Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Edward T. Surkosky
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
      It might be noted that the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
      to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire to be "Father of
      the Slavs". Remeber this happened after 1848.

      Ed Surkosky
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
        > the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
        > to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire
        > to be "Father of the Slavs".

        That's a good point, Ed. On the one hand, I did find C&M listed
        together for March 9 in the Roman Martyrology from 1627, so while the
        holiday was dormant, it was not completely reinvented in the 19th
        century as some discussions of that period seem to imply -- "In
        Morauia of the holy Saints Cyrillus and Methodius Bishops, who
        couerted to the fayth of Christ many Countreyes, togeather with their
        Kinges, in those parts."

        The holiday was not mentioned, however, in the Missals for the Prague
        and Olomouc Dioceses from around 1500, an indication that their
        celebrations by the Roman Catholic Church in the Habsburg monarchy
        really started under pressure from the Slavic ethnic activists,
        especially the Croats and Czechs, and under the Catholic hierarchy's
        disquiet at the anti-Habsburg-Vatican stance of many of the Czech
        activists, mostly from Roman Catholic families themselves, who
        reinvented the cult of Jan Hus as a means to that end.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Edward T. Surkosky
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
          There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
          Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
          brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
          Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
          since.

          Ed Surkosky
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
            > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
            > at St. Clement's in Rome.

            Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
            celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
            to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
            March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
            Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Edward T. Surkosky
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
              The sources in my possession are:

              1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
              School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
              short biography.

              1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

              When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

              Ed Surkosky

              >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
              >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
              >
              > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
              > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
              > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
              > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
              > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                > 1952 Marian Missal
                >
                > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

                Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
                that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              • Edward T. Surkosky
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                  I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
                  subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

                  Ed Surkosky