Re: Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
      Saint Valentine (also Valentinus) refers to one of several
      martyred saints of ancient Rome.

      The feast of St. Valentine was first decreed by the Catholic
      Church in 496 by Pope Gelasius I.

      The feast of Saint Valentine was formerly celebrated on
      February 14 by the Roman Catholic Church until 1969 when what
      were considered to be legendary saints were removed from the
      formal Roman Catholic calendar.

      The Orthodox Church celebrates the Feast of Valentine but on
      July 30.

      Greg

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sabol" <marksabol2@...> wrote:

      > What you remember is the way it used to be. Cyril & Methodius' day
      on the church calendar was changed about 40 years ago, at the same
      time St. Christopher was removed, I think.

      Day is
      > > a national holiday on July 5 in Slovakia:
      > >
      > > http://www.calendar.sk/ <http://www.calendar.sk/>
      > >
      > > Martin
      > >
      > > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

    • Edward T. Surkosky
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
        Prior to the revision of the Roman Calendar the feast of SS. Cyril &
        Methodius was celebrated on July 7th in the Universal Roman Church. In the
        'then' Czechoslovakia it was celebrated on July 5th so it would be
        celebrated before the holiday for Jan Hus on July 6th. When Paul VI revised
        the Roman Calendar the feast was transferred to February 14th for the
        universal church. Feasts of local importance could be, by indult, set up by
        National Bishops Conferences. This is apparently what is being done in
        Slovakia and the Czech Republic by retaining the feast on July 5th.

        Ed Surkosky
      • Gerald J. Sabo
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
          Feb. 14th is the official feastday of Cyril and Methodius in the Catholic Church outside Slovakia; on Feb. 14, 869 Cyril, formerly Constantine before becoming a monk, died in Rome on that day.
          In Slovakia during Communist times that date was changed for several reasons to July 5th--better weather so that processions could take place, and it preceded the celebration of Jan Hus day on July 6th celebrated especially in the Czech area, but a national holiday in the former Czecho-Slovakia. This was what I was told in Communist times when I asked why this feastday everywhere else in the Catholic world was Feb. 14th but in Slovakia was on July 5th.
          Jerry Sabo

          > What you remember is the way it used to be. Cyril &
          > Methodius' day on the church calendar was changed
          > about 40 years ago, at the same time St. Christopher
          > was removed, I think.

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
            July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
            communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
            the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.

            The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
            July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
            in Great Moravia in 863).

            Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
            counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
            activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
            contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
            festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
            and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
            during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.

            The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
            Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.

            Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:

            http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp

            This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
            mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
            Latin original says _Slavi_).

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Edward T. Surkosky
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
              I didn't mean to imply that it started after 1918. I was referring to its
              existence prior to the current Czech Republic and Slovakia. I was aware of
              the Roman Church's revival of SSC&M by Pius IX Leo XIII's encyclical. I
              didn't realize I had to be that specific. Sorry.

              Ed Surkosky

              > July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
              > communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
              > the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.
              >
              > The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
              > July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
              > in Great Moravia in 863).
              >
              > Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
              > counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
              > activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
              > contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
              > festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
              > and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
              > during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.
              >
              > The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
              > Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.
              >
              > Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp
              >
              > This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
              > mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
              > Latin original says _Slavi_).
              >

              > Martin
              >
              > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Edward T. Surkosky
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                It might be noted that the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
                to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire to be "Father of
                the Slavs". Remeber this happened after 1848.

                Ed Surkosky
              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                  > the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
                  > to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire
                  > to be "Father of the Slavs".

                  That's a good point, Ed. On the one hand, I did find C&M listed
                  together for March 9 in the Roman Martyrology from 1627, so while the
                  holiday was dormant, it was not completely reinvented in the 19th
                  century as some discussions of that period seem to imply -- "In
                  Morauia of the holy Saints Cyrillus and Methodius Bishops, who
                  couerted to the fayth of Christ many Countreyes, togeather with their
                  Kinges, in those parts."

                  The holiday was not mentioned, however, in the Missals for the Prague
                  and Olomouc Dioceses from around 1500, an indication that their
                  celebrations by the Roman Catholic Church in the Habsburg monarchy
                  really started under pressure from the Slavic ethnic activists,
                  especially the Croats and Czechs, and under the Catholic hierarchy's
                  disquiet at the anti-Habsburg-Vatican stance of many of the Czech
                  activists, mostly from Roman Catholic families themselves, who
                  reinvented the cult of Jan Hus as a means to that end.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Edward T. Surkosky
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                    There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
                    Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
                    brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
                    Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
                    since.

                    Ed Surkosky
                  • Martin Votruba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                      > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                      > at St. Clement's in Rome.

                      Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                      celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                      to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                      March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                      Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    • Edward T. Surkosky
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                        The sources in my possession are:

                        1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
                        School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
                        short biography.

                        1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

                        When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

                        Ed Surkosky

                        >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                        >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
                        >
                        > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                        > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                        > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                        > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                        > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
                        >

                        > Martin
                        >
                        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                          > 1952 Marian Missal
                          >
                          > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

                          Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
                          that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • Edward T. Surkosky
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                            I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
                            subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

                            Ed Surkosky