Re: [Slovak-World] Eastern European Saint Valentine's Day Windows Wallpaper

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
      Greg
      Feb 14, St Valentines day in this country is in Slovakia the feast day
      of Cyril and Methodius and
      on that day that I chose to fly my Slovak flag out front for the
      neighbors to see... And
      of course Jan 1 is, I believe, Slovakia's independence day and also a
      day that I
      chose to display the Slovak Flag... But I love the picture and have
      shared it with members
      of my family and friends..

      Regards Andy V.

      Gregory J Kopchak wrote:

      > This month's Wallpaper of the Month at It's All Relative
      > features Carpathian Lovers in the hay.
      >
      > >From a 1920's hand colored post card.
      >
      > Not risque and guaranteed to get Valentine's Day attention.
      >
      > http://www.iarelative.com/history/lovers.htm
      > <http://www.iarelative.com/history/lovers.htm>
      >
      > Greg Kopchak

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
        > Feb 14, St Valentines day in this country is in Slovakia
        > the feast day of Cyril and Methodius

        Feb. 14 is "Valentine's" in Slovakia. Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day is
        a national holiday on July 5 in Slovakia:

        http://www.calendar.sk/

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Andy Verostko
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
          Martin.... You are right and I am unable to understand why I
          misremembered it

          andy v.......

          \

          > he feast day of Cyril and Methodius
          >
          > Feb. 14 is "Valentine's" in Slovakia. Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day is
          > a national holiday on July 5 in Slovakia:
          >
          > http://www.calendar.sk/ <http://www.calendar.sk/>
          >
          > Martin
          >
          > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        • Mark Sabol
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
            What you remember is the way it used to be. Cyril & Methodius' day on the church calendar was changed about 40 years ago, at the same time St. Christopher was removed, I think.

            Martin Votruba wrote:

            > > Feb 14, St Valentines day in this country is in Slovakia

            \

            > he feast day of Cyril and Methodius
            >
            > Feb. 14 is "Valentine's" in Slovakia. Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day is
            > a national holiday on July 5 in Slovakia:
            >
            > http://www.calendar.sk/ <http://www.calendar.sk/>
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
              Saint Valentine (also Valentinus) refers to one of several
              martyred saints of ancient Rome.

              The feast of St. Valentine was first decreed by the Catholic
              Church in 496 by Pope Gelasius I.

              The feast of Saint Valentine was formerly celebrated on
              February 14 by the Roman Catholic Church until 1969 when what
              were considered to be legendary saints were removed from the
              formal Roman Catholic calendar.

              The Orthodox Church celebrates the Feast of Valentine but on
              July 30.

              Greg

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sabol" <marksabol2@...> wrote:

              > What you remember is the way it used to be. Cyril & Methodius' day
              on the church calendar was changed about 40 years ago, at the same
              time St. Christopher was removed, I think.

            • Edward T. Surkosky
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                Prior to the revision of the Roman Calendar the feast of SS. Cyril &
                Methodius was celebrated on July 7th in the Universal Roman Church. In the
                'then' Czechoslovakia it was celebrated on July 5th so it would be
                celebrated before the holiday for Jan Hus on July 6th. When Paul VI revised
                the Roman Calendar the feast was transferred to February 14th for the
                universal church. Feasts of local importance could be, by indult, set up by
                National Bishops Conferences. This is apparently what is being done in
                Slovakia and the Czech Republic by retaining the feast on July 5th.

                Ed Surkosky
              • Gerald J. Sabo
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Feb. 14th is the official feastday of Cyril and Methodius in the Catholic Church outside Slovakia; on Feb. 14, 869 Cyril, formerly Constantine before becoming a monk, died in Rome on that day.
                  In Slovakia during Communist times that date was changed for several reasons to July 5th--better weather so that processions could take place, and it preceded the celebration of Jan Hus day on July 6th celebrated especially in the Czech area, but a national holiday in the former Czecho-Slovakia. This was what I was told in Communist times when I asked why this feastday everywhere else in the Catholic world was Feb. 14th but in Slovakia was on July 5th.
                  Jerry Sabo

                  > What you remember is the way it used to be. Cyril &
                  > Methodius' day on the church calendar was changed
                  > about 40 years ago, at the same time St. Christopher
                  > was removed, I think.

                • Martin Votruba
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                    July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
                    communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
                    the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.

                    The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
                    July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
                    in Great Moravia in 863).

                    Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
                    counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
                    activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
                    contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
                    festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
                    and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
                    during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.

                    The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
                    Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.

                    Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:

                    http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp

                    This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
                    mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
                    Latin original says _Slavi_).

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                  • Edward T. Surkosky
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                      I didn't mean to imply that it started after 1918. I was referring to its
                      existence prior to the current Czech Republic and Slovakia. I was aware of
                      the Roman Church's revival of SSC&M by Pius IX Leo XIII's encyclical. I
                      didn't realize I had to be that specific. Sorry.

                      Ed Surkosky

                      > July 5 as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day started neither with the
                      > communists (who celebrated neither C&M Day, nor Jan Hus Day) nor with
                      > the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in 1918.
                      >
                      > The Archbishop of Olomouc (Moravia) requested the shift from March to
                      > July before the millennial celebrations of C&M in 1863 (they arrived
                      > in Great Moravia in 863).
                      >
                      > Although it was likely that he chose the date so close to Hus Day to
                      > counterbalance Hus's growing cult fostered by the Czech ethnic
                      > activists, the explicit reason the Archbishop's appeal to Pope Pius IX
                      > contained was that people could not travel to the planned massive
                      > festivities as easily, and therefore not in large numbers, in the cold
                      > and muddy season. An additional practical reason was that C&M Day was
                      > during the lent and therefore not suitable for a joyful festival.
                      >
                      > The Vatican granted the shift to the Margraviate of Moravia and the
                      > Kingdoms of Bohemia and Croatia for the 1863 festivities.
                      >
                      > Leo XIII then issued the Vatican's definitive decree on this in 1880:
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/36uzpp
                      >
                      > This Vatican-provided English translation of the Papal encyclical
                      > mistranslates one word: whenever it says "Slovenia," read _Slavs_ (the
                      > Latin original says _Slavi_).
                      >

                      > Martin
                      >
                      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Edward T. Surkosky
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                        It might be noted that the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
                        to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire to be "Father of
                        the Slavs". Remeber this happened after 1848.

                        Ed Surkosky
                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                          > the Roman Church's interest in SSC&M was probalby due
                          > to the rise in Pan Slavism and the Russian Czar's desire
                          > to be "Father of the Slavs".

                          That's a good point, Ed. On the one hand, I did find C&M listed
                          together for March 9 in the Roman Martyrology from 1627, so while the
                          holiday was dormant, it was not completely reinvented in the 19th
                          century as some discussions of that period seem to imply -- "In
                          Morauia of the holy Saints Cyrillus and Methodius Bishops, who
                          couerted to the fayth of Christ many Countreyes, togeather with their
                          Kinges, in those parts."

                          The holiday was not mentioned, however, in the Missals for the Prague
                          and Olomouc Dioceses from around 1500, an indication that their
                          celebrations by the Roman Catholic Church in the Habsburg monarchy
                          really started under pressure from the Slavic ethnic activists,
                          especially the Croats and Czechs, and under the Catholic hierarchy's
                          disquiet at the anti-Habsburg-Vatican stance of many of the Czech
                          activists, mostly from Roman Catholic families themselves, who
                          reinvented the cult of Jan Hus as a means to that end.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • Edward T. Surkosky
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                            There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb at St.
                            Clement's in Rome. At least we know where he is, but not his long lost
                            brother. About 30 yrs. ago there were several articles in the L'Osservatore
                            Romano about the search for St. Methodius' tomb. I haven't read anything
                            since.

                            Ed Surkosky
                          • Martin Votruba
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                              > There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                              > at St. Clement's in Rome.

                              Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                              celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                              to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                              March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                              Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.

                              Martin

                              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                            • Edward T. Surkosky
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                                The sources in my possession are:

                                1952 Marian Missal, I purchased this in 5th grade at SS.C.&M. Parochial
                                School, has the date July 7th and contains the readings for that feast and a
                                short biography.

                                1941 National Catholic Almanac, calendar lists list July 7th SSC&M, bps.

                                When it was moved from July 5th to July 7th I don't know.

                                Ed Surkosky

                                >> There has been a long standing devotion to St. Cyril at his tomb
                                >> at St. Clement's in Rome.
                                >
                                > Thank you for the reminder, Ed. You mentioned July 7 as the day of
                                > celebration in the past. Could you add some details, please, when and
                                > to whom/where that date applied? I only know of it being moved from
                                > March 9 to July 5 (approved in 1863-1880) for the sake of the Croats,
                                > Czechs, and eventually Slovaks.
                                >

                                > Martin
                                >
                                > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Martin Votruba
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                                  > 1952 Marian Missal
                                  >
                                  > 1941 National Catholic Almanac

                                  Thank you Ed. It's useful to have that information. It's interesting
                                  that they used a different date from what the Pope decreed in 1880.

                                  Martin

                                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                • Edward T. Surkosky
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                                    I know. Leo XIII made additional changes after 1880, as did Pius X and
                                    subsequent popes. I was unable to find out who moved it to July 5th.

                                    Ed Surkosky