Re: [Slovak-World] Re: [S-R] Name Change

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      "BR" is unpronounceable?? What about BRead, BReathe, BReed, BRown?

      Perhaps the teacher meant that the BRN combination was hard to pronouce. As
      my late mother used to say "some people's tongues just can't do the Slovak
      or Polish consonent combinations".

      MARIANNE

      On Feb 4, 2008 3:54 AM, William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:

      > Seriously, there were many reasons for a name change. One of my cousins
      > was told by his grade school teacher that '"BR" was an unpronounceable
      > combination in English, so my uncle had his name changed legally to
      > "Berna". Obviously, the teacher had never used "Brrrr" when it was cold.
      > In fact, one of my distant relatives , when confronted about the
      > pronunciation of the name would ask the person what he said when it was
      > cold., then add "na",
      >
      > Bill Brna

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
        > just can't do the Slovak or Polish consonent combinations".

        Actually, the Poles cannot pronounce _Brno_. The city is called
        _Berno_ in Polish (or _Berno Morawskie to distinguish it from Bern in
        Switzerland that's also called _Berno_ in Polish).

        Martin

        votruba 'at" pitt "dot" edu