Re: [Slovak-World] Happy Feast of Nicholas

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
      I stuck a candy bar in my (16-yr-old) daughter's shoe when I went in to tell her that school was delayed 2 hrs because of snow. My husband will find his favorite chandy bar in his shoes when he goes downstairs. :-)

      Our local Slovak American Society of Washington had a big Sv. Mikulas party on Sunday, with a visit from Sv. Mikulas (who spoke English), but no devil or angel. The "ABC Song" was sung by a number of little kids who couldn't remember anything else in the excitement of the moment.

      >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 12/6/2007 10:57 AM >>>

      Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!

      Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
      Feast Day?

      Greg
    • Caye Caswick

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
          I used to have my kids put their shoes by the fireplace the night before and then after they were asleep, I would put candy in their shoes.

          In the morning, the kids would run to see what St. Nicholas brought them! It was a lot of fun.

          But I don't know if young parents do this anymore. But I encourage people to do it because it's a good way to teach the kids about St. Nicholas, the first Santa Claus.
          edie

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
            Same to you and everyone on the list!
            edie

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
              My sister & I share a residence. Though not an official "celebration"
              (since Nicholas Day falls mid-week), we did ours this past Sunday as we
              started our annual Christmas decorating.

              My sister has collections of both "Olde World" European "Santa" figurines --
              a collection started for her by our late mother. She also has the
              International St Nicholas/Bishop Nicholas figurines representing Austria,
              Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Russia & Poland. (We're hoping
              to add the figurine for Slovakia by Jan. 6th!)

              Candle-lighting will be done this evening (something our late mother started
              as our Nicholas Day celebration).

              MARIANNE

              On Dec 6, 2007 7:57 AM, Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

              > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
              >
              > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
              > Feast Day?
              >
              > Greg

            • rson6542
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                Hi Everyone,
                I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                descent and have lived in the US my whole life.

                Thank You
                Rick

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...>
                wrote:

                > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                >
                > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                > Feast Day?
                >
                > Greg

              • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                  Rick,

                  The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                  know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                  their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                  good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                  some children receiving coal when he was little.

                  I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                  up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                  feast day.

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA

                • Rick Sonzella
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Thank You for the explanation.
                    Since I have become a member of this group last week I have learned so much about the Slovak community.

                    Rick

                    "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)" <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:
                    Rick,

                    The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                    know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                    their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                    good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                    some children receiving coal when he was little.

                    I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                    up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                    feast day.

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  • Gregory J Kopchak
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Rick:

                      Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                      world including Italy....

                      http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                      Greg

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Everyone,
                      > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                      > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                      > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                      > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                      >
                      > Thank You
                      > Rick
                      >

                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                      > >
                      > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                      > > Feast Day?
                      > >
                      > > Greg

                    • Rick Sonzella
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                        TY Greg. I enjoyed reading your post. it was very very informative.

                        Rick

                        Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
                        Rick:

                        Read about how the Feast of Nicholas is celebrated around the
                        world including Italy....

                        http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas/messages/?msg=36

                        Greg

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "rson6542" <rson6542@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Everyone,
                        > I am sorry I am not aware of the Feast of Nicholas. I am starting to
                        > learn the Slovak Culture and I am sorry if I seem ignorant. If
                        > possible would someone please explain to me. I am from Italian
                        > descent and have lived in the US my whole life.
                        >
                        > Thank You
                        > Rick
                        >

                        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Happy Feast of Nicholas to all!
                        > >
                        > > Is anyone doing anything special today to celebrate the
                        > > Feast Day?
                        > >
                        > > Greg

                      • Marianne Petruska
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 6, 2007
                          Think back to "the Great Depression" era in the U.S.: If you lived in a
                          cold climate, had a big family & along with whatever other gifts each of
                          your 8 kids received s/he got 2 or 3 lumps of coal in her/his stocking (for
                          whatever reason) put all those lumps of coal together you've got heat for
                          your coal stove for Christmas!

                          Having coal miners among my ancestors (and a few in my generation of
                          cousins) we have a different perspective of coal. Still there were those
                          cultures that saw "coal in the stocking" as a gift for a bad child.

                          MARIANNE

                          On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                          Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                          > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                          > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                          > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                          > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                          >
                          > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                          > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                          > feast day.
                          >
                          > Michelle Maco Mader
                          > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                        • Gergely
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                            C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never heard of that one.
                            Jack Gergely

                            Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                            > Rick,
                            >
                            > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                            > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                            > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                            > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                            > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                            >
                            > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                            > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                            > feast day.
                            >
                            > Michelle Maco Mader
                            > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                          • Marianne Petruska
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                              I know this is "off topic" but ...

                              ... it's tiring to hear the "bad rap" coal gets at Christmas time --
                              especially to those of us who (as I am) are *proud *to say they're the
                              descendants/relative of coal miners.

                              In the late 1800s/early 1900s, when most of the Slovak immigrants came to
                              the U.S., many Slovaks (along with other Europeans) were recruited by the
                              coal mining industry, coming to the U.S. with their passage paid by the
                              mining companies. Though not rich, those miners were then able to
                              afford bring wives & children to the U.S. -- or other family members, many
                              of whom also went to work in the mines. Thanks to coal the miners provided
                              housing (they still paid rent in some "company housing"), food & clothing
                              for their families. (And remember: There was no welfare system in those
                              days -- you worked or you starved.)
                              MARIANNE

                              (AND: Coal is *still *considered the largest single source of fuel for the
                              generation of electricity world-wide.)

                              On Dec 7, 2007 6:12 AM, Gergely <gergely@...> wrote:

                              > C'mon. That's a big stretch. Coal in stockings for good kids? Never
                              > heard of that one.
                              > Jack Gergely

                            • maxine
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still getting it! maxine

                                Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                > Rick,
                                >
                                > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                >
                                > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                > feast day.
                                >
                                > Michelle Maco Mader
                                > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                              • Dennis Ragan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                  We had a Slovak exchange student with us at this time last year, and I just remembered what she told us about St. Nicholas' feast day in Slovakia. I hope I have this right, but she told us that when she was younger, two figures showed at her house, one being St. Nicholas and the other being a devil-like figure. St. Nicholas brought candy and gifts, but the other figure brought something kids didn't generally like -- I think it might have been onions. Whatever it was, she loved what the bad figure brought and always went to him instead of St. Nick.
                                  Dennis

                                  Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

                                  > On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0) <
                                  > Michelle.A.Mader@... <Michelle.A.Mader%40nasa.gov>> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Rick,
                                  > >
                                  > > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                  > > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                  > > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                  > > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                  > > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                  > >
                                  > > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                  > > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                  > > feast day.
                                  > >
                                  > > Michelle Maco Mader
                                  > > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                                • Gergely
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                    I haven't gotten it lately, but I put anthracite lumps in my son-in-law's stocking last Christmas.

                                    Jack Gergely

                                    Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                    > Rick,
                                    >
                                    > The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in many European countries. I
                                    > know that the Germans and the Dutch celebrate it. Children put out
                                    > their shoes and St. Nick fills them with small gifts if the child was
                                    > good and coal if the child was bad. My German husband got to witness
                                    > some children receiving coal when he was little.
                                    >
                                    > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew
                                    > up in an ethnically diverse area and Catholic that I am aware of this
                                    > feast day.
                                    >
                                    > Michelle Maco Mader
                                    > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                                  • Sinbad Schwartz
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
                                      <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

                                      > I have lied in the US my whole life, too, but it may be because I grew

                                      I bet you're one of those that got coal in your shoe. ;-)

                                      Ru
                                    • panther7775
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                        To All:

                                        Well, I remember one year when i was a little girl, i got a lump of
                                        coal and i cried like a baby, and my Parents and Grandparents got the
                                        biggest kick out of it. Good thing I've been good ever since :)
                                        Bonnie

                                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                        > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                        getting it! maxine

                                      • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                          Yeah, good thing is it's getting harder to come by around here :-/

                                          Michelle

                                          ________________________________

                                          <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                                          (GRC-CHC0)"

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                            Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                            of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                            Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                            visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                            there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                            wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                            I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                            proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                            Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                            he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                            & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                            cool gift".

                                            MARIANNE

                                            On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                            > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                            > getting it! maxine

                                          • Gergely
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 7, 2007
                                              Which mine was that Marianne?
                                              Jack Gergely

                                              Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
                                              of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
                                              Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
                                              visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
                                              there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
                                              wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

                                              I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
                                              proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

                                              Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
                                              he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
                                              & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
                                              cool gift".

                                              MARIANNE

                                              On Dec 7, 2007 9:10 AM, maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                              > Sure, sure Jack, but YOU never got coal in you stocking! I'm still
                                              > getting it! maxine

                                            • Marianne Petruska
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                                Crucible (Greene Co.), PA. Attached are some photos from that trip.

                                                MARIANNE

                                              • helene cincebeaux
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 8, 2007
                                                  Hi everyone - just learned that some photos from the
                                                  Nov 9 event at the Slovak Embassy that included the
                                                  kroj parade are posted at

                                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/dmuldrew/SlovakianEmbassy?authkey=CDRkk-x_skw

                                                  helene

                                                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                                • pjjano@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                    thank you so much for sharing looks like everyone had a great time Paul
                                                    Janosik