Spiesz

    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 10, 2007
      I meant to send out a reminder about the next chapter on Friday, but forgot. I haven't had a chance to read the chapter yet myself. Is anyone out there still reading the book?

    • bike_for_life2003
      Message 39 of 39 , May 16, 2008
        Good point, Chuck....

        I personally still find it hard to remember that Europe in the middle
        ages was much different than the Europe of today. In the 13th
        century, that part of Hungary which is present-day Slovakia could have
        been quite urbanized when compared to other parts of the country.

        Regarding references to Slovakia/Slovenia in Julie's readings, it's
        not surprising. Slavic settlement of what is modern-day Slovenia
        began in 550 and originated in Moravia so there is an historical link.
        More on Slovenia's history can be found here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Slovenia

        I didn't study Slovenian prior to my short visit to Ljubljana in 1999.
        That said, having now studied Slovak for several years and looking at
        online Slovenian language courses, one can see quite a bit of
        similarity between the languages much as I saw with Croatian when
        visiting there a couple of years ago. I would say it's like the
        similarity between Spanish and Italian.

        Paul in NW Florida

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne