Refused Visa

  • David
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      Dear Dave,

      I hope you recovered good from the hip replacement. You surely know USA
      has new ambassador in our country. The ambassador was born in east Slovakia
      who speaks Slovak, but the previous one was from east Slovakia as well
      (Jewish origin). Czech will have visa free regime with your country because
      their refused visa amount is under 10%. My well known lady and her daughter
      wanted to participate on wedding of their other daughter in US. They did not
      receive visa they and me as well do not know why they were refused to visit
      USA at this occasion.

      I hope all is well with you and best wishes from Slovakia
      Rastislav

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2008
        > the previous one was from east Slovakia as well (Jewish origin).

        I wonder whether the author of the e-mail you posted, Dave, has more
        information. I don't know whether the previous US Ambassador to
        Slovakia, Rodolphe Vallee (2004-2007), is Jewish. The one before him,
        Ronal Weiser (2001-2004) is, but neither of the two was born in
        Slovakia. Weiser has recently donated $250,000 to support scholarly
        exchange between the U. of Michigan and Slovakia, and the report said
        that he'd learned to love the country while he was the ambassador --
        not a word about any ancestral ties. While reports have been
        commenting on the current Ambassador Vincent Obsitnik's Slovak roots,
        I'm not aware of any report saying the same about Weiser or Vallee.
        I'd be interested to know.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • David
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2008
          Martin: That was the only message he sent to me lately. By some of his past messages, it sounded like he isn't into politics too much. The messages are sent (I think) on a business computer where he works. Nice guy and our interests are basically on fruit trees. He is also big on experimenting with all kind of varieties of Hardy Kiwi plants. Quite a few years ago, I sent him a variety of Hardy Kiwi plants that I grew. The plant permits were a little difficult to say the least. I remember when the federal plant inspector came to my place, I asked him about a certain plant disease that Slovak plant inspectors didn't want on any plants. The U.S. plant inspector didn't have the faintest idea what the disease was. My plants were sent bare root, arrived in good shape and are happily growing in Slovakia.
          Dave Kuchta