Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
      > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
      > at St. Clement's in Rome.

      Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
      celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
      to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
      March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
      Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Edward T. Surkosky
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
        The sources in my possession are:

        1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
        School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
        short biography.

        1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

        When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

        Ed Surkosky

        >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
        >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
        >
        > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
        > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
        > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
        > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
        > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
          > 1952 Marian Missal
          >
          > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

          Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
          that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Edward T. Surkosky
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
            I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
            subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

            Ed Surkosky