Home care/health aid in Bratislava

  • kmerunka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
      My mother is currently living in Bratislava and is taking care of her
      elderly mother (93) by herself. She is trying to find a nurses aid or
      a home health aid that can assist her. My grandmother needs 24 care
      and my mom does not have anyone else to give her a hand and much
      needed break. A nursing home is not even a consideration at this
      point because my grandmother wants to die at home. My mom did contact
      an agency that does this, however they have a tons of requirements
      that make my grandmother not something that they will take easily.
      That being said, does anyone know how she can go about hiring someone
      privately? Would a nursing school maybe have students that want to
      earn extra money? I know here in the states you place an ad like that
      & you get more responses than you need.
      My mom rarely gets to go out - food shopping only or doctor visits.
      If anyone has any links or contacts that I could follow up on, it
      would be greatly appreciated.

      This may not be the appropriate place to post this question, so
      apologies to anyone who may be annoyed by this.

      For those of you living in Bratislava or vicinity and have some
      valuble input or suggestions, I would love to hear it.

      She did place an ad in a local paper and the one women who answered
      was somewhat rude.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
        > This may not be the appropriate place to post this

        I think it's a completely legitimate question to post here, Katka.

        Nurses have traditionally been trained at vocational high schools.
        Schools of nursing at colleges are only beginning to open. Search for:

        "stredna' zdravotna' s~kola" (use the correct letters with diacritics,
        not these symbols or type just "stredna zdravotna skola")

        ... in order to locate a nearby vocational school of nursing where
        your mother might go to ask.

        Search for "zdravotna' sestra" or "os~etrovatel~ka" or "os~etrovatel~"
        (again, use the correct letters with diacritics) to find places to
        post your requests.

        It will probably take quite some effort to find someone. The Slovak
        internet is swarming with posts and ads recruiting nurses for work in
        Austria, Canada, Germany, and other foreign countries with
        substantially higher salaries, so if a nurse is "available," she might
        expect a higher-than-usual compensation should she opt to stay and
        work in Slovakia. Numerous newspaper reports have said there is a
        shortage of nurses in Slovakia, because so many have gone and continue
        to go and work abroad.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt"dot" edu
      • Evonri@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
          In a message dated 1/31/2008 2:12:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          kmerunka@... writes:

          My mother is currently living in Bratislava and is taking care of her
          elderly mother (93) by herself. She is trying to find a nurses aid or
          a home health aid that can assist her. My grandmother needs 24 care
          and my mom does not have anyone else to give her a hand and much
          needed break. A nursing home is not even a consideration at this
          point because my grandmother wants to die at home

          Hi there. I have sent your email along to a cousin of mine who lives in
          Bratislava. She used to work as a hospital nurse; I believe she is about 58
          years old and is "retired", and she is a kind, gentle person and I don't think
          she has a rude bone in her body. I asked her to let me know if she would be
          interested and told her if she was, that I would pass on her email address to
          you.

          Rita