Re: [Slovak-World] Happy Feast of Nicholas

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
      There was a Divine Liturgy last night at church -- and last Sunday (and again at our service at a local mental health facility on Monday Night) our priest dressed up as St. Nicholas and passed out chocolates to the children in their shoes -- they left them outside of their Sunday School classes. We will also be having a children's pagent this coming Sunday about the nativity with a bit of St. Nick thrown in for fun.

      Caye

      Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

      Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!

      Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
      Feast Day?

      Greg

    • Edie
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
        I used to have my kids put their shoes by the fireplace the night before and then after they were asleep, I would put candy in their shoes.

        In the morning, the kids would run to see what St. Nicholas brought them! It was a lot of fun.

        But I don't know if young parents do this anymore. But I encourage people to do it because it's a good way to teach the kids about St. Nicholas, the first Santa Claus.
        edie

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
          Same to you and everyone on the list!
          edie

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
            My sister & I share a residence. Though not an official "celebration"
            (since Nicholas Day falls mid-week), we did ours this past Sunday as we
            started our annual Christmas decorating.

            My sister has collections of both "Olde World" European "Santa" figurines --
            a collection started for her by our late mother. She also has the
            International St Nicholas/Bishop Nicholas figurines representing Austria,
            Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Russia & Poland. (We're hoping
            to add the figurine for Slovakia by Jan. 6th!)

            Candle-lighting will be done this evening (something our late mother started
            as our Nicholas Day celebration).

            MARIANNE

            On Dec 6, 2007 7:57 AM, Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

            > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
            >
            > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
            > Feast Day?
            >
            > Greg

          • rson6542
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
              Hi Everyone,
              I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
              learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
              possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
              descent and have lived in the US my whole life.

              Thank You
              Rick

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...>
              wrote:

              > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
              >
              > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
              > Feast Day?
              >
              > Greg

            • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                Rick,

                The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                some children receiving coal when he was little.

                I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                feast day.

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA

              • Rick Sonzella
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                  Thank You for the explanation.
                  Since I have become a member of this group last week I have learned so much about the Slovak community.

                  Rick

                  "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)" <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:
                  Rick,

                  The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                  know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                  their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                  good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                  some children receiving coal when he was little.

                  I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                  up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                  feast day.

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA

                • Gregory J Kopchak
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Rick:

                    Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                    world including Italy....

                    http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                    Greg

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                    > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                    > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                    > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                    >
                    > Thank You
                    > Rick
                    >

                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                    > >
                    > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                    > > Feast Day?
                    > >
                    > > Greg

                  • Rick Sonzella
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                      TY Greg. I enjoyed reading your post. it was very very informative.

                      Rick

                      Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                      Rick:

                      Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                      world including Italy....

                      http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                      Greg

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Everyone,
                      > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                      > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                      > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                      > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                      >
                      > Thank You
                      > Rick
                      >

                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                      > >
                      > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                      > > Feast Day?
                      > >
                      > > Greg

                    • Marianne Petruska
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                        Think back to "the Great Depression" era in the U.S.: If you lived in a
                        cold climate, had a big family & along with whatever other gifts each of
                        your 8 kids received s/he got 2 or 3 lumps of coal in her/his stocking (for
                        whatever reason) put all those lumps of coal together you've got heat for
                        your coal stove for Christmas!

                        Having coal miners among my ancestors (and a few in my generation of
                        cousins) we have a different perspective of coal. Still there were those
                        cultures that saw "coal in the stocking" as a gift for a bad child.

                        MARIANNE

                        On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                        Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                        > Rick,
                        >
                        > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                        > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                        > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                        > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                        > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                        >
                        > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                        > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                        > feast day.
                        >
                        > Michelle Maco Mader
                        > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                      • Gergely
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                          C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never heard of that one.
                          Jack Gergely

                          Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                          > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                          > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                          > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                          > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                          >
                          > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                          > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                          > feast day.
                          >
                          > Michelle Maco Mader
                          > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                        • Marianne Petruska
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                            I know this is "off topic" but ...

                            ... it's tiring to hear the "bad rap" coal gets at Christmas time --
                            especially to those of us who (as I am) are *proud *to say they're the
                            descendants/relative of coal miners.

                            In the late 1800s/early 1900s, when most of the Slovak immigrants came to
                            the U.S., many Slovaks (along with other Europeans) were recruited by the
                            coal mining industry, coming to the U.S. with their passage paid by the
                            mining companies. Though not rich, those miners were then able to
                            afford bring wives & children to the U.S. -- or other family members, many
                            of whom also went to work in the mines. Thanks to coal the miners provided
                            housing (they still paid rent in some "company housing"), food & clothing
                            for their families. (And remember: There was no welfare system in those
                            days -- you worked or you starved.)
                            MARIANNE

                            (AND: Coal is *still *considered the largest single source of fuel for the
                            generation of electricity world-wide.)

                            On Dec 7, 2007 6:12 AM, Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

                            > C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never
                            > heard of that one.
                            > Jack Gergely

                          • maxine
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                              Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still getting it! maxine

                              Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                              > Rick,
                              >
                              > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                              > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                              > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                              > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                              > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                              >
                              > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                              > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                              > feast day.
                              >
                              > Michelle Maco Mader
                              > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            • Dennis Ragan
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                We had a Slovak exchange student with us at this time last year, and I just remembered what she told us about St. Nicholas' feast day in Slovakia. I hope I have this right, but she told us that when she was younger, two figures showed at her house, one being St. Nicholas and the other being a devil-like figure. St. Nicholas brought candy and gifts, but the other figure brought something kids didn't generally like -- I think it might have been onions. Whatever it was, she loved what the bad figure brought and always went to him instead of St. Nick.
                                Dennis

                                Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

                                > On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                                > Michelle.A.Mader@... <Michelle.A.Mader%40nasa.gov>> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Rick,
                                > >
                                > > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                > > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                > > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                > > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                > > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                > >
                                > > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                > > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                > > feast day.
                                > >
                                > > Michelle Maco Mader
                                > > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                              • Gergely
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                  I haven't gotten it lately, but I put anthracite lumps in my son-in-law's stocking last Christmas.

                                  Jack Gergely

                                  Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                  > Rick,
                                  >
                                  > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                  > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                  > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                  > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                  > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                  >
                                  > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                  > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                  > feast day.
                                  >
                                  > Michelle Maco Mader
                                  > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                                • Sinbad Schwartz
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
                                    <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                    > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew

                                    I bet you're one of those that got coal in your shoe. ;-)

                                    Ru
                                  • panther7775
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                      To All:

                                      Well, I remember one year when i was a little girl, i got a lump of
                                      coal and i cried like a baby, and my Parents and Grandparents got the
                                      biggest kick out of it. Good thing I've been good ever since :)
                                      Bonnie

                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                      > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                      getting it! maxine

                                    • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                        Yeah, good thing is it's getting harder to come by around here :-/

                                        Michelle

                                        ________________________________

                                        <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                                        (GRC-CHC0)"

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                          Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                          of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                          Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                          visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                          there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                          wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                          I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                          proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                          Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                          he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                          & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                          cool gift".

                                          MARIANNE

                                          On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                          > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                          > getting it! maxine

                                        • Gergely
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                            Which mine was that Marianne?
                                            Jack Gergely

                                            Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                            of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                            Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                            visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                            there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                            wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                            I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                            proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                            Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                            he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                            & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                            cool gift".

                                            MARIANNE

                                            On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                            > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                            > getting it! maxine

                                          • Marianne Petruska
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                              Crucible (Greene Co.), PA. Attached are some photos from that trip.

                                              MARIANNE

                                            • helene cincebeaux
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                                Hi everyone - just learned that some photos from the
                                                Nov 9 event at the Slovak Embassy that included the
                                                kroj parade are posted at

                                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dmuldrew/SlovakianEmbassy?authkey=CDRkk-x_skw

                                                helene

                                                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                              • pjjano@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                  thank you so much for sharing looks like everyone had a great time Paul
                                                  Janosik