Where is Nove Mesto nad Vahom in Slovakia?

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
      TRW, a big automotive supplies is opening a new manufacturing plant in Slovakia,
      with all the latest technologies including robots, vision recognition systems, CNC
      machining. I'm glad for Slovakia to be getting this economic chance. But, I am
      sad that the 30 year old TRW plant 3 miles from my home has been shut down
      and abandoned. People have put in 10 hour days there for 30 years and now
      have no jobs. Many have lost their homes as our industries have abandoned us
      here in metro Detroit, some have just walked away from their homes. I guess
      another mass migration is underway, some as penniless as their emigrant
      ancestors. I'd leave too if it wasn't for having to take care of my elderly
      father. Two houses on just our end of the block sit empty.

      Wish I had the Slovak language now, even a few years over there
      might be worth the experience back "home" and just be able to work again.

      Claudia
    • Scott Mikusko
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
        Nove Mesto is home to our Vladimir Bohinc.

        It's just up the road from Piestany, and about 10 miles from a couple
        of my and Michelle Mader's ancestral villages.

        Slovakia is becoming the Michigan of European auto manufacturing.
        Enjoy it while it lasts...

        -S

        On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:12 AM, Claudia Medvik wrote:

        > TRW, a big automotive supplies is opening a new manufacturing plant
        > in Slovakia,
        > with all the latest technologies including robots, vision
        > recognition systems, CNC
        > machining. I'm glad for Slovakia to be getting this economic
        > chance. But, I am
        > sad that the 30 year old TRW plant 3 miles from my home has been
        > shut down
        > and abandoned. People have put in 10 hour days there for 30 years
        > and now
        > have no jobs. Many have lost their homes as our industries have
        > abandoned us
        > here in metro Detroit, some have just walked away from their homes.
        > I guess
        > another mass migration is underway, some as penniless as their
        > emigrant
        > ancestors. I'd leave too if it wasn't for having to take care of my
        > elderly
        > father. Two houses on just our end of the block sit empty.
        >
        > Wish I had the Slovak language now, even a few years over there
        > might be worth the experience back "home" and just be able to work
        > again.
        >
        > Claudia

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
          Kimberly Clark had a plant in Piestany and employed
          some 750 people making paper products some for medical
          use. It is moving to China and the people that worked
          there are out of luck. Some are going to the
          automotive parts plant that will be set up in
          Topolcany by an Italian firm.

          helene

          --- Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

          > TRW, a big automotive supplies is opening a new
          > manufacturing plant in Slovakia,
          > with all the latest technologies including robots,
          > vision recognition systems, CNC
          > machining. I'm glad for Slovakia to be getting this
          > economic chance. But, I am
          > sad that the 30 year old TRW plant 3 miles from my
          > home has been shut down
          > and abandoned. People have put in 10 hour days there
          > for 30 years and now
          > have no jobs. Many have lost their homes as our
          > industries have abandoned us
          > here in metro Detroit, some have just walked away
          > from their homes. I guess
          > another mass migration is underway, some as
          > penniless as their emigrant
          > ancestors. I'd leave too if it wasn't for having to
          > take care of my elderly
          > father. Two houses on just our end of the block sit
          > empty.
          >
          > Wish I had the Slovak language now, even a few years
          > over there
          > might be worth the experience back "home" and just
          > be able to work again.
          >
          > Claudia

          > removed]

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
            At 12:35 AM 1/02/2008, you wrote:

            >Nove Mesto is home to our Vladimir Bohinc.

            Nove Mesto nad Vahom is also the birthplace of my father. It used to
            be Neustadt bei Vahom ( I hope) anyway it is German for the same
            thing as Nove Mesto , that is Newtown by the Vahom.

            regards
            Nick
          • Gergely
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
              Helene,
              That's interesting. Do you know when the Kimberly Clark plant in Nova Mesto was started? We lost one here in Newport News about 15 or so years ago. not bashing, just curious.
              Jack Gergely

              Kimberly Clark had a plant in Piestany and employed
              some 750 people making paper products some for medical
              use. It is moving to China and the people that worked
              there are out of luck. Some are going to the
              automotive parts plant that will be set up in
              Topolcany by an Italian firm.

              helene

              --- Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

              > TRW, a big automotive supplies is opening a new
              > manufacturing plant in Slovakia,
              > with all the latest technologies including robots,
              > vision recognition systems, CNC
              > machining. I'm glad for Slovakia to be getting this
              > economic chance. But, I am
              > sad that the 30 year old TRW plant 3 miles from my
              > home has been shut down
              > and abandoned. People have put in 10 hour days there
              > for 30 years and now
              > have no jobs. Many have lost their homes as our
              > industries have abandoned us
              > here in metro Detroit, some have just walked away
              > from their homes. I guess
              > another mass migration is underway, some as
              > penniless as their emigrant
              > ancestors. I'd leave too if it wasn't for having to
              > take care of my elderly
              > father. Two houses on just our end of the block sit
              > empty.
              >
              > Wish I had the Slovak language now, even a few years
              > over there
              > might be worth the experience back "home" and just
              > be able to work again.
              >
              > Claudia

              > removed]

            • Gergely
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
                Opps, belay my previous.
                Our plant actually made zippers, not paper products..
                Jack Gergely