Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
      > the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
      > to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire
      > to be "Father of the Slavs".

      That's a good point, Ed. On the one hand, I did find C&M listed
      together for March 9 in the Roman Martyrology from 1627, so while the
      holiday was dormant, it was not completely reinvented in the 19th
      century as some discussions of that period seem to imply -- "In
      Morauia of the holy Saints Cyrillus and Methodius Bishops, who
      couerted to the fayth of Christ many Countreyes, togeather with their
      Kinges, in those parts."

      The holiday was not mentioned, however, in the Missals for the Prague
      and Olomouc Dioceses from around 1500, an indication that their
      celebrations by the Roman Catholic Church in the Habsburg monarchy
      really started under pressure from the Slavic ethnic activists,
      especially the Croats and Czechs, and under the Catholic hierarchy's
      disquiet at the anti-Habsburg-Vatican stance of many of the Czech
      activists, mostly from Roman Catholic families themselves, who
      reinvented the cult of Jan Hus as a means to that end.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Edward T. Surkosky
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
        There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
        Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
        brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
        Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
        since.

        Ed Surkosky
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
          > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
          > at St. Clement's in Rome.

          Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
          celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
          to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
          March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
          Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Edward T. Surkosky
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
            The sources in my possession are:

            1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
            School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
            short biography.

            1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

            When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

            Ed Surkosky

            >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
            >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
            >
            > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
            > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
            > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
            > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
            > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
            >

            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
              > 1952 Marian Missal
              >
              > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

              Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
              that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Edward T. Surkosky
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
                subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

                Ed Surkosky