Jewish Vicitms in Villages

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2008
      It is a simple question: What happened to the Jewish citizens in my
      ancestral village?

      I finally tied together two databases people posted on the forums and
      did a little research to see how the Holocaust touched on the village
      of Sulin. For me 6,000,000 is simply too large a number to
      comprehend. I had the same problem with the millions of acres of land
      locked up in Alaska; I never calculated how many times larger than
      Ohio the whole area of restricted land is in this one state. The
      $900,000,000 given to the 30,000 natives in the Land Claims settlement
      act was also just a number to me. 6 million victims? That was once
      the whole population of the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan area –
      still meaningless to me. A whole bunch is all I can comprehend. I am
      not being flippant.

      So when I realized these two these data bases might be used together,
      I figured, why not bring it down to a personal level? I knew there
      were some Jewish people in Sulin, but what happened to these people
      that interacted with my family on a regular basis? That I can
      comprehend. So I searched; a relatively simple search when all is
      said and done.

      Here is the record of a local tragedy.

      Go to
      http://www.upn.gov.sk/likvidacie/english/glossary.php
      and enter ‘search’ for your village of interest.

      I entered ‘Sulin’ and came up with

      name of enterprise object of enterprise
      town (village)

      Bergmannová Betty obchod s mie¹aným tovarom
      Veµký Sulín
      Dávid Bergmann (vdovské právo pre Bettu Bergmannovú) obchod s
      vajcami Veµký Sulín
      Hönig Emanuel obchod s pivom vínom v zatvorených fµa¹iach
      Malý Sulín

      Then I clicked on each for ‘details’
      _ _ _
      Published: Úradné noviny, Èíslo 49., 13. septembra 1941, Strana 1525
      Owner of the enterpise Name of enterprise: Bergmannová Betty
      Object of enterprise: obchod s mie¹aným tovarom
      Street: èíslo 23
      Town (village): Veµký Sulín
      Number of houses (in 1940)*: 114
      Population (in 1940)*: 729
      District: Stará ¥ubovòa
      Nr. of liquidation decree: 49.319-III-3a-41
      _ _ _

      Published: Úradné noviny, Èíslo 62., 15. novembra 1941, Strana 1932
      Name of enterprise: Dávid Bergmann (vdovské právo pre Bettu Bergmannovú)
      Object of enterprise: obchod s vajcami
      Town (village): Veµký Sulín
      Number of houses (in 1940)*: 114
      Population (in 1940)*: 729
      District: Stará ¥ubovòa
      Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.443/III-3c-1941
      _ _ _

      Published: Úradné noviny, Èíslo 67., 20. decembra 1941, Strana 2106
      Name of enterprise: Hönig Emanuel
      Object of enterprise: obchod s pivom vínom v zatvorených fµa¹iach
      Street: Sulinský Prameò
      Town (village): Malý Sulín
      Number of houses (in 1940)*: 49
      Population (in 1940)*: 306
      District: Stará ¥ubovòa
      Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.444/III-3b/1941

      _ _ _

      I then went to the web site http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Holocaust/
      I searched for Sulin … But JewishGen demands membership…

      Then I tried the Shoa Victims Database at
      Thanks to John of jumps 4 toys for the link.
      http://www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/IY_HON_Welcome and came up with

      Bergmann Moric VELKY SULIN SLO C 1908 Deportation list
      Bergmann Moric VELKY SULIN 1908 List of victims from Auschwitz
      Bergmann Heinrich V. SULIN 1895 Deportation list
      Reichmann Regina MALY SULIN 1893 Deportation list
      Bergmann Adolf VELKY SULIN 1905 List of victims from Auschwitz

      This following information is based on a Deportation list found in the
      Slovakia Holocaust Jewish Names Project, Commenius University of
      Bratislava, Dept. of History, Bratislava, unless otherwise noted.
      Moric Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin Slo C in 1908. During the war
      he was deported with Transport from Zilina to Auschwitz on 17/07/1942.
      Moric perished in the Shoah.
      Moric Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin in 1908 to David and Betty nee
      Herzbrunn. During the war he was in Velky Sulin. Moric perished in
      1942 in Auschwitz, Camp. This information is based on a List of
      victims from Auschwitz found in the Auschwitz Death Registers, The
      State Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau page 9373/1942

      Heinrich Bergmann was born in V. Sulin in 1895. During the war he was
      deported with Transport from Spisska nova ves (sic) to Lublin and
      Izbica on 29/05/1942. Heinrich perished in the Shoah.

      Regina Reichmann was born in Maly Sulin in 1893. During the war she
      was deported with Transport from Presov and Lipiani and Sabinov and
      Giraltovce to Rajowiec lubelski on 23/05/1942. Regina perished in the
      Shoah

      Adolf Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin in 1905 to David and Berta nee
      Herzbrunn. He was married to Regina. During the war he was in Gniazda,
      Czechoslovakia. Adolf perished in 1942 in Auschwitz, Camp. This
      information is based on a List of victims from Auschwitz found in the
      Auschwitz Death Registers, The State Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau page
      8361/1942.

      The Auschwitz victims had their language listed as ‘German’, the
      others as ‘Slovak’.

      May they rest in peace.