Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Edward T. Surkosky
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4 2:48 AM
      Prior to the revision of the Roman Calendar the feast of SS. Cyril &
      Methodius was celebrated on July 7th in the Universal Roman Church. In the
      'then' Czechoslovakia it was celebrated on July 5th so it would be
      celebrated before the holiday for Jan Hus on July 6th. When Paul VI revised
      the Roman Calendar the feast was transferred to February 14th for the
      universal church. Feasts of local importance could be, by indult, set up by
      National Bishops Conferences. This is apparently what is being done in
      Slovakia and the Czech Republic by retaining the feast on July 5th.

      Ed Surkosky
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4 9:53 AM
        July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
        communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
        the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.

        The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
        July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
        in Great Moravia in 863).

        Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
        counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
        activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
        contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
        festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
        and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
        during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.

        The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
        Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.

        Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:

        http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp

        This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
        mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
        Latin original says _Slavi_).

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Edward T. Surkosky
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4 8:47 PM
          I didn't mean to imply that it started after 1918. I was referring to its
          existence prior to the current Czech Republic and Slovakia. I was aware of
          the Roman Church's revival of SSC&M by Pius IX Leo XIII's encyclical. I
          didn't realize I had to be that specific. Sorry.

          Ed Surkosky

          > July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
          > communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
          > the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.
          >
          > The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
          > July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
          > in Great Moravia in 863).
          >
          > Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
          > counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
          > activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
          > contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
          > festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
          > and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
          > during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.
          >
          > The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
          > Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.
          >
          > Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp
          >
          > This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
          > mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
          > Latin original says _Slavi_).
          >

          > Martin
          >
          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Edward T. Surkosky
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4 8:54 PM
            It might be noted that the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
            to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire to be "Father of
            the Slavs". Remeber this happened after 1848.

            Ed Surkosky
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4 11:46 PM
              > the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
              > to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire
              > to be "Father of the Slavs".

              That's a good point, Ed. On the one hand, I did find C&M listed
              together for March 9 in the Roman Martyrology from 1627, so while the
              holiday was dormant, it was not completely reinvented in the 19th
              century as some discussions of that period seem to imply -- "In
              Morauia of the holy Saints Cyrillus and Methodius Bishops, who
              couerted to the fayth of Christ many Countreyes, togeather with their
              Kinges, in those parts."

              The holiday was not mentioned, however, in the Missals for the Prague
              and Olomouc Dioceses from around 1500, an indication that their
              celebrations by the Roman Catholic Church in the Habsburg monarchy
              really started under pressure from the Slavic ethnic activists,
              especially the Croats and Czechs, and under the Catholic hierarchy's
              disquiet at the anti-Habsburg-Vatican stance of many of the Czech
              activists, mostly from Roman Catholic families themselves, who
              reinvented the cult of Jan Hus as a means to that end.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Edward T. Surkosky
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 5 12:01 AM
                There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
                Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
                brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
                Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
                since.

                Ed Surkosky
              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 5 8:18 AM
                  > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                  > at St. Clement's in Rome.

                  Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                  celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                  to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                  March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                  Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Edward T. Surkosky
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 5 10:58 PM
                    The sources in my possession are:

                    1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
                    School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
                    short biography.

                    1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

                    When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

                    Ed Surkosky

                    >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                    >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
                    >
                    > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                    > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                    > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                    > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                    > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
                    >

                    > Martin
                    >
                    > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Martin Votruba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 6 7:47 AM
                      > 1952 Marian Missal
                      >
                      > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

                      Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
                      that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    • Edward T. Surkosky
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 6 8:57 PM
                        I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
                        subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

                        Ed Surkosky