Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Edward T. Surkosky
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
      There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
      Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
      brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
      Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
      since.

      Ed Surkosky
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
        > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
        > at St. Clement's in Rome.

        Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
        celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
        to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
        March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
        Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Edward T. Surkosky
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
          The sources in my possession are:

          1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
          School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
          short biography.

          1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

          When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

          Ed Surkosky

          >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
          >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
          >
          > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
          > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
          > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
          > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
          > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
          >

          > Martin
          >
          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
            > 1952 Marian Missal
            >
            > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

            Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
            that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Edward T. Surkosky
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
              I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
              subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

              Ed Surkosky