Still Czechs' favorites

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
      The Slovaks are still the Czechs' most favorite nation and the Czechs'
      attitude to the Americans also remains stable at the level to which it
      dropped following the invasion of Iraq. The Slovaks rank immediately
      after the Czechs in the most recent poll released Thursday, as they
      have in all such annual Czech polls since Slovak and Czech
      independence. Like people in most European countries, the Czechs tend
      to prefer the Western, wealthier nations -- the Slovaks are followed
      by the French, Swedes, and Brits.

      Here is how the Czechs rate some of their nearby nations and those in
      the news on a scale from 10 (best) to 70 (lowest):

      16 Czechs - the highest actual rating
      20 Slovaks
      30 Austrians
      31 Poles
      35 Hungarians
      36 Americans
      37 Germans
      40 Russians
      41 Serbs
      43 Ukrainians
      44 Israelis
      45 Chinese
      47 Turks
      52 Palestinians
      53 Iraqis - the lowest actual rating

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Scott Mikusko
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
        My God, they think more highly of Hungarians than us?!

        Damn you, Bush! Look what you've done to us! :)

        -S

        On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

        > The Slovaks are still the Czechs' most favorite nation and the Czechs'
        > attitude to the Americans also remains stable at the level to which it
        > dropped following the invasion of Iraq. The Slovaks rank immediately
        > after the Czechs in the most recent poll released Thursday, as they
        > have in all such annual Czech polls since Slovak and Czech
        > independence. Like people in most European countries, the Czechs tend
        > to prefer the Western, wealthier nations -- the Slovaks are followed
        > by the French, Swedes, and Brits.
        >
        > Here is how the Czechs rate some of their nearby nations and those in
        > the news on a scale from 10 (best) to 70 (lowest):
        >
        > 16 Czechs - the highest actual rating
        > 20 Slovaks
        > 30 Austrians
        > 31 Poles
        > 35 Hungarians
        > 36 Americans
        > 37 Germans
        > 40 Russians
        > 41 Serbs
        > 43 Ukrainians
        > 44 Israelis
        > 45 Chinese
        > 47 Turks
        > 52 Palestinians
        > 53 Iraqis - the lowest actual rating
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
          > more highly of Hungarians than us?!

          Yes, it was a noticeable slide after the invasion, Scott. The
          Americans were well above the Germans and Hungarians in a comparable
          Czech poll in 2000. As to the Hungarians, the Czechs do not have the
          same history with the Hungarians as the Slovaks. Historically, the
          Czechs' negative focus has been on the Germans. The Czechs acquired
          some of the negativity towards the Hungarians after the creation of
          Czecho-Slovakia, and have been losing that focus since their independence.

          Conversely, the Germans get better ratings from the Slovaks than from
          the Czechs, but there are no truly comparative polls. There's some
          higher antagonism to the Czechs among some Germans, too.
          Interestingly, it translated to the vote by the older members of the
          European Union when Slovakia, the Czech R., and others were joining
          it. The Czech R. got the most votes against it of all the joining
          members, Slovakia the fewest. It was due to the "anti-Czech" votes by
          some German and Austrian conservatives.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
            Yes, the ""It was due to the "anti-Czech" votes by> some German and
            Austrian conservatives."" reflects the political power of the Germans
            driven out of the former Sudetenland. They are quite powerful
            political factions in those countries, and seem to be continuing teh
            power on into the next generation.

            Happily this is a Slovak list so we can avoid the topic! Emotions are
            still quite high. I believe Thomas Reimer contributes to this list
            and has a website on the topic at http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>