Re: [Slovak-World] Ancestry.com

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
      I did pretty well on Ancestry.com

      I had the subscription for last year...can't afford to continue right now, but I will check out alternative gates of access as recommended by some others, here eg: libraries, etc.

      I DID have trouble in initial stages of research when accessing Ancestry's site as I was searching by the americanized spelling of my g-parents last name. I would search with the spelling of how they spelled their name, here...as well as use the "sounds like" approach. Nothing ever came up. However, after working with Mick Sura, a researcher from Kosice, after I supplied the village name...he gave me a local spelling [actually two...one Hungarian...one Latinized in the parish church records]. Once, I had this, I was able to find info on my g-father's emigration/immigration in 1899 as well as my g-mother's journey about three years later. I was able to access many records including seeing pics of the boats they came on. No one in our family including my mother [who is now 92] were aware of the name change...however it was my mother's telling of a story...and her memory of the village name that helped open doors.

      Ancestry only stores info...the way we think about info may need to be slightly altered. Or at least, that was my case in searching "Gergely."

      William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:
      Polly,

      You mentioned that there are many Brna family trees posted. If that is
      true, and I am not doubting what you say, it would seem that there is
      something rotten in Ancestry.com, since I was not able to reference any
      Brna family trees, incklluding my own which I added a day or so after
      updating to FTM 2008. It sure is a hell of a way to do business, to
      offer a free trial to virtually nothing!

      Bill Brna