Re: [Slovak-World] Happy Feast of Nicholas

  • Edie
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
      Same to you and everyone on the list!
      edie

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Gregory J Kopchak
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:57 AM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Happy Feast of Nicholas

      Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!

      Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
      Feast Day?

      Greg

    • Marianne Petruska
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
        My sister & I share a residence. Though not an official "celebration"
        (since Nicholas Day falls mid-week), we did ours this past Sunday as we
        started our annual Christmas decorating.

        My sister has collections of both "Olde World" European "Santa" figurines --
        a collection started for her by our late mother. She also has the
        International St Nicholas/Bishop Nicholas figurines representing Austria,
        Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Russia & Poland. (We're hoping
        to add the figurine for Slovakia by Jan. 6th!)

        Candle-lighting will be done this evening (something our late mother started
        as our Nicholas Day celebration).

        MARIANNE

        On Dec 6, 2007 7:57 AM, Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

        > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
        >
        > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
        > Feast Day?
        >
        > Greg

      • rson6542
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
          Hi Everyone,
          I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
          learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
          possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
          descent and have lived in the US my whole life.

          Thank You
          Rick

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...>
          wrote:

          > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
          >
          > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
          > Feast Day?
          >
          > Greg

        • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
            Rick,

            The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
            know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
            their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
            good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
            some children receiving coal when he was little.

            I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
            up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
            feast day.

            Michelle Maco Mader
            Cleveland, Ohio USA

          • Rick Sonzella
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
              Thank You for the explanation.
              Since I have become a member of this group last week I have learned so much about the Slovak community.

              Rick

              "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)" <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:
              Rick,

              The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
              know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
              their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
              good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
              some children receiving coal when he was little.

              I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
              up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
              feast day.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA

            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                Rick:

                Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                world including Italy....

                http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                Greg

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                >
                > Thank You
                > Rick
                >

                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                > >
                > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                > > Feast Day?
                > >
                > > Greg

              • Rick Sonzella
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                  TY Greg. I enjoyed reading your post. it was very very informative.

                  Rick

                  Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                  Rick:

                  Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                  world including Italy....

                  http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                  Greg

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                  > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                  > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                  > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                  >
                  > Thank You
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                  > >
                  > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                  > > Feast Day?
                  > >
                  > > Greg

                • Marianne Petruska
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Think back to "the Great Depression" era in the U.S.: If you lived in a
                    cold climate, had a big family & along with whatever other gifts each of
                    your 8 kids received s/he got 2 or 3 lumps of coal in her/his stocking (for
                    whatever reason) put all those lumps of coal together you've got heat for
                    your coal stove for Christmas!

                    Having coal miners among my ancestors (and a few in my generation of
                    cousins) we have a different perspective of coal. Still there were those
                    cultures that saw "coal in the stocking" as a gift for a bad child.

                    MARIANNE

                    On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                    Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                    > Rick,
                    >
                    > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                    > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                    > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                    > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                    > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                    >
                    > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                    > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                    > feast day.
                    >
                    > Michelle Maco Mader
                    > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  • Gergely
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                      C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never heard of that one.
                      Jack Gergely

                      Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                      > Rick,
                      >
                      > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                      > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                      > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                      > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                      > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                      >
                      > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                      > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                      > feast day.
                      >
                      > Michelle Maco Mader
                      > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                    • Marianne Petruska
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                        I know this is "off topic" but ...

                        ... it's tiring to hear the "bad rap" coal gets at Christmas time --
                        especially to those of us who (as I am) are *proud *to say they're the
                        descendants/relative of coal miners.

                        In the late 1800s/early 1900s, when most of the Slovak immigrants came to
                        the U.S., many Slovaks (along with other Europeans) were recruited by the
                        coal mining industry, coming to the U.S. with their passage paid by the
                        mining companies. Though not rich, those miners were then able to
                        afford bring wives & children to the U.S. -- or other family members, many
                        of whom also went to work in the mines. Thanks to coal the miners provided
                        housing (they still paid rent in some "company housing"), food & clothing
                        for their families. (And remember: There was no welfare system in those
                        days -- you worked or you starved.)
                        MARIANNE

                        (AND: Coal is *still *considered the largest single source of fuel for the
                        generation of electricity world-wide.)

                        On Dec 7, 2007 6:12 AM, Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

                        > C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never
                        > heard of that one.
                        > Jack Gergely

                      • maxine
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                          Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still getting it! maxine

                          Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                          > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                          > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                          > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                          > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                          >
                          > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                          > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                          > feast day.
                          >
                          > Michelle Maco Mader
                          > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                        • Dennis Ragan
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                            We had a Slovak exchange student with us at this time last year, and I just remembered what she told us about St. Nicholas' feast day in Slovakia. I hope I have this right, but she told us that when she was younger, two figures showed at her house, one being St. Nicholas and the other being a devil-like figure. St. Nicholas brought candy and gifts, but the other figure brought something kids didn't generally like -- I think it might have been onions. Whatever it was, she loved what the bad figure brought and always went to him instead of St. Nick.
                            Dennis

                            Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

                            > On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                            > Michelle.A.Mader@... <Michelle.A.Mader%40nasa.gov>> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Rick,
                            > >
                            > > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                            > > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                            > > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                            > > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                            > > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                            > >
                            > > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                            > > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                            > > feast day.
                            > >
                            > > Michelle Maco Mader
                            > > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                          • Gergely
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                              I haven't gotten it lately, but I put anthracite lumps in my son-in-law's stocking last Christmas.

                              Jack Gergely

                              Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                              > Rick,
                              >
                              > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                              > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                              > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                              > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                              > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                              >
                              > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                              > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                              > feast day.
                              >
                              > Michelle Maco Mader
                              > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            • Sinbad Schwartz
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
                                <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew

                                I bet you're one of those that got coal in your shoe. ;-)

                                Ru
                              • panther7775
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                  To All:

                                  Well, I remember one year when i was a little girl, i got a lump of
                                  coal and i cried like a baby, and my Parents and Grandparents got the
                                  biggest kick out of it. Good thing I've been good ever since :)
                                  Bonnie

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                  > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                  getting it! maxine

                                • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                    Yeah, good thing is it's getting harder to come by around here :-/

                                    Michelle

                                    ________________________________

                                    <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                                    (GRC-CHC0)"

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                      Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                      of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                      Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                      visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                      there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                      wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                      I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                      proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                      Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                      he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                      & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                      cool gift".

                                      MARIANNE

                                      On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                      > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                      > getting it! maxine

                                    • Gergely
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                        Which mine was that Marianne?
                                        Jack Gergely

                                        Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                        of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                        Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                        visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                        there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                        wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                        I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                        proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                        Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                        he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                        & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                        cool gift".

                                        MARIANNE

                                        On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                        > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                        > getting it! maxine

                                      • Marianne Petruska
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                          Crucible (Greene Co.), PA. Attached are some photos from that trip.

                                          MARIANNE

                                        • helene cincebeaux
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                            Hi everyone - just learned that some photos from the
                                            Nov 9 event at the Slovak Embassy that included the
                                            kroj parade are posted at

                                            http://picasaweb.google.com/dmuldrew/SlovakianEmbassy?authkey=CDRkk-x_skw

                                            helene

                                            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                          • pjjano@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                              thank you so much for sharing looks like everyone had a great time Paul
                                              Janosik