Jan Beliansky dies

  • smontko
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
      Go with God

      JAN "JOHN" BELIANSKY, 85. Devoted son of Jan and Magdalena (both
      deceased); dearest friend of Michael (Veronica) Kovacocy, Karolina,
      Marian and Emily Altmann. He entered into rest Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008. He
      was the publisher of "The Unconquerable Slovaks" and editor of Slovak
      Part of First Catholic Slovak Union Newspaper, President of Slovak
      Research Institute in Lakewood, and member of all Slovak fraternal
      organizations. Memorial Mass will be celebrated Saturday, Feb. 9, 2008,
      12 noon at Ss. Cyril and Methodius Church, 12608 Madison Ave.,
      Lakewood. JOSEPH MISENCIK FUNERAL HOME, LAKEWOOD, IS HANDLING
      ARRANGEMENTS.
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
        > JAN "JOHN" BELIANSKY, 85.

        Let me note that Jan Beliansky was among those in the Slovak-American
        community who were instrumental supporters in the 1980s of our
        department's plan to set up the Slovak Studies Program at the
        University of Pittsburgh. His efforts helped to give the teaching of
        Slovak culture, heritage, and language the first permanent place in US
        academia. His contribution to Slovak-American life will remain with
        us for a long time.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu