Re: [Slovak-World] Definition of "shumny"

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2008
      My family comes from SE of Kosice. For us, <s~umny> meant nice or pretty, while <krasny> meant beautiful. Then again, there was <paradny>, which also meant pretty, but with the connotation of "fanciness" as well. This weekend, when I looked at the family tree I had to make for my HS biology class (for the genetics segment), I saw that one of my great-grandfathers had the nickname <paradny>. I guess he liked to dress well...or as well as a poor peasant could.

      >>> William F Brna <wfbrna@...> 02/11/08 3:12 PM >>>
      The word is "s~umny" and means beautiful. This was the common term for
      beautiful in our house. My parents came from Orava, near the Slovak
      Polish border and it's possible that there was some Polish influence in
      using the term. We also used "krasny". In fact, my mother was born in
      Krasna Horka, which is now partof Tvrdos~in.

      Bill Brna

      On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 06:19:00 -0000 "Sinbad Schwartz"
      <sandman6294@...> writes:
      I'm trying to find the definition of the word "shumny" or "shumni"
      (spelled phonetically). As I recall from childhood the word was used
      to describe something that was attractive or pretty. My parents spoke
      Rusyn and were from the Bardejov area. Krasny or prekrasny was the
      more common term used to describe something beautiful or attractive.

      I can't find it in Magocsi's, "Let's Speak Rusyn..." or my Slovak
      dictionary. It might be Ukrainian or Polish because of the area of
      Slovakia that they were from. Thanks.

      RU

    • Sinbad Schwartz
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2008
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > > You cant find it in the dictionary.
        >
        > Not true. It is in Slovnik slovenskeho jazyka IV, page 471, published
        > by the Slovak Linguistic Institute.
        >

        > Martin

        Thanks to all for the definition of the term "s^umny", and to Martin
        for its derivation and the reference.

        RU