Re:Seeking Feedback: "History of Slovaks in America"

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 18, 2008
      Greetings, I am Michael Kopanic, one of the editors who also went
      over the translation and did some of the notes along with Greg Ferenc.

      I was alerted that the book was being discussed and would be happy to
      answer any questions as best I can.

      The book is not definitive by any means, and Culen meant to work on
      it more later in his life, but he had a difficult time after coming
      to America, and could barely make ends meet after his post-World War
      II exile. He also had wanted to take the story further on.

      But he did talk to many people while doing research in the US and he
      saw some documents, some of which are no longer even available.

      It is still an important starting point for any one trying to get a
      better picture of the pre-World War I immigration of Slovaks to
      America.

      His concentration on Pennsylvania, NY, and Ohio reflects his having
      spent most of his time there, where many Slovaks settled. Migration
      to Michigan picked up once the auto factories got moving, and many
      Slovaks moved there from Pa. and Ohio mining towns, or in search of
      better pay.

      So please, let me know if you have any specific questions.

      Mike Kopanic

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce L. Bauer" <bbauer@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The book is not heavy on pictures and pictures leaders of the
      > > American Slovak organizations dominate, a few of their buildings,
      > > few group photos, a few of documents and letters, 1 page of
      Slovak
      > > Statues in the US (3 pics), 1 page of Slovak Graves (5 pics), 1
      pic
      > > of a radio show hour group, 1 of a typical wedding, a picture of
      > > Chicago, 2 pics of a coal mine in Lansford PA, an exterior and
      > > interior pic of Slovak owned grocery store in Baltimore.
      (certainly