Re: [Slovak-World] Happy Feast of Nicholas

  • Edie
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
      I used to have my kids put their shoes by the fireplace the night before and then after they were asleep, I would put candy in their shoes.

      In the morning, the kids would run to see what St. Nicholas brought them! It was a lot of fun.

      But I don't know if young parents do this anymore. But I encourage people to do it because it's a good way to teach the kids about St. Nicholas, the first Santa Claus.
      edie

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
        Same to you and everyone on the list!
        edie

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
          My sister & I share a residence. Though not an official "celebration"
          (since Nicholas Day falls mid-week), we did ours this past Sunday as we
          started our annual Christmas decorating.

          My sister has collections of both "Olde World" European "Santa" figurines --
          a collection started for her by our late mother. She also has the
          International St Nicholas/Bishop Nicholas figurines representing Austria,
          Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Russia & Poland. (We're hoping
          to add the figurine for Slovakia by Jan. 6th!)

          Candle-lighting will be done this evening (something our late mother started
          as our Nicholas Day celebration).

          MARIANNE

          On Dec 6, 2007 7:57 AM, Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

          > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
          >
          > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
          > Feast Day?
          >
          > Greg

        • rson6542
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
            Hi Everyone,
            I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
            learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
            possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
            descent and have lived in the US my whole life.

            Thank You
            Rick

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...>
            wrote:

            > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
            >
            > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
            > Feast Day?
            >
            > Greg

          • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
              Rick,

              The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
              know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
              their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
              good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
              some children receiving coal when he was little.

              I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
              up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
              feast day.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA

            • Rick Sonzella
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                Thank You for the explanation.
                Since I have become a member of this group last week I have learned so much about the Slovak community.

                Rick

                "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)" <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:
                Rick,

                The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                some children receiving coal when he was little.

                I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                feast day.

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA

              • Gregory J Kopchak
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                  Rick:

                  Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                  world including Italy....

                  http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                  Greg

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                  > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                  > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                  > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                  >
                  > Thank You
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                  > >
                  > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                  > > Feast Day?
                  > >
                  > > Greg

                • Rick Sonzella
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                    TY Greg. I enjoyed reading your post. it was very very informative.

                    Rick

                    Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                    Rick:

                    Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                    world including Italy....

                    http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                    Greg

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                    > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                    > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                    > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                    >
                    > Thank You
                    > Rick
                    >

                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                    > >
                    > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                    > > Feast Day?
                    > >
                    > > Greg

                  • Marianne Petruska
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Think back to "the Great Depression" era in the U.S.: If you lived in a
                      cold climate, had a big family & along with whatever other gifts each of
                      your 8 kids received s/he got 2 or 3 lumps of coal in her/his stocking (for
                      whatever reason) put all those lumps of coal together you've got heat for
                      your coal stove for Christmas!

                      Having coal miners among my ancestors (and a few in my generation of
                      cousins) we have a different perspective of coal. Still there were those
                      cultures that saw "coal in the stocking" as a gift for a bad child.

                      MARIANNE

                      On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                      Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                      > Rick,
                      >
                      > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                      > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                      > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                      > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                      > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                      >
                      > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                      > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                      > feast day.
                      >
                      > Michelle Maco Mader
                      > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                    • Gergely
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                        C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never heard of that one.
                        Jack Gergely

                        Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                        > Rick,
                        >
                        > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                        > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                        > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                        > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                        > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                        >
                        > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                        > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                        > feast day.
                        >
                        > Michelle Maco Mader
                        > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                      • Marianne Petruska
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                          I know this is "off topic" but ...

                          ... it's tiring to hear the "bad rap" coal gets at Christmas time --
                          especially to those of us who (as I am) are *proud *to say they're the
                          descendants/relative of coal miners.

                          In the late 1800s/early 1900s, when most of the Slovak immigrants came to
                          the U.S., many Slovaks (along with other Europeans) were recruited by the
                          coal mining industry, coming to the U.S. with their passage paid by the
                          mining companies. Though not rich, those miners were then able to
                          afford bring wives & children to the U.S. -- or other family members, many
                          of whom also went to work in the mines. Thanks to coal the miners provided
                          housing (they still paid rent in some "company housing"), food & clothing
                          for their families. (And remember: There was no welfare system in those
                          days -- you worked or you starved.)
                          MARIANNE

                          (AND: Coal is *still *considered the largest single source of fuel for the
                          generation of electricity world-wide.)

                          On Dec 7, 2007 6:12 AM, Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

                          > C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never
                          > heard of that one.
                          > Jack Gergely

                        • maxine
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                            Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still getting it! maxine

                            Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                            > Rick,
                            >
                            > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                            > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                            > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                            > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                            > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                            >
                            > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                            > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                            > feast day.
                            >
                            > Michelle Maco Mader
                            > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                          • Dennis Ragan
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                              We had a Slovak exchange student with us at this time last year, and I just remembered what she told us about St. Nicholas' feast day in Slovakia. I hope I have this right, but she told us that when she was younger, two figures showed at her house, one being St. Nicholas and the other being a devil-like figure. St. Nicholas brought candy and gifts, but the other figure brought something kids didn't generally like -- I think it might have been onions. Whatever it was, she loved what the bad figure brought and always went to him instead of St. Nick.
                              Dennis

                              Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

                              > On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                              > Michelle.A.Mader@... <Michelle.A.Mader%40nasa.gov>> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Rick,
                              > >
                              > > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                              > > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                              > > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                              > > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                              > > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                              > >
                              > > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                              > > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                              > > feast day.
                              > >
                              > > Michelle Maco Mader
                              > > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            • Gergely
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                I haven't gotten it lately, but I put anthracite lumps in my son-in-law's stocking last Christmas.

                                Jack Gergely

                                Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                > Rick,
                                >
                                > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                >
                                > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                > feast day.
                                >
                                > Michelle Maco Mader
                                > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                              • Sinbad Schwartz
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
                                  <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                  > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew

                                  I bet you're one of those that got coal in your shoe. ;-)

                                  Ru
                                • panther7775
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                    To All:

                                    Well, I remember one year when i was a little girl, i got a lump of
                                    coal and i cried like a baby, and my Parents and Grandparents got the
                                    biggest kick out of it. Good thing I've been good ever since :)
                                    Bonnie

                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                    > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                    getting it! maxine

                                  • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                      Yeah, good thing is it's getting harder to come by around here :-/

                                      Michelle

                                      ________________________________

                                      <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                                      (GRC-CHC0)"

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                        Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                        of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                        Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                        visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                        there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                        wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                        I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                        proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                        Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                        he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                        & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                        cool gift".

                                        MARIANNE

                                        On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                        > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                        > getting it! maxine

                                      • Gergely
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                          Which mine was that Marianne?
                                          Jack Gergely

                                          Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                          of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                          Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                          visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                          there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                          wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                          I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                          proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                          Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                          he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                          & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                          cool gift".

                                          MARIANNE

                                          On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                          > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                          > getting it! maxine

                                        • Marianne Petruska
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                            Crucible (Greene Co.), PA. Attached are some photos from that trip.

                                            MARIANNE

                                          • helene cincebeaux
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                              Hi everyone - just learned that some photos from the
                                              Nov 9 event at the Slovak Embassy that included the
                                              kroj parade are posted at

                                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dmuldrew/SlovakianEmbassy?authkey=CDRkk-x_skw

                                              helene

                                              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                            • pjjano@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                thank you so much for sharing looks like everyone had a great time Paul
                                                Janosik