OT:Carpathian Mtns ... a subsystem of the Alps-Himalaya System

  • Fred G Kovalyak
    Message 1 of 72 , Jan 3, 2008
      I didnt know the Carpathian Mtns were part of the Alps & Himalaya Mtns.
      For those of you that might want to know more about this Mtn chain ...check out
      the info and URL's below:

      Carpathian Mtns.
      The Carpathian Mountains population is estimated to have about 8100 bears and
      Carpathian and Dinaric Mountains reach far higher densities than populations
      http://www.carnivoreconservation.org/files/actionplans/coe/SN114-E.pdf - -Cached

      Carpathian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      In late Roman documents, the Eastern Carpathian Mountains were referred to
      as Montes Sarmatici. The Western Carpathians were called Carpates. ...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Mountains - 69k - Cached
      Divisions of the Carpathians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      This is a detailed overview of the subdivisions of the Carpathian
      Mountains. The Carpathians are a "subsystem" of the Alps-Himalaya System and are
      further ...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Carpathians - 96k - Cached

      http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_work/europe/what_we_do/danube_carpathian/blue_river_green_mtn/carpathian_mountains/index.cfm
      > - 21k - Cached
      >

      > Mountain guide - Carpathian Mountains
      > Carpathians or Carpathian Mountains, (Czech, Pol., and Ukr. Karpaty, Rom.
      > Carpatii, major mountain system of central and E Europe, extending c.930 mi
      > (1500 ...
      > http://www.igf.fuw.edu.pl/hill/eucarp.html - 8k - Cached
      >

      > SKI, HIKE, SEE, BIKE the CARPATHIAN MOUNTAINS
      > Discover the wonderful world of Carpathian Mountains!
      > http://www.obs-us.com/obs/romanian/tour97/index.html - 3k - Cached
      >

      > Vampires Carpathian Mountains
      > Carpathian Mountains, major mountain system, central and eastern Europe,
      > extending
      > 1500 km (900 mi) in a great semicircle from Bratislava, Slovakia, ...
      >
      > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shades/demons/vampires/carpathianmountains.htm -
      > 12k - Cached
      >

      > Carpathian Mountains - Encyclopedia.com
      > Mountain system, eastern Europe. It extends along the Slovakia-Poland border
      > and
      > southward through Ukraine and eastern Romania about 900 mi (1450 km)
      > http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1B1-359879.html - 68k - Cached
      >

      > Goobix.com: Carpathian Mountains Images
      > Carpathian Mountains Images, taken August the 10th, 2005.
      > http://www.goobix.com/carpathian-mountains-images/ - 14k - Cached
      >

      > Result Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >>
      >
      > Copyright 1999-2007 Dell Inc.About Dell | Google Privacy | Google Terms of
      > Service

    • Cathie McAdams
      Message 72 of 72 , Feb 11, 2010
        Don't forget to drive with your headlights on at all times.  We were stopped not 100 yrads outside Kosice airport and couldn't imagine what we did wrong.  My husband identified us as Americans, the officer reached in, turned the headlights on and said 'We drive with the headlights on in Slovakia'.  Enjoy your visit' and watched us pull off.

        Also, there is no right turn on red there.  We asked a family member there about it and she didn't understand because red means stop.  'You can't go when you are supposed to stop'.

        As someone else advised, just drive defensively.  I have driven there on 2 different trips.  If you can drive in the big cities in America, that's how they drive everywhere in Slovakia.

        Cathie