine
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                            Speaking of "traditional items", when I was in the Carp. Mountains, they all served soup in a beautiful big bowl, I guess it was designed especially for soup. Does anyone know where I may purchase one? They servred soup twice a day. maxine sasala

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                              > Are you sure it's not Kovacska though?
                              > I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.

                              With Julie's record, the evidence at the link I'd posted:

                              > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm

                              ... several sites that give the store's address as "Hrnciarska 15,"
                              supported by Hrnciarska showing up on a map:

                              http://tinyurl.com/32qyat

                              ... with a grayed-out area marking a walking (shopping) precinct, I
                              don't see anything that should throw Julie's record in doubt.

                              > but thought it was the name of the artist being showcased

                              I agree, Julie, quite an uninventive name. I couldn't believe it at
                              first, either, but then I did find a record of him registering the
                              store under that name there sometime in the late 1990s.

                              Martin

                              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                            • Lil Junas
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                Just to throw in another comment about this unique ulica --one of my
                                favorites areas of Kosice!
                                On one of my month-long media study trips to Slovakia with students from
                                Wartburg College, one of my students (an art major) would walk to Hrnciarska
                                Ulica at 6 a.m. every day we were in Kosice to sketch scenes of that street.
                                I now have a 11x14" wood block print that she made from one of her sketches
                                (a scene including the church tower) hanging on the wall of my travel room.

                                Lil

                                On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

                                > > Are you sure it's not Kovacska though?
                                > > I don't see a Hrnciarska on the map.
                                >
                                > With Julie's record, the evidence at the link I'd posted:
                                >
                                > > http://147.232.145.11/kultura/hrnciar/hrnciar.htm
                                >
                                > ... several sites that give the store's address as "Hrnciarska 15,"
                                > supported by Hrnciarska showing up on a map:
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/32qyat
                                >
                                > ... with a grayed-out area marking a walking (shopping) precinct, I
                                > don't see anything that should throw Julie's record in doubt.
                                >

                                > > but thought it was the name of the artist being showcased
                                >
                                > I agree, Julie, quite an uninventive name. I couldn't believe it at
                                > first, either, but then I did find a record of him registering the
                                > store under that name there sometime in the late 1990s.
                                >

                                > Martin
                                >
                                > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                                "To be nobody but myself."
                                www.ljunas.com

                              • Armata, Joseph R
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 10, 2008
                                  I just got this from a friend.

                                  Joe

                                  ****

                                  The Pittsburgh-based Carpatho-Rusyn Society is sponsoring a Lemko-Rusyn Language Study Abroad trip to the Lemko region of southeastern Poland from 10 to 27 July. Registration is underway now, and since only 15 people can take part, act now if you're interested.

                                  This first-ever Rusyn-language learning program for foreigners in Europe is being held in Gorlice, Poland, at the historic Ruska Bursa building. Classes are held there regularly for locals, but this is the first time instruction will be geared towards English speakers.

                                  The cost is estimated at $2800, which includes round-trip airfare from Newark to Krakow, transportation between Krakow and Gorlice, hotels, most meals, all materials including take-home learning materials on CD, as well as participation in the annual Lemko Vatra festival in Zdynia.

                                  If interested, send an email to lemkotour@... as soon as possible.
                                • Armata, Joseph R
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review had an article on the Dukla Pass yesterday; here's an online link with Slovak World's own Bill Tarkulich:

                                    http://tinyurl.com/5cp7be

                                    Joe
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                                      Thanks, Joe.

                                      Is Bill thinking of leading a tour of the area in the near future?  I would love to attend.

                                      Chuck