New to the group

  • Russell McCoy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hi to everyone!

      I just joined this group and hope it will be a great place
      to share our Slovak experiences. Anyway, let me tell you a
      little about myself.

      I've been working as a civil servant for the last three
      years and am quite lucky because my job allows me to travel
      and work all over the world. In 2006, I spent five months
      in Presov, Slovakia. Last year, I spent six months in
      Nagoya, Japan and this year, I will be in Djibouti for a
      total of six months. I've been so fortunate to have these
      opportunities.

      But, my heart is in Slovakia. I hope to reminisce a little with
      people who have the same fondness for the country that I do.

      Anyway, if you have any questions about any of these places,
      just ask.

      Russell McCoy
      Djibouti, Africa
      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
    • Caye Caswick

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 11, 2008
          Hi, Russell,
          And welcome to the group. I have relatives in Presov.

          See you later,
          Haidee
          haideec@...

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
            Hi, Caye!

            Thank you so much for your nice comments and thank you for looking
            at my blog. Feel free to add comments on the blog, too! I'll try
            to take another dangerous trip in the Djiboutian wilds and report
            about it later. Did you see my last one? I have pictures of
            baboons crossing the road!!

            Well, back to Slovakia. I am so excited to be a part of this
            forum. For the last year, I have been almost sick thinking about
            Slovakia and all the wonderful times I had there. I've decided to
            retire there in 20 years. I just hope I can afford the rent! As
            you know, joining the EU may make things really expensive.

            About my job, I can't give you specifics. However, I can tell you
            that it involves training.

            Looking forward to hearing from you again.

            Russ McCoy

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
              Thanks, Haidee!

              I feel like I also have relatives in Presov because I have what I
              consider to be a second family there. I was never welcomed so
              warmly in all my life.

              It's 86 degrees at 7pm in the evening here! I wish I were in Presov
              walking down Hlavna Ulice enjoying the snowfall.

              Ahhh, the memories.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Haidee Kupecz <haideec@...>

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
                Hi Russ:

                How cool -- covert ops!

                I'll just make up a scenario that sounds fun in my own head.

                I know what you mean about wanting to retire in SK -- and yes, it will be $$$$ -- but so relaxing and beautiful.

                I look forward to seeing more of your photos soon.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
                  Hey, Caye!

                  Oh! If only it were that exciting. No, my job is very mundane.

                  Yes, the better alternative might be to spend a few months out of
                  every year in Slovakia. Bratislava would be almost impossibly
                  expensive, but the eastern part of the country might be doable. I'm
                  so happy that SK has joined the EU because they have some really
                  good people there that are only looking for an opportunity.

                  Again, thanks for writing.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
                    Russ,
                    Refresh my memory - what is the Hlavna Ulice? My favorite place was the Halasz Bastya (sp?) in Hungary (my dad's side of the family). Mmm, yummy, there was a little place up there where we had the yummiest sweets you can imagine!!! Oh, think warm thoughts for me, and send some of that warmth my way, ok?

                    See you later,
                    Haidee
                    haideec@...

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
                      LOL, hey Russ:

                      Don't spoil my fantasy -- I'd love to believe it is Mata Hari-type stuff!!!

                      I have family in South-Eastern Slovakia -- near both Kosice and Trebisov.

                      Maybe they would let me help them farm/garden in my elder years, I'm hoping so. Just found out today that not only one, but two cousins will be spending the Summer of '08 here in Chicago with me. My (dear departed) grandmother is soooooooo proud!

                      wrote:

                      > Hi Russ:
                      >
                      > How cool -- covert ops!
                      >
                      > I'll just make up a scenario that sounds fun in my own head.
                      >
                      > I know what you mean about wanting to retire in SK -- and yes,
                      it will be $$$$ -- but so relaxing and beautiful.

                      > I look forward to seeing more of your photos soon.
                      >

                      > Caye
                      >

                      > Russell McCoy <mccoy4984@...> wrote:
                      > Hi, Caye!
                      >
                      > Thank you so much for your nice comments and thank you for looking
                      > at my blog. Feel free to add comments on the blog, too! I'll try
                      > to take another dangerous trip in the Djiboutian wilds and report
                      > about it later. Did you see my last one? I have pictures of
                      > baboons crossing the road!!
                      >
                      > Well, back to Slovakia. I am so excited to be a part of this
                      > forum. For the last year, I have been almost sick thinking about
                      > Slovakia and all the wonderful times I had there. I've decided to
                      > retire there in 20 years. I just hope I can afford the rent! As
                      > you know, joining the EU may make things really expensive.
                      >
                      > About my job, I can't give you specifics. However, I can tell you
                      > that it involves training.
                      >
                      > Looking forward to hearing from you again.
                      >
                      > Russ McCoy
                      > Djibouti, Africa
                      > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                      >
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Welcome Russell -- I've just given your blog a quick once-over,
                      > but wow, what a fascinating job you've got -- please tell us a
                      > little more about what you teach.
                      > >
                      > > I look forward to reading your blog more in-depth and
                      > interacting with you, sounds as if you could teach all of us a lot
                      > of practical, interesting things about our globe and it's citizens.
                      > >

                      > > Caye
                      > >

                      > > Russell McCoy <mccoy4984@> wrote:
                      > > Hi to everyone!
                      > >
                      > > I just joined this group and hope it will be a great place
                      > > to share our Slovak experiences. Anyway, let me tell you a
                      > > little about myself.
                      > >
                      > > I've been working as a civil servant for the last three
                      > > years and am quite lucky because my job allows me to travel
                      > > and work all over the world. In 2006, I spent five months
                      > > in Presov, Slovakia. Last year, I spent six months in
                      > > Nagoya, Japan and this year, I will be in Djibouti for a
                      > > total of six months. I've been so fortunate to have these
                      > > opportunities.
                      > >
                      > > But, my heart is in Slovakia. I hope to reminisce a little with
                      > > people who have the same fondness for the country that I do.
                      > >
                      > > Anyway, if you have any questions about any of these places,
                      > > just ask.
                      > >
                      > > Russell McCoy
                      > > Djibouti, Africa
                      > > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

                    • barbara13140
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 12, 2008
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Russell McCoy" <mccoy4984@...>
                        wrote:

                        Hi Russel,
                        Welcome to the group. I was excited to see that you're in Djibouti!
                        If you know Capt. Fahey please tell him hello from Barbara at Kings
                        Bay PWD (I'm a civil servent too). It is indeed a small world.
                        vr/Barbara

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                          Oh, assuming I spelled it correctly, 'hlavna ulice' just means 'main
                          street.' The main street ran through the old downtown area which
                          was very scenic. I loved that walk. I tried to do it every evening
                          when I wasn't busy traveling elsewhere.

                          wrote:

                          > Russ,
                          > Refresh my memory - what is the Hlavna Ulice? My favorite place
                          was the Halasz Bastya (sp?) in Hungary (my dad's side of the
                          family). Mmm, yummy, there was a little place up there where we had
                          the yummiest sweets you can imagine!!! Oh, think warm thoughts for
                          me, and send some of that warmth my way, ok?

                          > See you later,
                          > Haidee
                          > haideec@...

                        • Russell McCoy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                            Caye,

                            I visited Kosice many times. It was about a half hour by train from
                            Presov and about double the size. I'll be putting pictures of it up
                            soon on my website.

                            You're lucky to have relatives there. I promised my friends I would
                            come see them, but haven't been able to make the trip yet. I still
                            have too much traveling to do in other parts of the world!!

                            Take care,

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Hi, Barbara:

                              Thanks for writing. I don't know that captain but I'll try to
                              locate him and pass on your message. How long were you here for? I
                              will be here for six months total with a scheduled departure of
                              April. Actually, I don't live on the camp. I live in a hotel
                              downtown so I'm really experiencing the country!!

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "barbara13140" <bhardin@...>

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                                Hey Russ,
                                Alas I haven't been there. Capt. Fahey was our PWDCO here at Kings
                                Bay. We both happen to be Akron natives. I was sorry to lose him when
                                he was sent to Djibouti. I would imagine you could find him at your
                                PW Directorate there unless he's been reassigned. Thanks.
                                vr/Barbara

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                                  Barbara:

                                  I'll attempt to locate him and then let you know whether or not I
                                  was successful. Take care.